• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Passion of J. Robert Oppenheimer – edit with uniform aspect ratio and narrative re-structure

Gibichung

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TLDR: The Passion of J. Robert Oppenheimer focuses on the atomic bomb development and Oppenheimer’s security clearance. Lewis Strauss senate hearing scenes removed completely while introducing his character in the context of conspiratorial intervention. Narrative follows Oppenheimer’s perspective almost exclusively.

full

Background (SPOILERS AHEAD):

Firstly, I’d like to commend the filmmakers and Universal on an incredible 4K physical home release. Such a good-looking movie. Again, Nolan loves to intercut- he does them with tensing up action scenes, he did it as awhole movie in Dunkirk with the 3 time dilations, and in this one he manages to intercut between two court room dramas (between Oppie’s hearing and Strauss’s hearing) while showing the assembly of the atomic bomb in Los Alamos. The ambition was often thrilling, yet occasionally erratic. After seeing it a few times, I looked to streamline the story while maintaining the expressionist form of editing.

Changes:

1. All 2.20:1 footage upscaled to 4K UHD 1.78:1 for uniform aspect ratio throughout the edit. All scenes that were previously 2.20:1 had to be reframed to maintain intention.
  2. Added names as certain characters show up. This was just for me because I’m stupid. There were so many characters here and having name cards may not be much effect to the audience. But I don’t think it hurts to add. I thought might help just having text somewhere on screen as a mental note when characters are brought up later. This was just a “me” problem lol.
  3. Originally, the story had two narratives running in parallel: 1. Fission (Color: Oppie’s POV) and 2. Fusion (B/W: Strauss’s POV). After removing Strauss’s POV, I took Oppie’s security as flashforwards and made those B/W while the rest are in color. The two narratives running in this edit are 1. Pre-trial (Color) and 2. Trial (B/W). I felt that it was easier to immerse in using color as “chronologic and psychological markers” instead of “perspectives”. I struggled whether to make the Trial scenes in color instead, while all of Los Alamos are in black and white (because those were flashbacks after all). But I think aesthetically it felt better the other way around. The color scheme purposely switches at some point later for dramatic effect, but hopefully it’s unnoticeable and works at a subconscious level.
  4. Removed the Lewis Strauss senate hearing, but I didn’t cut the character out completely. The movie gave him essentially 3 causes for his vindictiveness: 1. Oppie conspiring scientists against him 2. Oppie embarrassed him during the Norway isotope export hearing 3. Their disagreements on the viability and use of the hydrogen bomb regarding Russia. Although true and well documented, the first two felt laughably weak sauce compared to the third. In this edit, I hammered down the third conflict by introducing Strauss much later into the story in the context of political orchestrations than portray him with this misguided ambivalence. In this edit, RDJ now shows up like a wrecking ball- just an absolute force of nature showing you the real machinations as opposed to having Mr. Robot explain the whole thing to you at the end all over again. Ehrenreich’s character was removed completely (he felt so similar to Joseph Gordon Levitt in TDK Rises. Like, we don’t care if it was JFK, and I don’t care if your real name was Robin). All those scenes were removed. To all Rami Malek and Alden Ehrenreich fans, I’m so sorry.
  5. End credits song replaced with Mie Yanashita’s 2005 piano score for “The Passion of Joan of Arc” silent film. It’s a more somber piece, and I think fits this story.

Title and Poster:

Obviously, the title to evokes The Passion of the Christ and The Passion of Joan of Arc films. I made the poster by stealing the concept from the Joan of Arc criterion cover. Just shameless. Absolutely shamelessness.

Final thoughts:

This was intimidating to take on, particularly since the original edit has this distinct, almost-a-parody-of-Nolan signature flow to it. But it was great. Kudos to Jennifer Lame, Nolan, and the filmmakers. Hopefully I put together something that holds together well as a companion piece to the original. I can’t wait to share it with you. Maybe, the best way I can explain it is that this fanedit plays less like “Memento” and leans towards “The Social Network” structure.

Please let me know if you’re interested or for feedback!

Last edited:
Congratulations on being the first to tackle this, Agatha. Your intent and changelist looks compelling.

Watched this recently in a very empty cinema for the first time and honestly couldn't get into it. The jumping around got confusing and Strauss especially didn't do it for me. Would be curious about a chronological cut for sure. Did you chop much out of it?

