• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Lion King: Definitive Edition

strangecalendars

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Lion King is a classic animated film that I'm sure many of us have either seen in theaters or grown up watching it. As the years have passed, Disney has released the film on home media several times over. Many of these changes were either fairly innocuous or just overall for the better, such as restoring and enhancing the animation quality or altering Scar's shadow to better match the lighting. Some of these changes were for the worse, however, and didn't look as good as they had in previous releases. Thus, after rewatching the film and perusing this article, I set out to make the best version of the film that I could.

Intention: Utilize the different home media releases of The Lion King to make the best version possible of the film in my eyes. There were certain shots and edits that I felt had been better composed in previous home media releases (such as the reanimated crocodiles and waterfalls), while there were others that didn't quite sit right with me (like the final shot of the opening "Circle of Life" sequence. Thus, I went through the different release and chose which versions of each change I preferred, and combined it all into one film. While I was at it, I felt that it'd be fun to include any more songs or deleted scenes that I could, too.

Sources:
- The Lion King VHS release
- The Lion King Platinum Edition
- The Lion King: Diamond Edition
- The Lion King: Signature Collection
- Eduardo Quintana's fan-animation of the stage version of the cut song "The Madness of King Scar"

Changes and Addition:
- The Frank Wells tribute was moved to the beginning of the film, like how it was in the theatrical release and the VHS release.

- I replaced the modern Disney logo with the orange-and-black logo that was used in the Platinum edition.

- The redone shot of Rafiki holding up baby Simba at the end of the Circle of Life sequence was swapped out for the original version of the shot from the theatrical and VHS release.

- The Morning Report sequence was added back in instead of the original pouncing lesson scene.

- Eduardo Quintana's animation of the stage version of the cut song "The Madness of King Scar" was added in after the scene where the hyena's confront Scar about not having enough food.

- The version of the scene where Simba is lying on the cliff ledge and the dust forms the letters "SFX" was added back in.

- The scene where Simba runs towards the clouds after speaking to Mufasa was restored (after the clouds were mistakenly removed in the Diamond Edition).

- The end credits from the theatrical and VHS release where the credits scroll down in one column instead of two were added back in.

Additional notes: Although the visual quality of the shots I took from the VHS release is slightly lower than that of the rest of the film, I don't think it's noticeable enough to cause any problems with the flow of the film.

Theatrical Runtime: Approximately 1 hour 28 minutes
Fanedit Runtime: Approximately 1 hour 30 minutes

Cool stuff!

If you want me to try running your VHS scenes through Topaz AI to help clean anything up, let me know. I'm happy test it out for you.

LOVE this movie! Still makes me cry and really hits me to the core with the father/son stuff.

This edit is currently being reviewed for approval by @MusicEd921. Thank you for your commitment to our community, Music!

Cool stuff!

If you want me to try running your VHS scenes through Topaz AI to help clean anything up, let me know. I'm happy test it out for you.

LOVE this movie! Still makes me cry and really hits me to the core with the father/son stuff.
I would like to know what are the optimal settings you use for old VHS footage. I have a film that I want to upscale using Topaz and feel like I have tried everything but still doesn't come out like I had hoped. I try all combinations of resolutions and different AI Models. Adding grain back helps a lot but still I am not getting something like I have seen others get out of it

I would like to know what are the optimal settings you use for old VHS footage. I have a film that I want to upscale using Topaz and feel like I have tried everything but still doesn't come out like I had hoped. I try all combinations of resolutions and different AI Models. Adding grain back helps a lot but still I am not getting something like I have seen others get out of it

Right now I'm trying to fix the awful DVD quality from a Blondie movie (the 1930's-1940's film series) and testing out Dione Interlaced TV setting to see what happens with that. The quality in the preview looks good, but I'm curious how it looks after it's finished.

All the changes sound amazing. It always makes me shake my head and wonder why some things are done after the release when the original was so much better. Thanks for taking the time to "correct" them and make it available to us.

Back
Top Bottom