• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Lord of the Rings - The fellowship of the Ring - The Precious Edition

DonkeyKonga

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DKLR3FR.jpg

Heck why not. Let's do the entire thing.

I decided to make a Lotr Extended edition edit after all. I used the Regraded by Dwalin and 44rh1n version. So at least it doesn't have the infamous green tint!

I am using the 1.1 version of their recolor, so if there is a better or more recent version I'd love to hear it.

Changelist is extremely short:
- We don't see Isildur use the ring and go invisible. This is done better in the Theatrical to keep Bilbo's vanishing more shocking for new viewers. Used the theatrical shot of Isildur dead watching the ring go down.
- Removed the 'I am very selfish you know' part of Bilbo's speech, but kept the bit about Bilbo telling Frodo he has the most heart.
- Removed the 'Lean forward!' moment when the stone staircase collapses. Ain't no way your weight is going to make a difference here.
- The real reason I made this edit: added 'The precious Edition' to the title screen.

Last edited:
Not sure if you saw the Krausfadr post on Reddit, but he queried ChatGPT for the changes between the extended and theatrical release, and out came a detailed list with time stamps.

This may or may not be useful if you want to specifically look for anything to change further, such as misplaced “comedy” that I know you love so much.

This was the Reddit post for those who want to see, which is not my work. All credit to Krausfadr for this, which can be useful for other fan editors looking to revise between the theatrical and extended.

“Chat GPT - Fellowship Extended vs Theatrical

Ever need a concise summary style list of all differences between versions of a movie for making a fanedit? Let chatgpt 4 come to the rescue:

Here's a comprehensive, chronological list of the differences between the Extended and Theatrical versions of "The Fellowship of the Ring," with timestamps from the Extended Edition:

1. Isildur's Death Extended (0:04:44, 25 Sec): Additional shots of Isildur crawling, being discovered, and shot by orcs.
2. "Concerning Hobbits" Chapter Added (0:07:15, 2.42 Min): Scene describing hobbits.
3. Additional Dialogue with Gandalf and Frodo (0:11:16, 19 Sec): Extra commentary by Frodo while driving to the village.
4. Extended Scene of Hobbit Cleaning Ears (0:11:47, 5 Sec): Additional shot of a confused-looking hobbit.
5. Bilbo with Maps and Missing the Ring (0:12:03, 1.18 Min): Bilbo's scenes with maps and misplacing the ring.
6. Slightly Extended Carriage Scene (0:14:20, 0.5 Sec): A marginally longer shot of Frodo and Gandalf on the carriage.
7. Extended Shot of Gandalf After Frodo Jumps from Carriage (0:14:27, 0.5 Sec).
8. Bilbo Complains (0:16:53, 13.5 Sec): Extended complaints about his greedy relatives.
9. Bilbo's Party Conversation Extended (0:20:48, 1.07 Min): Extended interaction between Bilbo and Mrs. Bracegirdle, and the Sackville-Bagginses.
10. Pub Scene in Shire Extended (0:34:28, 1.14 Min): Extended discussion among hobbits about strange creatures and Bilbo.
11. Sam and Frodo Spotting Wood Elves (0:43:04, 1.35 Min): Sam and Frodo see wood elves heading to the Havens.
12. Extended Gatekeeper Scene in Bree (0:55:37, 3.5 Sec).
13. Extended Hobbits and Strider Conversation (0:56:40, 22 Sec): Discussion about trusting Strider.
14. Midgewater Marshes Scene Added (1:04:29, 1.33 Min): Merry and Pippin complaining about mosquitos and Strider singing an Elvish song.
15. Extended Sam Scene (1:14:35, 11 Sec): Sam talks about trolls.
16. Strider and Boromir at Isildur's Sword (1:29:46, 30 Sec): Interaction between Strider and Boromir.
17. Extended Council of Elrond (1:34:27, 1.11 Min): Boromir's vision and Gandalf speaking the Black Speech.
18. Slightly Extended Shot of Boromir (1:35:40, 2 Sec).
19. Different Cut in Moria Scene (1:38:58, 3 Sec): Added shot of Gandalf and Frodo.
20. Search for Moria's Entrance (1:39:04, 12 Sec): Fellowship searching for entrance.
21. Altered Gandalf Spell Scene in Moria (1:39:50, No Time Difference): Different shots of Gandalf trying to open Moria's gate.
22. Extended Gandalf's Spell Failure (1:39:57, 30 Sec): Additional dialogue and actions by Gandalf and the hobbits.
23. Extended Mithril Explanation in Moria (1:44:15, 75 Sec): Gandalf explains mithril's value.
24. Different Cut in Staircase Scene (1:44:17, No Time Difference).
25. Extended Gollum Discussion (1:45:37, 16 Sec): Gandalf tells Frodo about Gollum's past as Sméagol.
26. Extended Moria Fight Scene (1:52:49, 27 Sec): More action during the fight at Balin's tomb.
27. Different Placement of Troll Scene (1:52:49, No Time Difference).
28. Different Footage in Lothlórien (2:07:23, 27 Sec Cut in Extended Version): The Extended Version has a different sequence in Lothlórien compared to the theatrical cut because now they are initially refused passage.
29. Extended Elvish Town Scene (2:08:27, 9 Sec).
30. Extended Meeting with Galadriel (2:08:51, 10 Sec).
31. Extra Piece in Galadriel Meeting (2:09:01, 8 Sec): Celeborn inquires about Gandalf.
32. Extended Discussion at Galadriel Meeting (2:09:10, About 70 Sec): Dialogue involving Legolas, Galadriel, and Boromir.
33. Lament for Gandalf Extended (2:09:32, 15 Sec).
34. Additional Lament Scene (2:10:17, 30 Sec): Sam comments on Gandalf's fireworks.
35. Galadriel Reveals Her Ring (2:16:58, 10 Sec): Scene closer to the book's depiction.
36. Extended Gift-Giving Scene in Lothlórien (2:19:06, 4 Min 20 Sec Longer): Significant scene where each member of the Fellowship receives gifts.
37. Night Rest on River Extended (2:21:18, 2 Min): Additional scenes with Boromir, Aragorn, Frodo, and Sam.
38. Legolas' Extended Combat (1:18:08, 6 Sec): Legolas kills six orcs instead of three.
39. Aragorn's Additional Fight Sequences (1:18:47, 17 Sec): Aragorn jumps over a tree trunk and engages in more combat.
40. Boromir's Last Stand Extended (1:19:09, 7 Sec): Additional sequence of the hobbits helping Boromir by throwing rocks at orcs.
41. More Rock-Throwing and Boromir Fighting (1:19:22, 4 Sec): Continued fighting with hobbits and Boromir.
42. Different Shot of Hobbits' Reaction (Time Unspecified): Reaction to Boromir being hit by an arrow.
43. Extended Aragorn vs. Lurtz Fight (1:22:07, 2 Sec): Additional shot of Aragorn and Lurtz.
44. Boromir's Dying Moments Extended (1:24:51, 6 Sec): Boromir and Aragorn's final interaction.
45. Fan Club Credits (End of Movie): Credits for the Official Lord of the Rings Fanclub, exclusive to the Extended Edition.”

Those timestamps might be a little jacked up if you’re not using the dvd. But the summary is good.

Yes I will definitely look into adding Frodo and Gandalf's dialogue. It's far too cute.

Finished the Theatrical/Extended scene combination! Now we get the splendid theatrical dialogue. I used the dialogue about Bilbo's party from the extended to fill out the scene. It works pérfectly. Honestly the way the extended should have been done. Best of both worlds.

Last edited:
Goodness, Donkey! All three? You best buy Equador if you are paying me with bananas again.

What about tetralogies? Do you finish them?
No. Never. Don't even try to pull me into an Alien edit. lol.
This fellowship edit is really redundant tbh, apart from a small tweak of Isildur not going invisible and this scene there was litterally nothing I didn't like. This film is just too good.

But I like the idea of having 'The Precious Edition' on each movie title, and I imagine people who will like (and they WILL like) my TT and ROTK edits will appreciate some consistency. <3

Side note: i was pleasantly suprised the precious edition was a title that had not yet been used for any LOTR edit. Seemed like such a no-brainer that I assumed it was already taken.

This fellowship edit is really redundant tbh, apart from a small tweak of Isildur not going invisible and this scene there was litterally nothing I didn't like. This film is just too good.

But I like the idea of having 'The Precious Edition' on each movie title, and I imagine people who will like (and they WILL like) my TT and ROTK edits will appreciate some consistency. <3

Side note: i was pleasantly suprised the precious edition was a title that had not yet been used for any LOTR edit. Seemed like such a no-brainer that I assumed it was already taken.
Well...isn't that precious?

I was thinking that since you have one of the most highly acclaimed Indiana Jones edits...there are four more...could be a nice tidy package.

That gif is exactly how I feel. lmfao. No I don't see it ever happening. :p I like the other three as they are. Well, except for temple of Doom but there already is a 'less obnoxious willie' edition

Say, how would you feel about changing the brief Bilbo finding the ring scene at the opening with the Martin Freeman's piece from the first Hobbit? You know, just for franchise consistency sake.

Say, how would you feel about changing the brief Bilbo finding the ring scene at the opening with the Martin Freeman's piece from the first Hobbit? You know, just for franchise consistency sake.

It's interesting but I don't think it would improve the film mostly because if the 'you haven't aged a day' line becomes less powerful if you swap the shots.

The films are so wildly inconsistent with eachother that it seems counterintuitive. The tone, visual style doesn't match at all. So swapping the Bilbo actor would just be a bit.. redundant. The only visual consistency are Gandalf and the Shire.

If the orcs and world can look so wildly different (Not to mention the ugly wargs) the actor shouldn't really matter much. :p

^what about removing the “you haven’t aged a day” line as well? Just for argument’s sake

Well, then I'd be removing a great line that gives a bit of lore to the ring. :p
I’d argue the existence of Gollum and Bilbo’s feeling old even though he doesn’t look it and “I feel thin, stretched like butter scraped over too much bread” gives the same lore.

Then again is “I know I don’t look it” a callback and would seem random if the line were gone? Lol yes Bilbo you look amazing for 111!

And yeah it feels like the lore would be gone and it’d seem like he’s just describing how old he feels and not that he feels old despite his apparent youth. And finally it could feel random for Martin Freeman to appear only for Ian Holm to replace him for the rest of the trilogy. But on the other hand Galadriel specifically naming him makes it feel like, oh, this person is just playing the younger version of the character.

I dunno, I don’t know how I feel about it either. But clearly I like the Hobbit films enough to care about the consistency :)

Surely Gandalf has visited Bilbo and the shire at least a good couple times since The Hobbit, otherwise he wouldn't even know Frodo. So the "you haven't aged a day" line is really not important, cause he might have seen Bilbo the last time maybe fifteen, maybe ten years ago, who knows, but definitely not since The Hobbit.

Last edited:
Reactions: M4_
Also, maybe Aragorn visiting his mother's grave would be better BEFORE the council takes place? It's sweet and all, but always felt a little too narrative breaking for me.

Back
Top Bottom