• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Kryptonian Man - complete

tremault

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kryptonian Man is meant to be a wildly different approach to Man of Steel, putting the military front and centre, and portraying Lois and the alien 'super man' as aloof and rude.
It is slightly grindhoused in places, but I did want to try and maintain some sincerity in places. I introduced some now perspectives through the use of text inserts and I used specific attention to colour in 3 individual points.
firstly, I added colour to the fire and explosions in smallville,
second I gave the alien some colour to indicate when the military start to trust him a little,
lastly i added colour to the final victory over the other aliens when their ship is sucked into a singularity.
It has a running time of around 40 mins.

----------------------------------------------

I was thinking today about how I had removed nearly all the military from my man of steel edit.
I then thought to myself.... what if I went the other way? (remove most of clark,lois, zod, jor el, etc. and keep mainly the military)

I decided to try and see what this would look like, so I proceeded to do a hack job and see how it felt. As I worked and slapped in some edgy frame shifting and some smash cuts, I felt it had a particular energy to it and decided to lean into the type of unconventional style we often see in older movies, how Tarantino sometimes does. I am not really sure what this style of work is called. It's certainly dynamic and unconventional and I just really had fun with it.
  • Shift perspective to that of the US military
  • Remove nearly all information that they wouldn't have access to
  • Remove colour and adjust contrast to 1930s style cinema
  • Try to lightly emulate the feel of a B movie
  • Enhance the major explosions with LIVING-COLOR™

kXQfHRY.jpg

I have something that is at a fairly complete stage. Of course as always, I'm more than happy to listen to feedback and suggestions.
This is a different type of work for me and is very raw.

anyhow, here's a clip.

Last edited:
The film opens in a bar with 2 soldiers talking about an unidentified object on ellesmere island, they laugh at some poor sap getting beer poured over his head then we cut to a helicopter landing in a snowy environment. a nosey reporter has arrived and she's a bit of a douchebag too! Our hero Colonel Nathan Hardy deals with her as best he can.
Here's another clip from the second scene.

I have been thinking about this kind of slow motion edit to this music track for quite a while and I am hoping to insert this in the middle, as a sort of 'bridge'.
I have yet to actually insert it though, still trying to get a good slowmo with topaz. this test clip was done in 720p, but now I'm trying to process it in 4k it.s giving me weird stuttery/blurry artefacts.

Interesting idea overall, but that last filter is ugly as hell...

I felt it had a particular energy to it and decided to lean into the type of unconventional style we often see in older movies, how Tarantino sometimes does.
For example where?
You mean grindhouse?

Btw, have you considered doing something that isnt superhero-related?

Interesting idea overall, but that last filter is ugly as hell...
Great feedback :D , I'll explain what I was doing there. I set out to use topaz to produce some slow motion footage of the fighting. Topaz seemed to struggle with some frames and produced blurry effects. I thought that blurry effect resembled the watercolour filter in resolve. I thought if I lean into that, it could provide something workable. I appreciate the frank feedback though as it may simply be a mistake to insert this scene into my project. It's useful to get this kind of unadulterated honest feedback.
For example where?
I'm thinking about the way he uses older styles like the intro to Kill Bill and how he did his grindhouse movies. The older movies I was thinking of with unconventional cutting are things like Dracula and Frankenstein era.
Btw, have you considered doing something that isnt superhero-related?
Good question. It has crossed my mind for sure. My reasonfor starting fan editing was avengers endgame though,so I've been sort of branching out fromthere, and I am a fan of superhero films anyway, but I certainly do enjoy other movies. I've considered doing something with Godzilla vs Kong, maybe pacific rim 2, maybe I'll focus on my lotr or star wars...

I've considered doing something with Godzilla vs Kong, maybe pacific rim 2, maybe I'll focus on my lotr or star wars...
No, please, no LOTR & Star Wars :D, do something that wasn't done yet and won't drown in the pool full of hundreds of similar edits, Pacific Rim 2 sounds like a good idea. I cant recall any edits of this one and it certainly looks like it needs one.

thinking about the way he uses older styles like the intro to Kill Bill and how he did his grindhouse movies.
Ok then, that is something that always has my support - if done right. Have you seen any of my grindhouse edits by any chance? Justice League Grindhoused?

I'd advice not going black & white though. Never considered this to be something I would want to see. Washed out colours, heavy grain, simulated print damage - now, that's something that can look spectacular (it doesnt in my ZSJL edit though, that was my first attempt).

