• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Hole in the Bottom of the World

WilliamRedRobin

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
8153332_orig.png
Background:
If I told you that a movie was "almost perfect", you'd probably think it was pretty good.
Well, 2009's The Hole is almost perfect, and it's terrible.
I found this movie in an old DVD binder last year and I was flooded with vague memories of watching the film with my sister when I was about the same age as the kid in it. I had a feeling that this movie had had a lasting impact on me, but I couldn't remember anything about it. Watching it again with my wife last Halloween was one of those odd nostalgic experiences where you only remember something as you're seeing it again. At first I was pleasantly surprised by the tense atmosphere that was being built, but it fells apart pretty suddenly around the middle, and before long we were laughing ourselves silly over what were supposed to be scares.
But I could see that there was a good movie in there trying to get out. The story itself is pretty solid, and the movie actually pulls itself together for a pretty cool and unique final scene.
So, when I got into fanediting, this was one of the first edits that it occurred to me to do:

The Hole in the Bottom of the World
Intention:
First and foremost, my goal with this edit was to remove the laughable elements and make the movie genuinely scary.
For the most part there's nothing else wrong with the movie, trimming a bit of 2000s dialogue here and there, and adding some of my own touches was all that it took to bring out the best it can be.

Challenges:
For this edit, I've tried to incorporate everything I've learned so far in editing. Switching over to Davinci Resolve, this is the first time I've worked with 5.1 audio and I've tried to do some interesting things with it, but I'm not entirely sure how It'll turn out. I've also tried some more VFX similar to what I've done in my Star Wars edit which aims to improve the horror in some notable areas where it's lacking.

Previews:
Being a horror movie, I though the best time to release this edit would be October, but if you're in the mood for some premature screaming, I have a preview version ready for feedback now.
Specifically, I'm looking for people to point out any technical areas I've missed, and tell me which parts of the movie they didn't think were very scary so that I can try to find away to improve them.
I'm especially interested in people with surround sound systems, since I don't actually have any way to properly test the 5.1 audio editing I've been doing, so I need someone to tell me if it sounds odd in any parts.
Please DM me if you're interested in an early viewing.

I'll be working on a trailer to upload soon. Thanks for your interest!

Just finished the trailer for this edit:

Hopefully this gives you some idea of what's in store

Damn! William The Red Robin. You flew the nest on this one! That trailer definitely looks cool. I love it that you quoted one of FDR famous speeches.

That is a very nice trailer! I quite like this film as is (treating it as a PG13 horror) but I'm very interested in seeing what your version looks like.

Hopefully I can enhance the strengths of the film while trimming the weaknesses. It should also still be reasonably kid friendly, so It'd make a great family viewing for Halloween.

This edit is now submitted and will be available from tomorrow, just in time for Halloween.
If you're looking for a scary movie to watch alone or with family, this is the one you're looking for!
It'll knock your socks off, scare your pants off, and leave you frankly naked from the waist down.

And given that this is the sunday before Halloween, and you might not get a chance on Tuesday, I'll even start giving out early links today!
THBW-Poster.jpg

I won't do a any new edits until next year, but over the next few months I'll be remaking and improving my first edit: 'Dawn of Justice' as a side project.

Back
Top Bottom