I was a bit confused during the movie, especially with character names, so thanks for the name tags! I also can't do 3 hours in a theater anymore... sadly...
so a chopped down version of Oppenheimer was on my Wishlist for Christmas!
Guess I've been nice this year!

Watched this recently in a very empty cinema for the first time and honestly couldn't get into it. The jumping around got confusing and Strauss especially didn't do it for me. Would be curious about a chronological cut for sure. Did you chop much out of it?

About 40 minutes! The run time is 2 hour, 21 minutes

I was a bit confused during the movie, especially with character names, so thanks for the name tags! I also can't do 3 hours in a theater anymore... sadly...
so a chopped down version of Oppenheimer was on my Wishlist for Christmas!
Guess I've been nice this year!

Hahaa, I did a quick comp for someone who had asked what the aspect ratio was going to look like in this edit. This edit is 2 hours and 20 minutes.

I put something quick and dirty together to study aspect ratios and this one just happen to have the ones where I had name tags on them, see link below. I didn't do it for every character, only for certain characters. Watching this in the theaters, I just got so mixed up with all the different characters and story threads.

https://vimeo.com/890515998?share=copy

Looking forward to this edit sir. Although it'll probably be the new year when i watch it as the family have hijacked the Oled watching 24/7 Christmas films.

I have been to hundreds of heavy concerts for years but damn it was loud watching Oppenheimer in the theatre. The IMAX screen packs a punch. My ears bleed for days. :)

What do you think of this restructured scene featuring real test footage...it kinda works

Hahaa, I did a quick comp for someone who had asked what the aspect ratio was going to look like in this edit. This edit is 2 hours and 20 minutes.

I put something quick and dirty together to study aspect ratios and this one just happen to have the ones where I had name tags on them, see link below. I didn't do it for every character, only for certain characters. Watching this in the theaters, I just got so mixed up with all the different characters and story threads.

https://vimeo.com/890515998?share=copy
The link doesn't work for me

The link doesn't work for me
I'm sorry about that. Can you try again? I updated the privacy on this video to see if that works.

If it doesn't work, try deactivating your VPN for just this one time.

Looking forward to this edit sir. Although it'll probably be the new year when i watch it as the family have hijacked the Oled watching 24/7 Christmas films.

I have been to hundreds of heavy concerts for years but damn it was loud watching Oppenheimer in the theatre. The IMAX screen packs a punch. My ears bleed for days. :)

What do you think of this restructured scene featuring real test footage...it kinda works

Yeah this looks great! A good restructure certainly!

And yeah, I did the same thing. When I bought my first TV, I couldn't stop watching stuff on it. I remember very distinctly not having a TV stand or mount for the first few weeks and having the TV sit on my kitchen island (I'm in a small apartment), and I would pull up my chair and watch. I think I watched "Come and See" war movie on blu-ray as my first movie and was amaaaazed.

I only saw Oppenheimer once in theaters and it was in IMAX same as you. And boy, just the first few minutes my chair was rattling it was so loud. 🤣

I think I watched "Come and See"
A harrowing film, I first saw Come & See on an old DVD years back. Not an easy watch. I was thinking of picking up the Criterion release but haven't gotten around to it. The scene when the explosion makes the boys ears ring and his sense of disorientation was powerful film making and has been copied many times ever since.

A harrowing film, I first saw Come & See on an old DVD years back. Not an easy watch. I was thinking of picking up the Criterion release but haven't gotten around to it. The scene when the explosion makes the boys ears ring and his sense of disorientation was powerful film making and has been copied many times ever since.

Oh yes. The horrors. That shot of those dead bodies behind the house- for even a fraction of a second- is imprinted in my brain. What a movie

Quick update. I made a physical media version of this edit.

Just something I like seeing on my shelf.

7ridpqs1egnc1.png

8sp3m70tdgnc1.jpg
hcymsb7udgnc1.jpg

o9smwqzudgnc1.jpg
7u7zoit3egnc1.jpg

Here's a link to the digital booklet!

I'm not a writer so there may be typos and grammar stuff, but that's how I felt about the movie and why I wanted to do a fan-edit in the first place. I really like how everything turned out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom