• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The New World: The Hybrid Cut

A big thank you for that. I recently started on this again, but couldn't figure out how to regrade properly so reached out to TM2YC for guidance. The A/V editing and mixing is now done. All that's left is the regrade of the EC-exclusive footage. Also, as a bonus, i'll try adding a second audio track with unused music from James Horner's OST.

This is a strange one for me to get my head around because i totally agree with what you are doing regarding using the more warmer colour of the theatrical as a base but a part of me thinks as Lubeski and Malick surpervised, the restoration of the criterion extended cut, then that is the preferred version by the creators...but then again Ridley Scott did the same thing to Blade Runner The Final Cut and thank the lord TM2YC sorted that out for us.
I think many director's preferred vision just so happens to be the latest and greatest modern color grade that they believe will help sell more copies

happy new year heavisyde. your fine project here is one of the reasons to look forward to 2023.

happy new year heavisyde. your fine project here is one of the reasons to look forward to 2023.
Happy new year to you too. I guess i'll have to finish this in that case, before I clear off for good. To be honest, the regrade isn't happening. Way too time consuming. But the cuts have been done for months. And now I have a device that can render. So, we'll see.

Final timeline
fLg5nLK.png

Still hoping this gets finished. I watched the Extended Cut the other night and after checking out those comparison clips again I might go learn how to color grade just to fix the Extended Cut. This gorgeous film definitely deserves better!

This edit has been completed and submitted. I did not go through with the regrade, but did replace most of the Extended Cut footage with that of the first two cuts (First Cut & Theatrical Cut) so that the original grade is the main one used in this edit - besides in the 29 minutes of footage exclusive to the Extended Cut. 10 minutes of footage along with a bunch of voiceovers & occasional sound effects from the First Cut and Theatrical Cut footage have been added, bringing the runtime to just over 3 hrs. This additional footage comes in the form of extended shots, additional shots, and additional scenes that were left out of the Extended Cut. The audio mixing was a nightmare, due to the fact that the soundtracks and effects varied between the three cuts, and also due to the presence of additional frames that prevented the proper syncing of footage - but now transitions between the three cuts should largely be unnoticeable.

If you've requested an edit from me before, the link for this one will be on the same document. Otherwise, send me a message. All the best.

Just in time! I've been wanting to revisit TNW lately, and plan on rewatching each cut. Now there's a new cut to see. PM comin' your way.

Still hoping this gets finished. I watched the Extended Cut the other night and after checking out those comparison clips again I might go learn how to color grade just to fix the Extended Cut. This gorgeous film definitely deserves better!
it seems like the 2008 Extended Cut has the original colour grade, whilst the 2016 Extended Cut (by Criterion) has the green-tint (and a higher bitrate).

If you search "The New World - 4th mix/cut differences - dailymotion" you can see a comparison video.

I imagine this is the release of the Extended Cut with the original grade:

For those who are interested, I have uploaded a split-screen video that I used during editing to identify differences in video and audio. The three cuts play out simultaneously, with gaps for when footage is missing from one of the cuts.

Back
Top Bottom