• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Man Who Knew Too Much: Second Scribbling Cut

Ok, so this was more doable than I thought and I'll have something to show soon. I thought that the insert of the lions mouth was sandwhiched between the same shot, but it's not. A hard cut to the next shot actually works just fine. I've removed jimmy's yelp but need to find a fitting replacement. I've worked on building up the score but now it is a proper patchwork lol. I've isolated hits from the music to have full control and using reverb to simulate room sound when they cut off. So we have the drone louden rather than fade out, and then there are some hits over the top to smooth us into when the music properly comes in. i've also swapped sections around to see if that works a bit better as well.

[cry emoji]. You spotted a cut and it's still there and it's damn hard to fix. But you were RIGHT to do so. I will make it through this... somehow. Still, there were a lot of awkward cuts there so I'm glad the rest seems natural.
Yes! I should have also mentioned that all the other cuts felt right to me... I tend to mention the things that doesn't work and forget to mention those that work well. I have to work on that... Sorry that's a lot of work!!

Taaaakkkeeee 9,876

Here's what the timeline looks like for that scene:

image.png

In addition to what I mentioned before (rescoring/foley etc), I have tightened up the cutting, trimmed my original scoring a bit, and restored (but shortened) jimmy's yelp. I have also fixed that double " no no" glitch that was bothering me.

Jimmy's yelp isn't quite sitting with me. I'm not sure if it's because i'm noticing the bad dubbing at this point or because the removal of the shot has thrown off the audio/visual timing.

Edit: or maybe my scoring work isn't quite as tight in that moment?

@daedal - I have revisited that dialogue. Turns out there's a pretty simple solution: I just cut the shot/line saying "I know absolutely nothing". I think the conversation works without him being that explicit, and it's much smoother visually because it avoids the jump cut.

I'm glad you could find a simple solution, I'm starting to think I'll have to add this title to my Hitchcock collection...

it's underrated IMO. But then again, I've also removed 40 minutes worth of footage. make of that what you will!

I think its only natural to remove that much from a movie of that era. If we watch it with our 2024 eyes I mean!

Plenty of wonderful films from that era where I wouldn't touch a frame. But I understand what you mean. Trimming an old movie for pacing is how I got into fanediting, and it's kinda become my main thing.

^You know, an edit I find really interesting is TM2YC's edit of Bladerunner 2049. Cuts out like 15+ minutes without cutting anything.... just trims scene by scene, shot by shot, to pick up the pace of the film. I wonder if there's a film that you would find interesting to approach with a similar viewpoint? Like "I don't want to cut any scenes, I just want to make this flow faster"....

Cuts out like 15+ minutes without cutting anything.... just trims scene by scene, shot by shot, to pick up the pace of the film. I wonder if there's a film that you would find interesting to approach with a similar viewpoint?

That's pretty much the entire ethic of my B+ movie editions, and micro trims without wholly cutting content is generally a technique I use (in some form) in nearly all of my edits. My first fanedit was of Creature from the Black Lagoon. I cut 30 minutes only trimming shots, with the exception I think of one line of dialogue.

Very similar with my edits of The Incredible Shrinking Man, and Jason and the Argonauts. And it will be my starting point for Ben Hur as well.

Ray Danger takes a similar approach to me with more of a focus on horror. His cuts of Frankenstein and Bride are great.

Edit finished, rendered, compressed, and muxed. Subtitles done. Just need to upload, sort a poster, finalise cutlist, and put together the form for IFDB.

Upping this today. Limited time means the poster is... a bit basic. But hey ho.

full

Thanks to everyone who fed back. Super appreciate it. @mnkykungfu that Taxidermy scene is much better. Thank you for challenging me.

Edit: OP updated with short synopsis and cutlist. Here's a screencap of the final timeline:

image.png

Last edited:
I'm glad you found the energy and enthusiasm to work on it! I sometimes feel like when I give feedback to an editor, they don't necessarily dismiss what I'm saying, they just don't have the energy to go make those changes because it feels like a lot of work for something that they don't think is that bad. lol It's probably literally my favorite thing to see a scene become the best it can be though...even more than wacky fanmixes or something creative. There's just something really satisfying about seeing something be clunky, and then seeing it go smoooooooth.

Back
Top Bottom