My reasonfor starting fan editing was avengers endgame
My reason for coming back to fanediting was ZSJL, so I can understand that ;)

Last edited:
No, please, no LOTR & Star Wars :D, do something that wasn't done yet and won't drown in the pool full of hundreds of similar edits, Pacific Rim 2 sounds like a good idea. I cant recall any edits of this one and it certainly looks like it needs one.
Thanks for the encouragement and advice! I do want to continue my lotr and SW and the style I was going for was original and new, but it's true that they would get mostly lost. I do want them though even if they are just for me.
Yes, I was sad how PR2 turned out so maybe I will put that in the queue to do after avengers end? good stuff!
Ok then, that is something that always has my support - if done right. Have you seen any of my grindhouse edits by any chance? Justice League Grindhoused?
Haha that is fantastic!! Yes that is definitely the type of thing I was riffing off! So is that what grindhouse is? I always struggle to find the right terms, but it seems like it's combining elements that are anachronistic and use aggressive editing in places.

I wish I could watch other people's stuff from here but I really struggle to find the time to watch anything. I'm desperately trying to keep up with deep space 9 as it's broadcast on TV because me and my brother chat about it each week when he calls. He's never seen it before and I literally don't remember 99% of it.

Thanks for the encouragement and advice! I do want to continue my lotr and SW and the style I was going for was original and new

Sure, do those things, but in the meantime try to explore some undiscovered (or forgotten) grounds too;)

In case you try grindhouse route I can give you some advice if necessary.

In case you try grindhouse route I can give you some advice if necessary.
That's really helpful, thanks! Do you have any blanket advice based on what I've shown?
I am thinking I might do some small edits to adjust the dialogue's and introduce some potential off-key humour, similar to how I have Lois acting a bit like a douche in that clip. But other than that, I do have a more or less complete version. let's call it a draft as there's always something that could be altered or improved, right?
It's around 40 minutes in length btw.

Do you have any blanket advice based on what I've shown?

First thing I think of, is maybe using some additional material from other sources if possible to make it a little more crazy.
Some destruction shots, shooting soldiers etc.

Something like BionicBob did in his JL edit to have panicking crowd escaping or what I did here:
I think that Smallville sequence can be easily "enriched" that way (and final Metropolis battle too). I could also see it combined in some way with some other movies. There are similar military-heavy sequences in Transformers 1 & 3. Maybe some usable shots could be found there.

First thing I think of, is maybe using some additional material from other sources if possible to make it a little more crazy.
Some destruction shots, shooting soldiers etc.

Something like BionicBob did in his JL edit to have panicking crowd escaping or what I did here:
I think that Smallville sequence can be easily "enriched" that way (and final Metropolis battle too). I could also see it combined in some way with some other movies. There are similar military-heavy sequences in Transformers 1 & 3. Maybe some usable shots can be find there.
LMAO that's brilliant XD
Yes that is a really great plan! Obviously I have to fit it to my own personal sensibilities but I definitely think that is along the right sort of lines. more explosions certainly seems good. I don't want to make the military look careless though, I want it to be more subtle. I'll give it some thoughts! Definitely some really useful advice :D

Just one thing - grindhouse usually isn't subtle, but yeah, personal sensibilites can't be ignored I guess.
I usually tend to turning into absurd territory ;)

I did another pass at this today. I fiddled a bit with some dialogue and I adjusted a few things for a comedic value. I didn't want to make the entire film comedy, so I didn't do too many... I'm not really sure if it works well to have isolated snippets of humour in there with other more serious parts. This could be an acquired taste?
Here's a clip of a narrative device I wanted to try. I believe the text is fitting with the military nature of this fanedit and also the way I'm emulating 30s films.

I don't expect people to be excited about this as it is man of steel again and I haven't really worked very hard to inspire people or drum up interest but if anyone would like to check out this draft, I would be most appreciative.

I guess I was not as positive as I could have been XD

Kryptonian Man is meant to be a wildly different approach to Man of Steel, putting the military front and centre, and portraying Lois and the alien 'super man' as aloof and rude.
It is slightly grindhoused in places, but I did want to try and maintain some sincerity in places. I introduced some now perspectives through the use of text inserts and I used specific attention to colour in 3 individual points.
firstly, I added colour to the fire and explosions in smallville,
second I gave the alien some colour to indicate when the military start to trust him a little,
lastly i added colour to the final victory over the other aliens when their ship is sucked into a singularity.
It has a running time of around 40 mins.

I'd really like to have a second opinion before I submit it to the database, but if nobody wishes to, I will work on a cover and submit it maybe early next week.

Thanks for the help I've received in this topic so far :)

I've designed the cover. Mimicking 40's style movie posters and leaning into a fictional premise for the creation of the movie.
full

Well I didn't want to leave this too long and it's just before the end of the year and I wanted to hopefully fit this into 2022.
I didn't have any previews so I honestly don't know how this is going to go down.
I did have an offer of a preview so I totally appreciate that, but I couldn't wait too long and I understand people are busy.

This was a small experimental project, I never expected much traction so any and all interest is appreciated.

This is now submitted to the IFDB for review this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom