• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

The Phantom of the Opera Resynched

If you have watched this fanedit, please rate it here:

• 10 stars (awesome)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 stars

• 8 stars

• 7 stars

• 6 stars (average)

• 5 stars

• 4 stars

• 3 stars

• 2 stars

• 1 star (atrocious)

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.
Reaction score
Trophy Points
by Amazming Studios
This vesion contains synchronized footage from the movie to the original London cast recording.

original film name: The Phantom Of The Opera
film studio name: Warner

Date Original Film Was Released: 2004
Date Edit Was Released: May 2006

Original Runtime: 143 min
New Runtime: ???
Amount of time Cut/Added: unknown

Cuts removed/added/extended:

* Some scenes were stretched, some others were shortened to synch up to the audio.

DVD - Features:

1. NTSC Single Layer

Conceptual improvements/advancements of edit over original:

One of my biggest gripes with the POTO movie (directed by Joel Schumacher) was the quality of the singing — especially that of the title character. Really, Michael Crawford has no equal in that role! So I synchronized footage from the movie to the original London cast recording. Although I initially considered using a hybrid soundtrack, I ended up using only the cast recording, so there are no sound effects of any kind — just pure singing of the highest caliber. I had to leave out some parts of the recording that I had absolutely no footage for (the reprise of "Notes", for example, and the rehearsal for Don Juan), occasionally get creative when I didn't have enough footage for some scenes (or when it was simply impossible to get them to match), and even (daringly and hopefully convincingly) synchronize some words to completely different words spoken by the actors in the movie (most notably at the end of the Masquerade scene, after the Phantom makes his appearance). For the most part, however, I basically had to stretch and speed up segments of the video to match the audio.

In my edit, the chandelier falls at the right time — at the end of the first act! At the end of the Phantom's reprise of "All I Ask of You", the camera pans down from the rooftop of the opera house, and I sort of zoom-faded through the walls of the opera house into the theater, where Christine is taking her curtain call (using footage from earlier in the movie), and made the chandelier flicker wildly before having it fall (using footage from later in the movie, of course). After the chandelier strikes the ground, I fade to black, and have the words "six months later" flash on the screen before the Masquerade scene.

I had the most fun with the swordfight scene at the cemetery (and here's the part that you Star Wars aficianados might be interested in). As some of you may recall, in the stage musical, the Phantom shoots fireballs at Raoul from his skull-topped staff. In the movie, they trivialized that into a much less suspenseful swordfight (in which Raoul actually WINS, heaven forbid!). Having only footage of the swordfight, I made the best of it by rotoscoping the Phantom's sword into a flaming sword (a la lightsabers) and having fireballs fly out whenever his blade strikes Raoul's.

Finally, my edit ends where the movie should have ended — with Meg picking up the Phantom's mask! I zoomed into the mask and fade into a final shot of the Phantom and Christine together (from the "Music of the Night" scene), with a titlecard crediting the voices of Sarah Brightman and Michael Crawford.

The only time I tinkered with the audio (besides seamlessly editing together some disjoint portions of the soundtrack) was relegating a portion of the title song (the portion that was cut from the movie) into the background with added reverb, while I used footage of Meg discovering the mirror-door in Christine's dressing room.

persons involved: WMGAN

I've got a review of Phantom of the Opera Resynched up at http://www.fosteronfilm.com/fanedits/phantomoftheoperafe.htm.

Good review, must have been nice to watch...
But, where'd you get YOUR copy from, the rest of us are still looking. :)

the faneditor...and foster. :)

Though I'm not so sure about the fan editor.

you are not so sure he has his own fanedit?
I think every faneditor has his own fanedits. Don't you?

There was some talk over on OT and I think he was saying he only had the Divx version anymore or something.

But for the most part it was a joke about the scarcity of this edit.

The fan editor sent it to me.
It's how I get most of my fan edits -- I review what I'm sent (well, I review some of what I get... I'm way behind because I'm setting up this year's Dragon*Con Film Festival, but once that's done for the year, I'll review all the films I've been sent).

by Amazming Studios
What is it about? This vesion contains synchronized footage from the movie to the original London cast recording.

original film name: The Phantom Of The Opera
film studio name: Warner
Date Original Film Was Released: 2004
Date Edit Was Released: May 2006
Original Runtime: 143 min
New Runtime: ???
Amount of time Cut/Added: unknown

Cuts removed/added/extended:

* Some scenes were stretched, some others were shortened to synch up to the audio.

DVD - Features:

1. NTSC Single Layer

Conceptual improvements/advancements of edit over original:

One of my biggest gripes with the POTO movie (directed by Joel Schumacher) was the quality of the singing -- especially that of the title character. Really, Michael Crawford has no equal in that role! So I synchronized footage from the movie to the original London cast recording. Although I initially considered using a hybrid soundtrack, I ended up using only the cast recording, so there are no sound effects of any kind -- just pure singing of the highest caliber. I had to leave out some parts of the recording that I had absolutely no footage for (the reprise of "Notes", for example, and the rehearsal for Don Juan), occasionally get creative when I didn't have enough footage for some scenes (or when it was simply impossible to get them to match), and even (daringly and hopefully convincingly) synchronize some words to completely different words spoken by the actors in the movie (most notably at the end of the Masquerade scene, after the Phantom makes his appearance). For the most part, however, I basically had to stretch and speed up segments of the video to match the audio.

In my edit, the chandelier falls at the right time -- at the end of the first act! At the end of the Phantom's reprise of "All I Ask of You", the camera pans down from the rooftop of the opera house, and I sort of zoom-faded through the walls of the opera house into the theater, where Christine is taking her curtain call (using footage from earlier in the movie), and made the chandelier flicker wildly before having it fall (using footage from later in the movie, of course). After the chandelier strikes the ground, I fade to black, and have the words "six months later" flash on the screen before the Masquerade scene.

I had the most fun with the swordfight scene at the cemetery (and here's the part that you Star Wars aficianados might be interested in). As some of you may recall, in the stage musical, the Phantom shoots fireballs at Raoul from his skull-topped staff. In the movie, they trivialized that into a much less suspenseful swordfight (in which Raoul actually WINS, heaven forbid!). Having only footage of the swordfight, I made the best of it by rotoscoping the Phantom's sword into a flaming sword (a la lightsabers) and having fireballs fly out whenever his blade strikes Raoul's.

Finally, my edit ends where the movie should have ended -- with Meg picking up the Phantom's mask! I zoomed into the mask and fade into a final shot of the Phantom and Christine together (from the "Music of the Night" scene), with a titlecard crediting the voices of Sarah Brightman and Michael Crawford.

The only time I tinkered with the audio (besides seamlessly editing together some disjoint portions of the soundtrack) was relegating a portion of the title song (the portion that was cut from the movie) into the background with added reverb, while I used footage of Meg discovering the mirror-door in Christine's dressing room.

persons involved: WMGAN

now available on fanedit.info through megaupload as avi.

That sounds awesome...though I've seen/heard neither movie/soundtrack in their complete form. I may have to now.

Oh, and if anyone has time to do this with Evita, please, please do. :)

Back
Top Bottom