• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

The NeverEnding Story: International Cut Remastered

ParanoidAndroid

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This classic 80s fantasy is officially available in two versions, the 101-minute German Cut (GC) and 94-minute International Cut (IC) that most are familiar with (prominently featuring a title song and new music from Giorgio Moroder). This shorter cut however has not been made available in good quality, the 2013 Blu-ray having an awful looking transfer with heavy grain, an orange tint and an overly dark and soft appearance.

This is not the case however for the GC, which received a newly-restored Blu-ray in 2021. Despite some reviews mentioning DNR, I consider this a superior transfer with finer detail, less grain (not eliminated) and better colour grading, so I used that version as the basis for my first edit “The NeverEnding Story: Hybrid Cut” (https://ifdb.fanedit.org/neverending-story-hybrid-cut-the/), effectively adding a few items from the IC to the GC.

It didn’t occur to me to reconstruct the IC using the GC visuals, that prompt was from @The Wanderer (https://forums.fanedit.org/threads/neverending-story-international-cut-color-correction-fix.28726/). I thought that somebody else (not on this forum) had done the task already, but it turns out that this neglected to correct the GC speed from 24 to 23.976 FPS. When overlaying the GC video on the IC audio, this meant that A/V sync would be gradually lost after each new cut, a problem that plagued my earliest editing attempts until it was pointed out to me.

Since I have the materials to hand I hardly had an excuse not to take a crack at it myself! Almost all the video from the old IC Blu-ray was replaced by equivalent material from the GC transfer. Any IC-exclusive shots that remain, such as the opening titles superimposed over cloud tank effects and German writing on the eponymous book, were graded to match the GC footage as best as possible, the DaVinci Resolve shot-match function proving very useful! “Creative” changes are practically non-existent, save for replacing the modern (with a web address) Warner Bros. vanity plate with a period correct one sourced from the “Time After Time” Blu-ray, and tinkering with a single matte-shot to better blend the artwork with the foreground.

Hope that this is of some interest, but even more so I hope that the studio that owns the rights will commission a proper restoration and home media release of the IC sometime, next year is the 40th anniversary after all! Until then, the edit should be ready very soon (thanks @The Wanderer for previewing), here is an adaptation of a poster for a page image.

full

Last edited:
4 GB and 20 GB versions of the project uploaded, will be submitting the IFDB page today.

Can't believe a better transfer hasn't already happened. Glad that one exists now!

IFDB listing submitted, feel free to request in the usual manner!

Thank you for this work ParanoidAndroid.
I watched The NeverEnding Story on VHS often. Seeing a widescreen DVD was interesting. Now, finally seeing an international release in blu-ray quality showed me many details never before seen in the VHS release.

Will be providing an updated version of this edit shortly, correcting a few flaws in the original material pointed out to me by @Atreyu during our work on another recut (https://forums.fanedit.org/threads/the-neverending-story-the-atreyu-edit.27967/#post-430223).

These are:

• Dark borders at the frame edge of the first shot of Bastian and the Empress (thanks @Atreyu for correcting this).
  • Unneeded reverb on Falkor's laugh after Bastian whispers in his ear, replaced International Cut soundtrack with German Cut equivalent.
  • Bastian stuttering on "...chickens!" as he and Falkor chase the bullies, again by using German Cut soundtrack.

Won't be too long until this is uploaded but will be in a different location to before, will post when it's ready so anyone can PM to request.

Last edited:
Updated version has now been uploaded, in different location to before so PM for new link.

Back
Top Bottom