• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992)

I only saw this movie in bits and pieces as a kid, but I never saw it in full until now, and I think my younger self might owe me an apology. Michael Caine plays a very effective Scrooge, and being a muppets fan myself, I appreciated their style sprinkled throughout this adaptation. Even better, they don't go overboard with it to the point where it affects the story like some movies do. The only criticism I have is that the ending went by a little too fast, and I wanted the ghost of Christmas Future section to be much scarier (but maybe that's asking too much from a muppet movie). Overall, it's a solid adaptation of Charles Dickens holiday tale, and not a bad pick for the festive season.

Side note: If you've never seen this movie before, make sure you're watching the extended version. The extended version has a song called "The Love is Gone," which was cut because someone didn't want to make the kiddies sad, even though it's totally necessary for explaining Scrooge's past. I watched this on Disney+, and I almost missed out, because the extended version was hidden in the extras section of the movie's page. As it turns out, the releasing of the extended version has been spotty on physical media as well (Which says a lot about Disney and how much it cares about its own properties). While it is a chore, do your research first and seek that edition out before watching.

The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992)

I only saw this movie in bits and pieces as a kid, but I never saw it in full until now, and I think my younger self might owe me an apology. Michael Caine plays a very effective Scrooge, and being a muppets fan myself, I appreciated their style sprinkled throughout this adaptation. Even better, they don't go overboard with it to the point where it affects the story like some movies do. The only criticism I have is that the ending went by a little too fast, and I wanted the ghost of Christmas Future section to be much scarier (but maybe that's asking too much from a muppet movie). Overall, it's a solid adaptation of Charles Dickens holiday tale, and not a bad pick for the festive season.

Side note: If you've never seen this movie before, make sure you're watching the extended version. The extended version has a song called "The Love is Gone," which was cut because someone didn't want to make the kiddies sad, even though it's totally necessary for explaining Scrooge's past. I watched this on Disney+, and I almost missed out, because the extended version was hidden in the extras section of the movie's page. As it turns out, the releasing of the extended version has been spotty on physical media as well (Which says a lot about Disney and how much it cares about its own properties). While it is a chore, do your research first and seek that edition out before watching.

^I love the meme of this, where they're like "Okay Mr. Caine, so we're mostly just going to be focusing on the puppets and sets, we'll call you when we need you, no stress." <Michael Caine>"I am going to play this as serious as g****m heart attack."

Watched a few good ones this weekend. Merry Christmas everyone!

The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017)
Somehow missed this when it came out. One of the strangest and most disturbing films I’ve ever seen. It was nice seeing an older Nicole Kidman do her thing. The rest of the family did an excellent job as well.

Midnight Run (1988)
Never knew about this gem with one of my favorite actors Robert De Niro. Very entertaining and comical. The scene where he visits his ex wife and sees his daughter grown up brought a tear to my eyes.

The Electric Horseman (1979)
Another one of my favorite actors Robert Redford stars in this country gem with the beautiful Jane Fonda. Makes you realize the harsh things we do to animals (horses in particular) for entertainment purposes. This turned into a very touching film the further it went and it ended with one of my all time favorite songs “Hands on the Wheel” by Willie Nelson. It was awesome seeing Willie play a major role as well!

Just watched Legend. Longest 90 minutes I've ever sat through. My dad and I agreed the visuals were great while the story wasn't. He actively hated the rest but he doesn't really do fantasy. I felt like I had a better grasp on and appreciate for what Ridley Scott was going but the result simply isn't good. It's too dreamy to make sense. That's how I'd describe this movie: a dreamy fairy tale.

Just watched Legend. Longest 90 minutes I've ever sat through. My dad and I agreed the visuals were great while the story wasn't. He actively hated the rest but he doesn't really do fantasy. I felt like I had a better grasp on and appreciate for what Ridley Scott was going but the result simply isn't good. It's too dreamy to make sense. That's how I'd describe this movie: a dreamy fairy tale.
May sound like an odd recommendation, but I found myself enjoying this edit of Legend https://ifdb.fanedit.org/legend-the-return-of-darkness/ much more than one of the shorter official cuts. Who knows, you might too!

The Exorcist Extended Edition (1973)
Came out 50 years ago on this date. Forgot someone gave me the dvd awhile ago, not sure if I’ve ever seen all of it until now. Can’t imagine seeing this in theaters back then after Christmas!

Paranormal Activity (2009)
Kept it rolling in the theme of possession with something that resonated in my childhood like Exorcist did with others. My friends and I were definitely a little spooked having sleepovers after seeing this when it first came out. We used to mess with each other all the time. Rewatching it today still holds up pretty well; the fact that we never actually see the demon is what I love the most. Seems like something that could actually happen in real life if you believe in that kind of stuff!

Oh I forgot to mention I was watching the US cut. I knew there were two different ones and I knew I had the wrong score when I saw Tangerine Dream in the credits but I was just going with whatever Amazon had. I really felt the film would work better with orchestra than electronic though, so knowing I was watching the one with the electronic score the whole way through bugged me.

