• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Hobbit

vlcsnap2011070821h58m26.png

vlcsnap2011070821h58m47.png

vlcsnap2011070821h58m56.png

vlcsnap2011070822h02m03.png

52328.jpg

52380y.jpg

52381c.jpg

EW-Bilbo-Dwarves.jpg

Hobbit-Martin-Freeman-Jackson_610.jpg

Hobbit-Ian-Mckellan_610.jpg

summary of the article by Ian Nathan (some of this information you may consider spoilers):

*A lot of The Hobbit is being filmed indoors due to weather problems during LOTR's shoot. Only nine weeks of the 254-day shoot will be on location. "I've learned to trust the studio," PJ joked.
*The Dwarves enter Rivendell where the Fellowship left it in the EE.
*PJ says he is not overdoing the 3D, for him it's about texture, immersion and seeing more of Middle-earth, though he guarantees the "odd Orc arrow".
*There's a candid conversation between McKellen and Bret McKenzie that was overheard, where McKellen asked him if he was at the Council of Elrond, and McKenzie replied he was just an extra.
*PJ elaborated part of his problem with The Hobbit and why he didn't want to direct it was because of the mass of Dwarves and slightly self-serving quest to reclaim the Lonely Mountain's treasure. But soon PJ began to adore the book's tone and differentiate the Dwarves better, because he saw something of himself in them. "We are being more humorous than LOTR but that is the characters. I'm dealing with a bunch of extenuate and forthright Dwarves who are not afraid to say what they think: they have a healthy disregard for the icons of Middle-earth."
*The party's designs are inspired by Vikings, Picts, druids, heavy metal bassists and, erm, Obelix.
*There's a dwarf wedgie ("It's in the appendices", PJ claimed, uhuh) and a "snot gun".
*Elrond will search Dol Guldur's dungeons with Gandalf.
*PJ kept his distance when Del Toro was directing so he didn't see much of his concept art until he realised he would be replacing him. "There's definitely some GDT DNA in the mix, and so there should be, I love some of his designs," but overall he's moving away from GDT's steampunk and clockwork essence in some of his designs.
*PJ and GDT agreed on casting Martin Freeman.
*It was after watching the Sherlock season 1 finale that PJ called Freeman's agent to arrange for two ten-week gaps in The Hobbit shoot to allow Freeman to film season 2 of Sherlock.

Very interesting on set report (first of several) at ain't it cool news.
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/51787

Looks like we could have some extra scenes / shots of Bag End with Frodo and Bilbo (played by Ian, even if he shot his scenes in London. Like Lee) to maybe use in future fanedits of Fellowship of the ring. (wonder how old they will look though. The pictures of Elijah are not very perfec to say that).

Brumous said:
All sorts of geeky goodness in this 10 minute video about 3D cameras, 5K resolution and 48 frames per second & color grading. And how makeup, sets, costumes etc. have to be adjusted to fit the technological requirements.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150451523596807

that vid was pretty impressive, I haven't been convinced by 3D, but if one movie can pull it off it will be this one

You know how Lucas went back and inserted Hayden Christensen in Jedi. Do you think Jackson will ever go back and insert Martin Freeman in that short clip in Lord Of The Rings where Ian Holm's finds the ring?

^
I think I read something about that few months ago in an interview.
But can't remember if it was just a little joke or something serious.

Fantastic trailer, looks like ties in with LOTR really well. So looking forward to this.

Can't wait to go back to Middle-Earth asap.

Trailers looks promising!! The LOTR atmoshpere from back then appears again.

Hmmm... I saw three new trailers yesterday - Dark Knight Rises, Prometheus and this one, The Hobbit. Only The Hobbit left me unimpressed. Now, this may well be because I feel like I've had a LOTR overkill. Ever since Return of The King came out, I've seen them all again on DVD, seen the LOTR symphony three times, and then went to see each LOTR movie screened with a live orchestra. My own fault, I know :D

I feel the same with Star Wars, which is why I'm not going to be seeing them in 3D next year. So, The Hobbit? Yeah, it looks fine, but I fear overkill may ruin this movie for me. Now, if Del Torro had stayed on board as director, now that I might be more interested in. Just my opinion mind.

I saw Dark Knight Rises and looks ok IMO, jsut not great. Hope to be proved wrong.

I think The Hobbit looks great but yeah Star Wars is a bit overkill now I guess. Not sure if will see Episode I in 3D as IMO worse film anyway. May see Empire in 5 years :)

TMBTM said:
About the 48 fps shooting:
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/55212

I don't know what to think about.
Part of me can't wait. The other feels like I could hate this.

Holy mother of... I had no idea that Peter Jackson was shooting this in 48 fps. That is huge! How the hell did he ever get the studios to agree to that?

I fear that there is going to be a massive uprising against this, but as faneditors we should pray that this doesn't get cut back for BD release. That would be so awesome to be able to edit with 48 fps.

I for one am excited. Resolution has reached a point where the limiting factor now really is framerate. At some point collectively as a society we just need to get over this notion of what "filmic" looks like. Hopefully younger people will be more embracing of it.

geminigod said:
Holy mother of... I had no idea that Peter Jackson was shooting this in 48 fps. That is huge! How the hell did he ever get the studios to agree to that?

I fear that there is going to be a massive uprising against this, but as faneditors we should pray that this doesn't get cut back for BD release. That would be so awesome to be able to edit with 48 fps.

I for one am excited. Resolution has reached a point where the limiting factor now really is framerate. At some point collectively as a society we just need to get over this notion of what "filmic" looks like. Hopefully younger people will be more embracing of it.

i guess it will be a generation thing - much like old movies look "odd" to us our movies will have that look for the future generation. While the reviews are pretty mixed I think 48fps has a much likelier future than 3D

Sunarep said:
i guess it will be a generation thing - much like old movies look "odd" to us our movies will have that look for the future generation. While the reviews are pretty mixed I think 48fps has a much likelier future than 3D

I understand where the criticism comes from, but I'm going to hold judgement until I see it for myself. As I understand it Cameron was pushing Jackson to go to 60fps, something he plans to use for Avatar 2. If this is the reaction to 48fps I can't wait to see what 60 is.

You do make a valid point that this is more likely to stay whereas 3D will be only a novelty.

Back
Top Bottom