• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

The Munsters (Rob Zombie, 2022)

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Cautiously curious about this one. If anything, it'll be a fish in the barrel for fanediting, if only to actually render it black and white. Don't know about anyone else, but I just can stand green skinned depictions of Jack Pierce style Frankenstein's Monsters (of which Herman is of course one).

I've been so hyped for this for a while, following the production on social media. The way l see it, The Munsters is one of Rob Zombie's biggest passions, this can't not be good. But l'm also just a big fan of all of his movies.
l had totally missed that there was a teaser, that was really cute, l really can't wait.

Incidentally, great to see you officially back, Jrz!

Such a big shift in tone for him. But I love the Munsters, I'll give it a chance. Hope it's not a bait and switch, surprise it's actually gross and dark and gory, film, and instead is something faithful and fun.

I heard from a YouTube video essayist an opinion I agree with about attempts to do this kind of thing so far, which is that it's easier to reboot Addams Family than Munsters because Addams family is based on short funny comic strips and can be interpreted a variety of ways, whereas Munsters was a tv show with actors playing parts so any new version is not a reinterpretation but an imitation which is usually judged more harshly.

Good luck, Mr. Zombie. Won't be easy.

Hope it's not a bait and switch, surprise it's actually gross and dark and gory, film, and instead is something faithful and fun.
Rob has stated his love of the series numerous times and has said it will be in the spirit of the original. It will also be PG, so it probably won't be that gory if it was.

New trailer is out.

Know a lot of people are freaking out over how "cheap" it looks, but considering it's a DTV film from Universal's 1440 Entertainment branch, it's not that bad IMHO.

New trailer is out.

Know a lot of people are freaking out over how "cheap" it looks, but considering it's a DTV film from Universal's 1440 Entertainment branch, it's not that bad IMHO.
Well I immediately went from hyped to extremely disappointed within the first 10-15 seconds. I’ve seen fan films look better than this. ::sigh::

...it's easier to reboot Addams Family than Munsters because Addams family is based on short funny comic strips and can be interpreted a variety of ways, whereas Munsters was a tv show with actors playing parts so any new version is not a reinterpretation but an imitation which is usually judged more harshly.
Unfortunately I'm going to have to judge this harshly. Lilly is literally an imitation, Herman has the look but his voice sounds like the pimple-face teenager from Simpsons. Except the laugh which I guess is someone else's voice dubbed in.

I could forgive the performances but why does it look so cheap (not camp but like poor camera quality)? And why does the dialogue audio sound like it was recorded with the on camera mic? And what's with the slow edits? Comedic timing was crucial to the original, they even used over cranked footage a lot for comedic effect on the old show, which they could have done here with the neighbor fainting at the end.

Really weird. Can't say it'll be the worst thing ever but hoo boy the trailer's not doing any favors.

Trailer's garish and obnoxious. My eyes and ears hurt now.

I'm still excited. I have a feeling that the trailer isn't indicative of the quality of the movie itself. Even if I'm wrong, I'm sure I'll enjoy it anyways. Rob Zombie has yet to let me down, so I'm willing to keep an open mind. It really looks unfinished, my hope is that somebody else is working hard editing the film while this trailer was rushed out to meet a demand or something. If not, then I hope the poor quality is justified in the end.

I love The Munsters.
I hate Rob Zombie movies.

This latest trailer did zero for me. The various Munster reunion tv movies look better than this trailer. Heck, the syndicated low budget remake series Munsters Today looks better than this trailer.

However, I do not think this trailer is representational of the actual story. I am guessing the whole Herman origin and courtship is only the first act...? At least, I hope so....

I will wait for streaming or cheap VOD night to watch this. In the meantime, I will watch some actual fun remakes like The Adams Family or Brady Bunch or even Starsky & Hutch LOL.

Of course as bad as that trailer looks, it's gotta to be better than this....

[MEDIA]

...right??? 😋 🤪😁

I liked that it was a reboot that actually did something different. Could have gone somewhere and stood totally separate from the original. Though to make it work it would have needed a rewrite and new pilot, the characters looked way too "normal" by default.

Edit/idea:

Honestly the way most reboots of Munsters have stuck to imitating the original, someone could probably collect them and turn all of them into a sort of "lost extra season" where the meta explanation would be that the show was falling apart due to poor working conditions or a fictional (or real, idk) producer everyone hated and actors were quitting left and right and they kept trying to keep it going but some would quit after filming only one or two episodes, sometimes the whole cast would quit after filming one arc, etc. Crop to 4:3 where necessary, cut films into 2 or 3 parts, cut anachronisms unless that's the plot of the movie/episode, turn to black and white, and order them in a way that seems to make sense.

Last edited:
The thing about Mockingbird Lane is that it was not taking The Munsters in a new direction, but that it was doing something that was not The Munsters. It was an edgier Addams Family.

The thing is, for all the superficial similarities, at their core the Addams and the Munsters are polar opposite concepts. The Addams love being outcasts. The Munsters just want to fit. And that Mockingbird Lane thing missed the whole point.

As for the new trailer... I hope it is not representative. For all the faults of Rob Zombie's movies, their main strenght so far used to be visuals. So not sure about what happened here. But we have seen good movies with bad trailers and bad movies with good trailers before, so let's just hope.

Last edited:
Something that might be worth noting is that the film did only finished shooting like a week or so ago. So it's clearly not fully edited yet, which would explain why some of the SFX might seem a bit unfinished.

Back
Top Bottom