• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Matrix 2.0 (please leave feedback on main site as well, thanks!)

If you've seen it, rate it

• Revolutions

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dog poo

• Mortal Kombat

• Reloaded

• pretentious and missed the mark

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • meh

• Ok

• Good

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Loved it!

• Awesome!

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
After over 18 months work (6 months planning, 12 months editing) it is finally here: the sequel we should have got in 2003.

Dangermouse Productions is proud to present:

The Matrix 2.0

An epic new story that will blow your mind.
A taut, action-packed sequel that will captivate you.
A movie that questions whether we are all victims of causality - or captains of our fate.
Forget Reloaded and Revolutions. The Matrix 2.0 is here.

COVER ART
<<I'm not amazing at this, so if someone would like to design something that kicks ass, I'd be most appreciative!>>

INTENTION:
To create a sequel worthy of the first movie: intense action, interesting and unique characters, and discussions as to the nature of existence.

Teaser Trailer

Release Trailer

Trailer: Neo

The Matrix sequels as you have never seen them before.

Imagine a world where Reloaded and Revolutions don't exist.
Imagine a world where the return to the Matrix is as exciting as the first time you jacked in.
Imagine a world where the humans take the fight to the Machines, instead of wallowing in a morass of self-pity and depression.
Imagine a world where the population of Zion consists of more than cardboard, square-jawed, muscle-bound, non-believing boneheads - played by a cast of extras rejects.
Imagine a world with no Kid, no Link, no Zee, no Bane, no endless clichéd war scenes, no boring upside-down Hell Club fight, no plodding council scenes, no emo, no Temple speech, no Councillor Hamann, no Neo-worship, no rave, no blindness, no endless empty words, no train station, no program families, no Machine City, and no superpowers.
Imagine a world where love wins and Trinity lives.
Imagine a world where the sequel is snappy, taut, action-packed, and cool.

You can begin to believe.

The Matrix 2.0 is here.

Free your mind. Again.

EDIT DETAILS
A completely new story, which maintains the connection (in terms of characters, story, and philosophy) with The Matrix (1).

245 visual cuts.
Over 250 audio cuts.
No scene left untouched (usually cut down for bloat)
Combined runtime of 2h18 and 2h09 (4h27) cut down to a mind-blowing 1h36 minutes!

This fanedit has been bubbling away in the back of my mind ever since I saw the dog poo called "Revolutions". It was an epic disappointment, full of vacuous action, cliched war scenes you never wanted to see again, drivel masquerading as dialogue, an insipid "hero", and a philosophy ("Because I choose to") at odds with the story (Neo just trodded a pre-determined path to the Machine City - duh! No choice there - it was "destiny").

I thought about (and discussed) often the flaws in the sequels - where they went so wrong, and how. A glimmer of a silver thread of a story started to emerge: one where the "look at us, we're so clever" stuff was dropped, but the essential questions of life were raised: choice, free will, predestination, salvation.

After trying my hand at Spiderman 3 and excising Sandman successfully, I thought it was time to turn to The Matrix 2.0.

It was clear to me that the stuff in Zion was irrelevant to the story and philosophy. Most of the scenes were utter crap as well, so that was an easy decision.
It was also clear that much of the action was overblown and so long that it became boring. Skilful wielding of the editors scissors could reveal some really AWESOME action (and it did!).
Secondary characters with rubbish dialogue and no personalities who were given WAY too much screentime were cut down to secondary characters again (Link, Locke, Hammer crew) - and were much stronger for it. Others were cut completely (Kid, Zee, Hamann, everyone in Zion).

The toughest part of the edit was the middle passage, where the three crews join up to get Neo to the Source. It was tough because I did not, at all, have the scenes I needed. At all. It sucked. And took about 3 months to get right.

The second toughest was the peace treaty. I tried loads of approaches: layering sounds over a blank screen, a computer text printout, a vision through the TV's in the Architects office, my own "special effects" (which looked awful!). In the end, the solution was elegant and simple: don't show it, simply assume it. Tadaaa! And, funnily enough, it worked!

Integrating scenes from 2 and 3 was not as tough as I thought it would be. I remember watching a rough cut about 2 months in and thinking "this could work". Little did I know that 10 months of headaches were in wait!

Essential to the final product was the community here at fanedit.org. Without you guys this movie would not have been anywhere near as good as it is. A special shout-out to STANKPAC who used many hours previewing on the film and commenting and suggesting cool solutions. Many thanks man!
Nightstalkpoet, havok1977 and eldiablosuizo were also previewing guinea pigs who set aside time to watch and comment. Thanks guys - your comments were most helpful.
Also bluejayone for his help and everyone else - THANKS!

NEW STORY DESCRIPTION (no cutlist - everything's been cut and re-arranged: this is a completely new movie!)
The Matrix 2.0: A synopsis.

At the beginning of the movie we find out that the Machines have decided to wipe out Zion once and for all: the threat of Neo has grown too large, and the Equation Anomaly (choice) needs to be brought back under control. Since this is not possible through the Matrix (their Agents are easily dispatched by Neo), the Machines attack in the real world through thousands of Sentinals burrowing toward Zion.

The Oracle calls Neo to tell him that the only way to save Zion is to get to the Source, the Machine mainframe. It is later revealed that she wants him to do this in order to bargain for peace in return for destroying Smith. She has foreseen Smith spreading like a virus throughout the Matrix, and thereby threatening the survival of the Machines and Humans alike. She knows that only Neo can stop him, since Neo is his opposite: the anti-virus to Smith's virus.
(Smith then appears and declares that he has been set free by Neo - and reveals that he has chosen to use that freedom to remake everyone in his image. Despite making numerous copies of himself, Smith is unable to beat Neo.)

To get to the Source Neo needs to rescue the Keymaker - someone with intimate knowledge of the "back doors" or programmers access in the Matrix.
The Keymaker is being held by the Merovingian - a man with considerable power in the Matrix, but who has chosen to use that power for his own gain, rather than the good of others. His wife, Persephone, values experience and power above all else. She manipulates her husband as he manipulates others, and manipulates Neo into making a morally ambiguous choice merely for her own amusement and pleasure. In return she takes them to the Keymaker - but the Merovingian discovers what is happening and a huge battle ensues. Neo is split up from the rest of the group, who engage in a high speed running battle on the freeway with the Merovingian's goons, and Agents of the system who view the Keymaker as a major threat.

The Keymaker is ultimately rescued, but the Machines are running a search and destroy mission in the real world for the Human ships. They stumble across the Nebuchadnezzar and destroy it. The crew escape, but Neo now has no way to jack in. Neo has also realised that reaching the Source and fighting Smith may well be his demise. Will he follow the path of the One? Or turn aside?
Another Human ship, the Hammer, running search and rescue, finds the crew of the Nebuchadnezzar, and soon after finds another Human ship the Logos, lying disabled. Neo announces he's ready to get to the Source, and the three crews join together to subvert the security systems. Once the others have got Neo to the Source, they will be unable to do anything more for him, and instead must race back to Zion to assist in the battle. Since Neo will have to stay longer than anyone else at broadcast depth, he decides to take one of the ships, while the other races back to assist in the attack on Zion. Trinity decides to stay with Neo.

Everyone jacks in and work together to insert Neo into the Source. Smith meets them in the "back door" corridors but is unsuccessful in stopping them. Once Neo is at the door to the Source, the other crews immediately make for Zion.

Neo arrives at the Source and meets the Architect. Meanwhile Smith continues to take over the Matrix, and the attack on Zion begins.

The Architect is supremely arrogant and either unaware of Smith's threat, or unconcerned, and proceeds to tell Neo that his powers in the Matrix are allowed solely because of an anomaly... -
The Logos races back to Zion, arriving just in time to stop the Dock being overrun, but too late to save it.

In the Matrix, Smith arrives at the Oracle's apartment to find her waiting for him. He takes her over and gains insight into the Matrix code, like Neo. As the code of the Matrix is rewritten by Smith the Architect is suddenly aware of his peril. Neo emerges as the only one who can defeat Smith and save both the Machines and the Humans. Logically, the Architect agrees to a peace treaty, and the attack on Zion stops as the Neo goes out to fight Smith in the Matrix.

As the fighting progresses Neo realises that he cannot win - that the only way to defeat Smith is, as he feared, to die. The Oracle speaks out of Smith's mouth encouraging him to make the same choice she did: to sacrifice himself in order to save others. Neo drops his guard and allows Smith to consume him.

At which point the anti-virus code (Neo) begins to overwrite the virus code (Smith) - the two opposites cancel each other out - and Smith is destroyed.
The Matrix is reset, and a fragile peace begins between the Humans and Machines.

Zion rejoices as the Machines begin to leave the city.
Neo emerges from the Matrix, and exulting to be alive falls into the arms of his beloved Trinity and celebrates that most human of emotions: love.

FORMATS
1.08GB mkv (h.264) 5.1 sound. Available NOW.
DVD-5 NTSC 5.1 sound. Including special features (trailers and commentary track). Out soon.
DVD-9 NTSC 5.1 sound. As above in higher quality.

PREVIEW
Here's a 13 minute preview of minutes 10 to 23 showing both story/philosophy edits (in Neo conversation with the Oracle) and action edits (in Neo's fight with Smith).
Now you can see what kind of ride you're in for.....!

I'm "mushing".
Here's another trailer for your viewing pleasure....

Right then Mr DanGarratt.

Took the liberty of watching this last night. Glad I did!

I've seen Reloaded a couple times, Revolutions about 4 times. Reloaded came over as a sort of quasi-philosophical ride, that had potential, but got bogged down in subplots and redundancy. Revolutions just went all out Sci-Fi. Whilst they're nice to watch, they never even got close to the original with it's dark, thrillerish intrigue.

I've watched Spence's take on it. I've also watched JasonN's Evolutions. Neither are fully satisfying, but are good attempts.

With this in mind, yours appeared to be the most radical take on it, but I will admit to going into this a little half-hearted, but at 90 minutes to cover both films - it wasn't going to kill me......and boy it didn't!!!!

This is a really fun ride DanGarrett. At only 20 minutes in, I realised this was going to be a fast actioned take on things. You've seriously slimmed down two fats dudes into a trim athlete here, who is not some dumb action hero either. There's still intelligence in this film, you've managed to keep the theme of fate running right through. You've trimmed it right back to a single plot and this is a good thing. It's easy to follow and keeps your interest all the way through. There's no dropoff in pace, in fact we have many high impact scenes that seem appropriate. At 58 minutes in, I was thinking, 'yea, this is really working.'

I made some notes as I was watching, here goes:

- Neo re-entering the Matrix to see the Oracle after returning to Zion. The plug thing going into the back of his head is a bit on the quick side, no sound effect, feels a little off.

- Neo wakes from a dream about his death, he gets up leaving Trinity in bed and suddenly we're seeing a machine releasing a bomb that has high dramatic music. It feels a little off, like something was missing. Next we're seeing Morpheus, Trinity and Neo in the bridge.

- This section feels a bit odd. There's a fade when the Nebuchadnezzar is blown up, then another ship is arriving and we seem to come in mid-way to Lock's speech to the Elders. Some scene reorganisation may fix this. Perhaps putting Lock after the Nebuchadnezzar is blown up might work better?

- How is Niobe's ship destroyed?

- I like how you replaced Neo's visions of Trinity's death with visions of his own death, which we never saw in the original film.

- I liked how the mainframe was essentially - The Source.

- At 1:08:35, I see Morpheus disconnected from The Matrix. Did I miss something there? The shot, like the earlier one of Neo going in, felt a little rushed and out of place.

- I'm sure you've split up the scene of Smith taking over The Oracle and placed it further back in the film. This works wonderfully.

- Trinity and Neo at the end, feels a little rushed, but hey.

- Ah, something I remember now. The machines stop their attack when they receive a transmission. THEN we see Neo exploding his way out of The Source(when at the most appropriate time you thankfully inserted a line about WHY he did that and WHAT he's about to do!). Might this benefit as to being the other way around? Neo leaves and THEN the machines receive a transmission?

- This is a personal one, but the original Matrix ended with Rage Against The Machine. I always thought that kicked ass.

So there's some thoughts, I really enjoyed it and look forward to a DVD released. This would definitely go on my shelf as a replacement/alternative the original two. You've really proven that there is a half-decent storyline in there!

Video : I was watching an MKV converted to Xvid, which was crap really(not your fault), so won't rate.
Sound : Seemed very, very quiet - had to boost my TV right up. 6/10
Editing : Really enjoyed the story, few minor issues as above. 9/10

I'll give this a 9/10 overall I think. If any of the above could be fixed, I'd be willing to go for a full 10/10. :peace:

Awesome! Glad you enjoyed it!
And thanks for taking the time to comment, and point out problems / niggles.
And Hallelujah! that the story made sense. :) It's really hard to get perspective when you've worked on something so long - so glad it actually worked. A lot of the problems were ironed out by my "test-viewers" (stankpac, havok, eldiablo, nightstalkerpoet, etc) so that definitely paid off.

white43 said:
I made some notes as I was watching, here goes:

- Neo re-entering the Matrix to see the Oracle after returning to Zion. The plug thing going into the back of his head is a bit on the quick side, no sound effect, feels a little off.
I'll try layering the sound on again, and look to see if I can't lengthen the scene a little. I think I can, as it was originally edited so short for use before they jack in to enter the Source "there is a building..." - and I needed to cut Morpehus and Link standing around.

All the following sections are from the weakest part in the movie, basically because I did not have the scenes I needed, and *really* scraped the barrel. The movie would have been out 3 months ago without this approx. 10 minute middle passage of pain!
white43 said:
- Neo wakes from a dream about his death, he gets up leaving Trinity in bed and suddenly we're seeing a machine releasing a bomb that has high dramatic music. It feels a little off, like something was missing. Next we're seeing Morpheus, Trinity and Neo in the bridge.
This is off. It's been bugging me, and I've tinkered quite a lot with this. But I watched in the pre-upload check and thought "this scene is off". What I might do is:
1. Sleeping scene - Neo wakes up from dream and exits
2. Cut to squiddies in search and destory mode (maybe from where Neo uses his superpowers in the original
3. Cut back to Neb - maybe scene where Neo is in dining room, and Trinity comes in and says "still not sleeping". Then cut to alarm and reaction shots from Trin and Neo from end of original (I think they're still in the dining room
4. Cut back to squiddie with bomb
5. rest of scene as is.
Problem is the music... but I'll give it a try. :)

white43 said:
- This section feels a bit odd. There's a fade when the Nebuchadnezzar is blown up, then another ship is arriving and we seem to come in mid-way to Lock's speech to the Elders. Some scene reorganisation may fix this. Perhaps putting Lock after the Nebuchadnezzar is blown up might work better?
It is a bit odd, but best I could do. However, I will have another look at this. The council scene I need where it is (and it's as short as it is because the rest of it is drek), to cover the passage of time between the Hammer picking up the Neb, and them finding the Logos. Without the council scene, it just doesn't work.
I might be able to use the destruction of the Logos - see below.

white43 said:
- How is Niobe's ship destroyed?
Not shown in the film. They released their EMP and it was disabled I presume. I'll have a look at the scenes from Enter the Matrix. Might work as a bridge between Neb destruction and Hammer search and rescue.

white43 said:
- I like how you replaced Neo's visions of Trinity's death with visions of his own death, which we never saw in the original film.
Thanks :) They made a TON of difference to the overall feel of the film. Amazing what a difference about 20 seconds overall can have. I have a greater respect for good editors now!

white43 said:
- I liked how the mainframe was essentially - The Source.
Yup - did a little overdub when Neo announces it - I loop the line from his convo with the Oracle. :Yellow_Flash_Colorz

white43 said:
- At 1:08:35, I see Morpheus disconnected from The Matrix. Did I miss something there? The shot, like the earlier one of Neo going in, felt a little rushed and out of place.
It's just to make sure the audience picks up that he's jacked out of the matrix, and that Neo is alone. It's been in, then out, then in. Perhaps it should be out, because I think the shot of the 2 ships leaving is sufficient, combined with the Keymaker saying "this will take you home". I'll have another look!!

white43 said:
- I'm sure you've split up the scene of Smith taking over The Oracle and placed it further back in the film. This works wonderfully.
Cool. I didn't split it, though - but split it from Smith taking over Seraph (I think they were together in Revolutions?). I also use it as my tipping point for Smith's power, triggering the necessity for a quick peace process.

white43 said:
- Trinity and Neo at the end, feels a little rushed, but hey.
To fit with the music, and... we get the idea. It's the end of the movie, wrap it up and go home!

white43 said:
- Ah, something I remember now. The machines stop their attack when they receive a transmission. THEN we see Neo exploding his way out of The Source(when at the most appropriate time you thankfully inserted a line about WHY he did that and WHAT he's about to do!). Might this benefit as to being the other way around? Neo leaves and THEN the machines receive a transmission?
I think the current way round works best as it leaves you to question why? what's going on - then Neo bursts out and answers the mental question. The other way round there's no tension.

white43 said:
- This is a personal one, but the original Matrix ended with Rage Against The Machine. I always thought that kicked ass.
It does kick ass. Hmm. Might be really cool. I'll give it a go!

white43 said:
So there's some thoughts, I really enjoyed it and look forward to a DVD released. This would definitely go on my shelf as a replacement/alternative the original two. You've really proven that there is a half-decent storyline in there!

