• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Man with Fire on his Face: Insidious Recut and Rescored

Neglify said:
Is the commentary on all formats or just some of them?

Just on the DVD and BD versions. Is there a way to put two audio tracks on an mp4? If so it would be no problem to do.

thecuddlyninja said:
Just on the DVD and BD versions. Is there a way to put two audio tracks on an mp4? If so it would be no problem to do.

Use a program such as MP4Box to mux various video and audio streams into one MP4.

Neglify said:
Use a program such as MP4Box to mux various video and audio streams into one MP4.

I'm not sure why multiple audio streams on a digital file had not occurred to me before (perhaps I am getting old) but I'll look into it. Seems like there's a bit of interest in commentary tracks these days so I'd be happy to add it in. I put in a lot of work getting drunk with my wife and going off on tangents about 'The Fan' after all!

Neglify said:
LOL, "The Fan" what a great POS.

I was debating whether I was thinking of that movie or Snake Eyes...just trying to say I talk about editing choices but it's a pretty light, fun commentary. I didn't do research like Kal-El is doing now. :)

By the way, I use mp4box via Yamb on the regular, I just never realized you can have multiple audio streams on an mp4 before. I know, seems silly but the point is that the commentary track will be available on ALL RELEASED VERSIONS now. Thanks for the heads up. I've muxed the commentary onto the mp4s and will upload this evening.

Review left on IFDB:

Brief Summary: A wonderful mix of sight and sound! The added soundtrack feels natural and heightens the tension. The narrative is tight and an improvement over the original.

A/V Quality - 9.
Video was perfect. Audio tracks felt a little unbalanced, see Editing notes.

Editing - 10 visual, 8 audio.
Visual editing was smooth, nothing felt out of place or noticeable. Audio editing was primarily well executed, but a few transitions stood out. As well, at times the music would be just a tad bit loud. But once I got into the flow of the story I got grooved into the levels.

I listened to the first five minutes of the commentary, but I turned it off because it wasn't mixed too well. The commentary was too soft and the movie audio was too loud. I'd love to hear a fixed version.

Narrative - 10.
This worked beautifully. The story is taut and it never felt like it was dragging. When I first saw "Insidious" I wasn't blown away, but this certainly highlights the positives and improves it as a whole.

Enjoyment - 9.
Highly recommended for horror fans. The music from "It Follows" works great with this flick!

Neglify said:
Brief Summary: A wonderful mix of sight and sound! The added soundtrack feels natural and heightens the tension. The narrative is tight and an improvement over the original.

Thank you very much for taking the time to watch and review (twice :) ). I really appreciate the feedback. Regarding the commentary, I will try to make it sound better. I definitely won't be using a $30 mic from Amazon next time. :) My buddy has access to a studio, so I'm going to try to get in there in the future so I can make things sound much better. If nothing else, I can use his home podcast setup which is far superior to me getting drunk with my wife talking into a dingy mic in my basement. Thanks again for watching!

Can I ask you if it was just the volume levels (movie and commentary relative to each other) or the audio quality of the commentary? Because the recording quality was not great, I didn't want to bring it up too loud. I went through the movie with an audio envelope and tried to balance it out. I suppose my question is this: was all of the first few minutes not balanced enough or just parts? I am trying to figure out if my sort of "balance level goal" is skewed a bit too heavily to the movie audio or if I just didn't do parts of it that well.

If anyone else has the chance to check out the commentary (even skimming around a bit just to check out the levels), it'd be helpful to let me know. It's my first time recording one and trying to balance the mix so it is a great chance to learn and improve.

It was primarily the audio level of the movie was too high, but track 2 itself was much quieter than track 1. Think of it like this, if the volume level on track 1 (the fanedit audio) was "Level 1" then the commentary track was "Level -3" and the movie audio over the commentary was "Level -1".

I just rewatched it with the commentary track twice, once on my computer with headphones and once on my TV (with a sound bar). I think the first track (over the credits) overpowers the commentary but the remainder is about where I was aiming for it to be. My wife leaned back a lot and her audio is often quieter than mine; that's something I'll address with a new set-up. I like to hear the movie in the background during commentary; perhaps a bit louder than most? I hope others will weigh in on this so I can get a sense of multiple perspectives on the audio levels. If others also find it distracting then I will aim for a more disparate mix next time. I plan to include these in all my edits moving forward (since I like listening to them on other edits). But I'm also just happy that one person liked the edit enough to want to listen to me ramble on about it. :)

I just looked at it again, I basically turned it off about 30 seconds before you start leveling out the audio. So that's funny. But I still believe the music in the beginning is way too loud over your comments, hence why I turned it off so quickly. Here's a quick couple of samples I made to show what I mean and let other people weigh in on.

Beginning of commentary, loud music:

30 minutes into commentary, more balanced levels:

I'll most likely give the complete commentary a listen in the next week or so and let you know what I thought. :)

Oh yeah, samples would have been helpful for me to post. Thanks. I completely agree that the first track is up too loud. Hopefully that doesn't put people off because it looks like I might have stupidly deleted the master commentary audio track.

Mods, could you please move this thread to the Fanedit - Fix, Mix section? Thanks :)

thecuddlyninja said:
Mods, could you please move this thread to the Fanedit - Fix, Mix section? Thanks :)

anigif_enhanced-buzz-12634-1380816358-2.gif

Sorry, I was just able to look away from the eyes for the first time in hours. Thanks!

I hadn't seen Insidious before, but I haven't seen a decent Horror movie in a while and since I love the It Follows soundtrack, I gave this a go. I must say, this is one of the best rescoring efforts I've seen here so far. Aside from a few obviously missing / drowned out effects towards the end and the theme repeating maybe once or twice too often, this was brilliant. The new soundtrack underscored the whole astral traveling aspect of the movie and made for a fun viewing experience. As someone who hasn't seen the original, I can't comment on anything missing, but it didn't feel too rushed to me. The plot felt intact.

Thanks for posting this!

Artillery said:
I must say, this is one of the best rescoring efforts I've seen here so far.

Thanks so much! I'm really glad you enjoyed it.

Raven Faust said:
Is this finished and where can i find it?
You've been told before to read the rules here: http://www.fanedit.org/forums/showthread.php?7212-Marvel-consecution&p=166833#post166833 and that was back in 2012. I know this isn't your first time hearing from a moderator about this, so this is a formal warning. Please ACTUALLY read the rules (listed at the top of literally every page and pasted here for your convenience) before you get banned.

Read: Using This Site, General Rules, and Own the Source Rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to an admin for further details.

New blu-ray cover for both Insidious edits:

based on art by fanart.tv user vicmanpergar, spine featuring art by deviantart user solomon4ik

Back
Top Bottom