• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Oscar Challenge

Well I guess we'll just have to agree to dissagree. But this aint over. :rapture:

Still haven't seen Beasts of the Southern Wild, but here are my one sentence reviews for this year's Best Picture race.

Amour - I absolutely hated this movie and felt like I was being forced to be sad instead of watching a sad story.

Argo - Loved everything about it, felt like a great "Hollywood movie" tackling serious history without going all Hollywood.

Django Unchained - Physically felt like the shit had been kicked out of me while I was watching, loved how un-Tarantino the narrative was.

Les Miserables - Awkward singing, decent acting, great directing, awesome classic story.

Life of Pi - Visually stunning, terrible dialogue-delivery was annoying but I got over it.

Lincoln - Daniel Day-Lewis was as fan-fucking-tastic as he should be, and no I didn't "feel like I was actually watching
Abraham Lincoln", I was watching DDL act, most actors don't really act.

Silver Linings Playbook - Wanted more of the first half as that felt very O. Russell like and wanted to forget everything that happened in the last half hour as it that was some generic romcom bullshit.

Zero Dark Thirty - Totally felt more like a visual document of SHIT THAT WENT DOWN IN HISTORY than a movie of shit going down in current events.

I read an article where Hollywood has decided to remake Ben-Hur (sacrilige) but their adding new subplots that had nothing to do
with the great original.

Ben-Hur is one of my all time favorites.

jswert123456 said:
I read an article where Hollywood has decided to remake Ben-Hur (sacrilige) but their adding new subplots that had nothing to do
with the great original.

They already remade Ben-Hur, it was called Gladiator, and I still don't understand how it won Best Picture.

For the concrete thinkers among you, before I get flamed for being wrong: yes I'm aware that there are many differences between Ben-Hur and Gladiator, but there are plenty of big similarities

I actually once explained Ben-Hur to a friend as Gladiator with chariots.

The 1925 Ben=Hur was silent. But the Charlton Heston version is the one thatis considered the classic, I dont really see how someone can say that Gladiator is a remake. Completely different plots charecters.

jswert123456 said:
The 1925 Ben=Hur was silent. But the Charlton Heston version is the one thatis considered the classic, I dont really see how someone can say that Gladiator is a remake. Completely different plots charecters.

The fact that the original is a silent film is immaterial. I was simply pointing out that the 1959 version was a remake itself because [MENTION=8731]Gatos[/MENTION] stated that Gladiator was nothing more than a remake of the 1959 Ben-Hur. I agree with you though that they are completely different films. The only thing they have in common is the fact that they both take place during Roman times and the lead character is a man who becomes a slave.

Every movie is a remake of every other movie.

Casablanca.

Scratch that. The Lost Weekend.

The only point i was making is i dont count the 1925 versions as the first version.
If we're gonna say the Heston version is a remake then we can also say Wizard of Oz is a remake cause there was some early versions of that also.
And for someone else who said every movie is a remake- im hoping thats a joke. If it is i'l eventuallly laugh at it.

jswert123456 said:
The only point i was making is i dont count the 1925 versions as the first version.

Well seeing as it was made 34 years before the Heston version, then yes it was the first version made. Unless you count the 1907 short, which I don't since it's only 15 minutes long.

jswert123456 said:
If we're gonna say the Heston version is a remake then we can also say Wizard of Oz is a remake cause there was some early versions of that also.

Nobody said it wasn't. In fact nobody even brought up The Wizard Of Oz until you did just now.

jswert123456 said:
And for someone else who said every movie is a remake- im hoping thats a joke. If it is i'l eventuallly laugh at it.

I think you need to get one of these.

sarcasm_detector.jpg

Well that's weird. I edited my post above and instead of just adding the new text it left it alone and posted the same thing again.

For your amusement a serving of fluff from io9 - The Worst Scifi Snubs in Oscar History http://io9.com/5985147/the-worst-scifi-snubs-in-oscar-history
Speculative fiction has a crummy track record when it comes to the Academy Awards, and even when an iconic scifi flick scores Oscar nods, it tends to be ignored in everything but the technical categories (see: E.T., Star Wars, Avatar). Many unfairly overlooked scifi Oscar nominees have been vindicated by history, but we nevertheless feel compelled to dredge these examples up.

I concur with most but still think Tatum O'Neil deserved the award over Linda Blair. Haven't seen Shadow of the Vampire so I can't say about that one.

Frantic Canadian said:
The fact that the original is a silent film is immaterial. I was simply pointing out that the 1959 version was a remake itself because Gatos stated that Gladiator was nothing more than a remake of the 1959 Ben-Hur. I agree with you though that they are completely different films. The only thing they have in common is the fact that they both take place during Roman times and the lead character is a man who becomes a slave.

Actually I said:

For the concrete thinkers among you, before I get flamed for being wrong: yes I'm aware that there are many differences between Ben-Hur and Gladiator, but there are plenty of big similarities

I was being slightly facetious when I said "they already did a remake it was called Gladiator."

And it seems like the pissing contest, that I was hoping to avoid, has infiltrated this thread. But since it has inflitrated the thread, for what its worth, I was well aware that there was a silent Ben-Hur film before the '59 version.

well for your info i was being sarcastic when i said that,
I didnt think one post would go off in the direction this one has.
Agree to disagree. Different versions/visions of a film.
My fave and definitive version in my heart is Heston's version.
And ill leave it alone.

Alright, well then let's consider the discussion on Ben-Hur closed and let's get:focus:. :)

Aw, you guys got it sorted on your own. I was getting ready to crack some skulls.

l.jpg

;-)

Back
Top Bottom