Video : I was watching an MKV converted to Xvid, which was crap really(not your fault), so won't rate.
Sound : Seemed very, very quiet - had to boost my TV right up. 6/10
Editing : Really enjoyed the story, few minor issues as above. 9/10

I'll give this a 9/10 overall I think. If any of the above could be fixed, I'd be willing to go for a full 10/10. :peace:
Why did you have to convert the mkv? VLC will play it no problem. (or is it a mac issue? Should I do a m4v?)
Sound? Could be a conversion issue? I'll have to check this - sometimes handbrake messes up the sound levels.
Thanks again for the feedback, and glad you enjoyed the ride!

As you can see from above, I am still open to suggestions for inclusion in the DVD. Minor changes only. The film is pretty much locked down in final version - but if I see a good suggestion to tweak it a notch up - :).
Links should be up on info soon. Otherwise through the access zone. Or PM me!
I'm also working on a taster / extended trailer so that folks can get an idea of what they're in for. But I think I can safely say that if you liked the Matrix, you'll love the Matrix 2.0!

This download will be officially listed at .info by Monday. :)

Here's a 13 minute preview of minutes 10 to 23 showing both story/philosophy edits (in Neo conversation with the Oracle) and action edits (in Neo's fight with Smith).
Now you can see what kind of ride you're in for.....!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khtsCkqg7Rg

Don't have time to watch it all but I noticed that Seraph and Neo magically switch positions in the tea house because you cut the fight. Personally I like the fight, but that's just me.

I'll post a full review later, just need to convert to something else as the mkv keeps dropping synch on my media centre.

Na, Seraph just walks fast....!
Seraph fight was cut because I thought it was pointless! Fight was cool but ultimately meaningless- it doesn't advance the story, and although the philosophy ("you don't know someone until you&#65279; fight them") is kinda cool, it has nothing to do with the philosophical thrust of the movie. (It's like they stuck a bit of Chinese cinema in just because it was "cool")

dangarratt said:
Na, Seraph just walks fast....!
My opinion is that it sticks out as a cut, but of course it's your edit and your call.

I know what you mean, but I think it's a better cut than what I had before: as Neo was walking down the Chinatown street you heard Sareph say "Come" and then it cut to him saying "she is waiting" and opening the door - it was pretty abrupt.
I also think it's more noticeable as a cut because you're expecting the fight to start?

I hope this preview isn't final, because there are a few pretty bad cuts. The shortened Seraph scene doesn't work very well, but it didn't bother me as much as when Neo hits a second Smith with the iron bar. You can tell from the abrupt change in music that something was cut there. Also, why did you cut the Smith-ized Agent saying "And me!" before the tomato-smash bit? I don't know what was wrong with that, and now, we barely have time to see that the Agent now has Smith's face.

I gotta say, I miss the Oracle's talk on UFOs and ghosts; I thought it was a really clever take on supernatural, as well as some sort of justification for the twins' phaseshifting ability.At least the cut is well-done.

I'm glad some of the Oracle's lines are cut. The talk about werewolves and vampires reminds me of the same thing David Hayter said in the DTV movie "Guyver: Dark Hero". But yeah, agreed with everyone else. The cuts are too abrupt. If anything, having Sariph talk in v.o. while Neo is walking through the people would work better. Also, cut out Neo saying "Maybe I'll stand", since he only sits down a moment later. It's pointless and should be cut as well.

johnnythewolf said:
I hope this preview isn't final, because there are a few pretty bad cuts. The shortened Seraph scene doesn't work very well, but it didn't bother me as much as when Neo hits a second Smith with the iron bar. You can tell from the abrupt change in music that something was cut there. Also, why did you cut the Smith-ized Agent saying "And me!" before the tomato-smash bit? I don't know what was wrong with that, and now, we barely have time to see that the Agent now has Smith's face.

I gotta say, I miss the Oracle's talk on UFOs and ghosts; I thought it was a really clever take on supernatural, as well as some sort of justification for the twins' phaseshifting ability.At least the cut is well-done.

Thanks for feedback.
Seraph cut isn't too bad if you're not expecting the fight. Upon repeat viewing it's better, I promise. :)
Yup, noticed the music jump with the pole hit yesterday when I was putting together another trailer. This was sorted out AGES ago, so somehow the flow's been slightly altered. Will sort that out for the DVD. (and new mkv later).
Cut agent's lines because they are unneccessary - like seeing his face for a long time. We can put 2and2 together....
Oracle's lines about UFO's etc., is gone. May be "cool" but superfluous and distracts from the story. Those kind of lines were a bit too "Hey we're the Wachowskis, we're so smart we can explain the whole world" - tends to take you out of the film. But that's my take! :)
I'm working on a compilation of deleted scenes for the DVD.... :)

Back
Top Bottom