• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Hateful Eight: the "When you have to shoot, don't talk" fanedit

Thanks for watching, MrBadcrumble, glad you liked it. I'll try to explain my decisions:

I went from the standpoint of first time viewer and intentionally left out the poisoning so it remains ambiguous until it's clear what it is. That's one of the reasons I cut out the narration, I didn't  like him explaining what's obvious. I get it, cut that way can seem odd, but I like such oddities here and there in movies, if they pay off later in the story. And while editing, I amused myself with the fact that Warren is saying "him not knowing" when coffee pot appears (and Quentin shot it exactly like that from the other angle, but he's blabbering all over it), or the notion that Warren is screwing with the old man, pushing him and making him boil... coffee pot, boil... well, you know :rolleyes:

Regarding end titles, my first  intention was just to replace end title music. When I decided on Bacalov I randomly placed it where it is now. And it clicked. Since it's been established that the letter is BS, it seemed kind of unnecessary for it to be read completely. Just that Mannix asked to read it was enough for me, since he was the one that taunted Warren about it. And then there's just the "dear Marques" tarantinesque repetition... So I left it like that. I also think the camera work has a nice flow with the tune.

Fade ins/outs were made without much thinking, I just went with gut feeling and dynamics of scenes before or after. As for the artifacts you mention, I did check and there weren't any - I guess it must be a codec glitch or something like that... Do they appear every time you play it, in the same place?

P.S.
Tthanks for making me check the file again, I did find one hard to spot edit glitch so I'll be fixing it and also inserting my intro logo animation when I finish it. I just hope I won't piss Dominic Cobb off by submitting this a million times!

Plissken1138 said:
Thanks for watching, MrBadcrumble, glad you liked it. I'll try to explain my decisions:

I went from the standpoint of first time viewer and intentionally left out the poisoning so it remains ambiguous until it's clear what it is. That's one of the reasons I cut out the narration, I didn't  like him explaining what's obvious.

No problem, happy to do so. Fan edits are my main source of movie entertainment nowadays!

Fair. And the removal of the narration really helps the movie.

Regarding end titles, my first  intention was just to replace end title music. When I decided on Bacalov I randomly placed it where it is now. And it clicked. Since it's been established that the letter is BS, it seemed kind of unnecessary for it to be read completely. Just that Mannix asked to read it was enough for me, since he was the one that taunted Warren about it. And then there's just the "dear Marques" tarantinesque repetition... So I left it like that. I also think the camera work has a nice flow with the tune.

Ah! A perfectly good reason and idea. :)

As for the artifacts you mention, I did check and there weren't any - I guess it must be a codec glitch or something like that... Do they appear every time you play it, in the same place?

Yes. With VLC on one computer and through Plex on another. Artifact might have been a wrong word—lines is better. They (the lines) appear for a few frames only and stretches the height of the frame to the very right. Maybe it's my hardware messing about.

MrBadcrumble said:
They (the lines) appear for a few frames only and stretches the height of the frame to the very right.

In fact,. you were right about it! I noticed it only after I've played it full screen on TV. A glitch with Premiere transitions... Fixed now.

Well, the edit is submitted and pending viewing I guess, so this won't be in it, and I wasn't aiming to fix this particular detail anyway,
but it was about 70 frames altogether so I went and tried out some rotoscoping just for the fun of it... OK, and to brag a bit. 
It's crude, just little over an hour of work.

pss - fanedit.org

^ What is different?

Well done!

TM2YC said:
^ What is different?

Before the area the blood squirted from was off. It was too low on the first shot and too high on the second. Looks like he switched them so now the shots line up perfectly.

thecuddlyninja said:
Well done!

TM2YC said:
^ What is different?

Before the area the blood squirted from was off. It was too low on the first shot and too high on the second. Looks like he switched them so now the shots line up perfectly.

Actually, something easier - rotoed Warren's hands, then bent right one up a bit and left one down a bit so they align with the squibs :)
It amuses me how it looks now like the right hand gun had more recoil than longer barrel one and the fact that left gun supposed to
shoot a bit lower makes rotoed movement like more natural recoil.

I watched your clip yesterday on my phone and didn't comment because I thought it looked super fake and didn't entirely understand what I was seeing. Turns out, after viewing on desktop and understanding what you did, it's the film's squib and squirt effect I thought was super fake looking, your rotoscope work is actually nicely effective. Lol.

This has been submitted to the Academy for review. Please be patient as their is backlog, we'll get to previewing it as soon as possible. Thread moved. Thanks.

