• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

The Outsiders: Let's Do It For Johnny!

CoolGuy209

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Trailer:

The Outsiders novel is one most have to read in American schools. After we read it when I was in school my teacher played the movie. It was strange to me because of where it started, and how it ended. I went home and found out there was an extended cut released in 2005, this version had the beginning, end, and some cut scenes in the middle. It was great! Except... they cut all the great music and released it with 60s rock. This took you out of the experience every time something dramatic was going on, and "let's go to the beach" music played. So, having been editing since I was nine, (starting with my hobbit edit that only now is finished), I replaced the music with the original soundtrack, save a few scenes. Later, and to my surprise I was able to turn the edit in as a high school project, haha. A few years later I revisited the edit, made a few tweaks, and here we are.

Changes
  • Every scene that has instrumental music replaced rock music.
  • When Ponyboy gets mugged a sample of music from a different scene is placed when it gets more intense. I also remixed the sound effects for the scene.
  • The shot of Bob's hand has been modified to show more focus on the rings and not the flask.
  • The middle scenes kept their music because it fits there for the most part.
  • I flipped the shot of Dying Dally so it made more continuity sense.
  • The courtroom scene samples music from another scene to replace the music. The dialogue is stripped from the original music, and additional sound effects are included.
  • When Soda runs away the original music is replaced with music from a different scene. Additional sound effects are added.
Before and after music:

Unedited Courtroom Scene:

Fixed Courtroom Scene:

Fixed mugging scene soon to come!

Last edited:
This really looks great. I'm glad you are switching out all of the beach music. Did you have to recreate any ambient sounds and sfx?

I was able to replace the audio with the original. Except with the courtroom scene, there I did mess with ambiance, the clock and echoes, to try and mask out the rock music.

What about
the extended beginning? And the beginning of the church scenes? Those aren't in the original.

The beginning was fine up until Pony had a knife on his neck, then for a moment, it's a sample of music placed over it. I didn't do much other than just place it. Everywhere else it worked pretty much fine.

EDIT: I did actually go over the Ponyboy gets mugged scene and remixed the sound effects. The courtroom scene I just had to leave with the original music and hope the music placed over it drowns out the rock enough to properly set the tone.

Last edited:
Any ideas for a better title? "The Complete Novel Edit" may have worked for a title when I was in school, but it's just the title with "Fan Edit" placed at the end, and I would like to change it to something better and more fitting. Any ideas?

"Let's Do It For Johnny!" Is one. I always thought it should have been called that anyway.

Okay. I finally watched that trailer. That...is...one awesome freaking trailer. I would have never considered a song like that. It's so perfect!

Did you change the name of the thread? If so you may want to add a (The Outsiders fanedit) or something so people know what movie you are editing.

Sorry for the wait to get this reviewed, I just keep seeing my 8th-grade editing in this project, so I keep going in and changing some things. I have finally finished the tweaks, and am getting it uploaded to Mega right now.

Holy crap. I am so friggin happy I was able to fix the courtroom room scene and make it so you can't hear the original music at all. Man technology these days. Also, the courtroom scene is added to the forum.

@INIGHTMARES, would you have picked up on the fact that this is an Outsiders edit just by the title "Let's Do It For Johnny!"? It's so iconic I assumed most people who were familiar with the movie would.

When they submit their IFDB listing I would only use "Let's Do It For Johnny" and leave off the original title. But I can see why in the forums you'd want to know what the film is. But I didn't do it for my Bond edit. I don't have the actual title in my ITW thread.. maybe I should?

This edit is enthusiastically approved. Congratulations, CoolGuy! Welcome to the family!

Back
Top Bottom