Oh I forgot to mention I was watching the US cut. I knew there were two different ones and I knew I had the wrong score when I saw Tangerine Dream in the credits but I was just going with whatever Amazon had. I really felt the film would work better with orchestra than electronic though, so knowing I was watching the one with the electronic score the whole way through bugged me.
Haven't seen that version or the 113-minute Director's Cut yet. From what I understand the former's replacement of Jerry Goldsmith's score with Tangerine Dream music was to try and make it more marketable (akin to Giorgio Moroder's additions to The NeverEnding Story), whether the film benefits or not being a subject of contention.

The 93-minute International Cut (the only official version I've seen) didn't engage my interest, but @zrfarnsworth's edit is a worthy addition in my eyes to the roster of fantasy films from that decade.

Would I like it even if I didn't like the US cut? It's still the same movie.

Can't say I'm afraid, would have to see the US Cut myself to say if the other cuts are a sufficient improvement that it would be worth buying a copy, sorry!

Could try listening to the Goldsmith music, maybe that would arouse sufficient interest.

Believe me, the mere concept of Goldsmith's music is an engaging prospect, but it's ultimately the same script.

Your description of "a dreamy fairy tale" is very much what the film is meant to be. If you're just not into that, period, then there is no version of this movie that will make it something else.

That said, the US theatrical release is about the most dumbed-down version possible. Different scenes, different ending, different music...many changes made to appeal to "the MTV generation", as executives saw American teens of the time. Ridley Scott hated all the changes, but agreed they were probably necessary to market it in the US.

Zrfarnsworth is actually reworking the opening to his edit as we speak, making it even better and more gripping. I think his edit allows the story to shine better and for the themes of the film to resonate more, and it has the best ending (a combo of the 3 that were released). If a classic Brother's Grimm fairy tale sounds pretty cool to you, and you just want it done better, I'd give his new edit a shot when it gets updated.

Your description of "a dreamy fairy tale" is very much what the film is meant to be. If you're just not into that, period, then there is no version of this movie that will make it something else.
I do think it appeals to me and the Director's Cut is nagging me, but my poor experience with a mercifully shorter cut leaves me very hesitant to commit to a longer one.

Merry Christmas!

Elf (ADM extended edition)
For younger millennials, this movie is already a holiday classic...I've always enjoyed it, but it's taken awhile for me to think of it as a perennial rewatch. ADM's version is old, but having those extra bits in was just the incentive I needed to throw this one into the Christmas film rotation.

101 Reykjavik (2000)
This Icelandic, acerbic, black comedy happens between 2 Christmases but I'll admit is a stretch for a holiday film otherwise. In the early 90s, it might have seemed edgy and witty but to me now the main guy was just annoying and hateable and not terribly funny. Aesthetically, I got some fun Run Lola Run throwback vibes but like... you know.... in a bleak snowscape.

Powder Blue (2009)
Most people know of this film as the one where Jessica Biel is a stripper and gets naked, and that is indeed far and away the best thing going for it. I have no idea what script the fantastic cast got that convinced them to sign up for this, but it could not have resembled much what scenes eventually made it to the screen, because the writing is a preposterous mess.

Wonka - The best film of the year, best film of the 2020's, great film!
National Lampooms XMas Vaction, a delightful comedy, with a bit of crass humor which I don't prefer.
A Christmas Story A classic to add to my collection, I enjoyed the film, first time seeing all the way through.
A Christmas Story Christmas, what a late sequel should be, very respectful and a sweet homage to the first.
Aquaman, a great action adventure aquatic superhero outing! Tmrw I'll go see Aquaman 2!

Godzilla Minus One (2023)
Went in expecting some fun with a modern, in-your-face, action-packed monster flick. Was blown away by a beautifully portrayed, thoughtful, emotional drama set against an occasionally-Godzilla-filled backdrop.

Rebel Moon, Part One: A Child of Fire (2023):
More proof that Netflix (or any other studio) seriously needs to stop giving Zack creative control over story and direction.
His best films were other people's stories (Dawn of the Dead, 300, Man of Steel, ...). He gets too crazy with no one to reign him in. This is just decent, while
there's a more than just decent film buried in between the abundance of slow motion and PG13 antics. Let's hope the extended R-Rated cut is its saviour.

That said, the US theatrical release is about the most dumbed-down version possible. Different scenes, different ending, different music...many changes made to appeal to "the MTV generation", as executives saw American teens of the time. Ridley Scott hated all the changes, but agreed they were probably necessary to market it in the US.

Zrfarnsworth is actually reworking the opening to his edit as we speak, making it even better and more gripping. I think his edit allows the story to shine better and for the themes of the film to resonate more, and it has the best ending (a combo of the 3 that were released). If a classic Brother's Grimm fairy tale sounds pretty cool to you, and you just want it done better, I'd give his new edit a shot when it gets updated.

This is why fanediting exists, and why saying that every version is the same movie is a fallacy. Another perfect example of this is Blade Runner, coincidentally also directed by Ridley Scott. My 30th anniversary set contains 5 cuts of the film, and each one changes the movie, both for better or for worse. Contrast the US theatrical cut with the final cut and it's practically night and day despite both having the same runtime.

Back
Top Bottom