'The Hateful Eight: the "When you have to shoot, don't talk"' by @"Plissken1138" is approved (I watched the 720p 6.5GB mkv). This was definitely one of the most straight-out-of-the-gate polished first-time fanedits I've previewed. There isn't a frame, or a piece of audio out of place anywhere. Great job.

14514010924_d2f40d31b9_o.jpg

There was only one minor nitpick that I pointed out already via PM. The FE.org titlecard is vertically squashed at the start and finish, instead of being cropped down to the panavision aspect-ratio (Not a massive problem). e.g.

31156309402_fe4b4902f2_o.jpg

I appreciated the way this edit has been shawn of the usual Tarantino cliques, that he really doesn't need to keep doing. His films will always be great with, or without them. So now things occur chronologically, titlecards are removed and the few pop/rock songs are gone. Opening with the flashback works very well, especially for 2nd-time viewers. It breaks up the cabin material a little and injects a bit of extra tension into everything IMO. There is still a surprising ammount of mystery and suspense this way, as the new opening doesn't give everything away. With the big overt pop numbers gone, Morricone's score shines a lot brighter than it did before.

The tweaked opening credits are seamless and professional looking and the decision to play the closing credits over the final shot is inspired. It's amazing that 46 minutes have been cut because this still feels like I watched pretty much everything I saw at the cinema. So if you are one of the people who found this movie too long and slow, then this is the fanfix for you. I look forward to future edits from @"Plissken1138" if they are going to be up to this standard.

Thread moved.

Thanks for the review @TM2YC. ! And thanks to other thread participants for the input.

The dlc's are sent, so until the thing goes thru pm me for details.
Right now it's 720p and barebone BD25, but I might do a second edition with commentary and whatnot somewhere down the line...

tRnDlN7.jpg

Thanks for doing this edit this is by far best edit.nomore boring commentary just lots of action and story.we don't need any stupid commentary by the director.great edit well done.on with your nxt project

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention in my comments that the regrading is wonderful. It looks like this film should have looked.

QT claimed it wasn't digitally graded but it clearly was by the distinctive tinting and the people who did the digital-grading are listed in the movie's credits. I'm not sure if QT meant just the "roadshow" version but I couldn't understand why the same look wasn't used for the DLP and home video versions?

Whatever the truth might be, this fanedit looks like a proper movie. Great job.

EDIT: I looked it up on ifdb...

The filmmakers also avoided any use of a digital intermediate; the 70mm release was color-timed photochemically by FotoKem, and the dailies were screened in 70mm. The wide digital release and a handful of 35mm prints were struck from a digital intermediate, done by Yvan Lucas at Shed/Santa Monica.

I hope there is a fan preservation of the 70mm release one day because I'd love to see those colours. It seems like QT didn't give a sh*t what the other versions looked like, even though he must have known that was how 99.9% of us would watch it. But like I say, this fanedit at least feels like a natural look.

^That's great to hear. Now I really gotta check this out. QT is such a film snob (literally) that I could very much see him only caring about the color "purity" for the roadshow version. Digital grades tend not to bother me much but seeing it closer to the way the artist himself actually wanted is important to me.

For the record, I saw the film in 70mm and it was heavily graded (and beautiful, in my opinion). Have yet to watch the Blu-ray but the colors in the trailers seem to match, same blue cast and all (without the same depth, obviously). I'd be surprised if there was any additional grading done digitally, it was most likely all done photochemically as they've said. It's a rare thing nowadays but there are still some holdouts (QT obviously, Nolan, PTA, etc.).

DominicCobb said:
For the record, I saw the film in 70mm and it was heavily graded (and beautiful, in my opinion). Have yet to watch the Blu-ray but the colors in the trailers seem to match, same blue cast and all (without the same depth, obviously). I'd be surprised if there was any additional grading done digitally, it was most likely all done photochemically as they've said. It's a rare thing nowadays but there are still some holdouts (QT obviously, Nolan, PTA, etc.).

I was thinking the same thing. I have only seen the 70mm Roadshow version. I wasn't wild about the colors in the theatrical, as I was expecting a much more natural look, but still, this is far better than the majority of films these days and the 70mm did look great.

I didn't love this movie. It was mostly good, but I didn't enjoy it as much as some of his previous releases. I'm definitely going to check this fanedit out :)

Personally I appreciated the dark blue look, which I thought gave the film a serious sense of dread. To each his own, however, and I am still quite looking forward to checking this edit out (even though I was quite happy with the film in general).

Back
Top Bottom