• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Lord of the Rings

The Faceless One said:
, it just seems like bad marketing to release something whilst also saying "there'll be a better version along soon", when you could release it saying "this has everything released on DVD and more!!!!", if they said that I would buy it, as it is I'll just wait and see.

Fair point! :)

I just picked up the extended edition on blu-ray. Yeah!

So, what about that green tint on the first movie? I saw plenty of pictures that are very, well, green...
Yet some people said it's not that big deal. I dont know what to think.

still waiting on my EE set from amazon in the mail.

Independent confirmation is important - youtube tends to do weird things to video and some of the uploader comments (on this and another video) seem to imply it might not be as bad as the youtube clips make it appear.

Otherwise...maybe The Shire is just part of The Matrix program? ;)

I'm still not sure whether I should buy this. The extended films (6 discs) are all Blu Ray, but all the extras are on DVD's.
That explains the high amount of discs for the relatively low price.

yeah the special features are exactly the same as those found in the DVD EE set. with the addition of the coste botes (sp?) documentary.
only the films are HD/BR and they are still split across 2 discs.

That was a good review you linked to, Elbarto1. I guess I will report back after watching regarding the green levels. I suspect it will be a mixed bag for me where it will annoy me in some scenes and I will like it in others. It seems odd that they would intentionally do a green blanket over the entire film, though maybe the idea is to make Fellowship seem brighter? Not in the sense of white levels, but in the sense of nature feeling alive and vibrant to the audience. This seems like the only logical artistic reason for doing this.

I have only watched the first couple minutes, but the video looks amazing so far. Considering this movie needs an intermission anyway, I will happily swap out discs halfway in exchange for the 30+Mb/s bitrate. It is important to note what that reviewer said in the elbarto's link that this is a much better transfer than the theatrical edition blu-ray had (ignoring the green debate).

geminigod said:
It seems odd that they would intentionally do a green blanket over the entire film, though maybe the idea is to make Fellowship seem brighter?
Welcome to Superman Returns and the grey blanket :) The clip elbarto posted still looked pretty ok. Well, that scene at least. Can anyone comment over the darker parts of the films? The comment section on youtube said some parts were worse than before.

Ok, I finished Fellowship. Here is my down and dirty review. The review elbarto linked to covers most of it. The good news first. Overall this new transfer looks amazing. The detail is stunning and with it split over two blu-ray discs, the compression quality is phenomenal.

Now onto the known issues with Fellowship discussed earlier in this thread. There is a lot of good news there as well. 1st, regarding concerns of the image being darker, IMHO this is not a problem. Rarely did I feel it was too dark except in places where it is supposed to be dark like Moria. No obviously terrible crushing of blacks really stood out to me. There is maybe mild detail lost in a few spots such as the Nazgul, but personally I think they look better that way. 2nd, regarding the green levels, there is some good news there as well. The notion that the entire movie has been "blanketed" is exaggerated. It appears to me that the green tint is only an issue in the footage prior to Rivendell. And even then it is only really an issue in a few areas. Green levels during indoor scenes appeared fine to me, but in outdoor scenes the green is there. In some images it makes the image look even more beautiful, however because the green tint was applied as a "blanket" to the entire image instead of a portion of the image some things appear green that should not. Most noteably are the sky and Gandolf's clothes. The white in his gray clothes really picked up the green color in a most unfortunate way.

The bad news is that I do have to admit it was bothersome to me in some scenes and unfortunate that these deliberate color changes where handled in such an amateur fashion. The good news is that it is not nearly as bad as some people are making it out to be or even as bad as the video clip posted earlier make it seem. Color is a bit of a relative thing to our brains. We perceive color in relation to the contrast of its surroundings to a certain extent. Viewing those clips side-by-side just makes it seem way more dramatic than it really is watching the movie. But again, it is a real and unfortunate issue, and it is very noticeable sometimes.

Thanks for this review Geminigod.

I still havent seen it firsthand, but I would wager alot of the issues [darkness/green] hit harder on monitors that arent properly or at least slightly calibrated.

I know the "green blanket" will be there, but i dont expect to have the darkness issues in the mines of moria.

we'll see, the boxset draws ever closer to my door :p

Oh, I forgot to mention the sound. Its tits. (that's a good thing for those of you not familiar with American slang. :)) It seems like some additional work was done on remastering this too. It is in DTS-HD master audio, and the LFE channel is intense. If you like good bass, you will love this.

Oh man... I just finished Two Towers. I forgot just how troublesome some parts of the story are to my psyche. A few moments make my heart cringe so bad that I want to charlie horse Peter Jackson. Don't get me wrong, I love the man. But he deserves a charlie horse or two for the Two Towers. The movie also has the worst pacing issues of the three. I may have to throw down at editing this at some point. It hurts too bad to watch it in its present form.

Even if I only removed Legolas swinging the wrong way onto the horse and Aragorn dropping down into the middle of the horde at helms deep, this movie would be about 100% better in my eyes. But there is much more than that that needs to be done. Jackson's treatment of Frodo with Faramir doesn't work on a number of levels. 1st, it makes Frodo appear way too weak for this middle movie. 2nd why the hell would Faramir ever think to himself that he should let Frodo go to Mordor after just witnessing Frodo try to hand the ring of power to a nazgul? Also the timing of the Ent scenes needs to be adjusted, at minimum.

geminigod said:
Oh man... I just finished Two Towers. I forgot just how troublesome some parts of the story are to my psyche. A few moments make my heart cringe so bad that I want to charlie horse Peter Jackson. Don't get me wrong, I love the man. But he deserves a charlie horse or two for the Two Towers. The movie also has the worst pacing issues of the three. I may have to throw down at editing this at some point. It hurts too bad to watch it in its present form.

Even if I only removed Legolas swinging the wrong way onto the horse and Aragorn dropping down into the middle of the horde at helms deep, this movie would be about 100% better in my eyes. But there is much more than that that needs to be done. Jackson's treatment of Frodo with Faramir doesn't work on a number of levels. 1st, it makes Frodo appear way too weak for this middle movie. 2nd why the hell would Faramir ever think to himself that he should let Frodo go to Mordor after just witnessing Frodo try to hand the ring of power to a nazgul? Also the timing of the Ent scenes needs to be adjusted, at minimum.

These all sound like amazing changes ..... the pacing was the weakest of the films and Legolas's stunts throughout the movies were far over the top. His character needs to come off as efficient, not flashy!

Yeah... maybe I'll do this before Riddick. Now with the blu-ray extend edition out, it seems like the right time. Somebody needs to. The objective would not be to make it more like the book but to just treat it as a regular movie and make it the best movie possible in a way that keeps the story in line with the other two movies, which I like as-is and would not care to change.

got my set in the mail but havent yet had the time to watch any of it. so i just stare at it like a creepy twisted hobbit.

In RotK, did they keep that scene where Pippin is on the small horse about to rid away with the rest of the Rohan people? I hate that scene, you can obviously tell it is CGI and would love to see that and some of Legolas killing the elephant out! That is far too easy to spot that it is CGI.

revel911 said:
In RotK, did they keep that scene where Pippin is on the small horse about to rid away with the rest of the Rohan people? I hate that scene, you can obviously tell it is CGI and would love to see that and some of Legolas killing the elephant out! That is far too easy to spot that it is CGI.

This scene is in the EE DVD, and so it should be on the EE blu Ray. I agree it looks bad. Not really "CGI" to my eyes, but it looks like a full sized well proportioned horse reduced and recomposed into the shot.

Back
Top Bottom