• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Golden Child - The Unchosen One Edition

robulon

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Golden Child was Eddie Murphy’s next project after the mega success of Beverly Hills Cop.

It hardly set the world on fire.

Originally written as a wise-cracking Raymond Chandler detective yarn with supernatural elements; the tone shifted once Murphy was cast in the central role. Out went the sardonic quips from the script and in their place Murphy attempted to ad-lib new jokes throughout most scenes. But the spark wasn’t there the same way it had been for Axel Foley. Possibly it was the PG-13 rating holding back his trademark crude humour or the mix of genres not gelling properly. But either way, test audiences were not kind to it.

Their consensus was that at 2 hours the film was too long and slow. And it was decided the orchestral score by John Barry was not helping with the pacing. So with only a couple of weeks to go before its release the choice was made to cut 30 minutes out of the runtime and replace the music. Michel Colombier was brought in to hastily deliver a contemporary synth soundtrack and the rest is history. The reviews at the time were mixed and despite being one of the top 10 earners that year, it hasn't had the same staying power in the public consciousness as Murphy's other 80’s hits.

And that is usually where these stories would end. Another abandoned score lost to time. That was until La-La Land Records released a 3 disc set containing the entirety of John Barry’s discarded work. All it took was for me to listen to his version of the opening sequence while the film played on mute to know what I had to do...

Fanedit Goals:
1) Replace Michel Colombier’s score with John Barry’s rejected cues.
2) Trim comedy bits that really don’t land or go on too long. Assuming it can be done without compromising the flow of the music.

As the deleted 30 minutes of footage have never been released I’ll be working with the theatrical version of the film. So I’ve roughly 2 hours of score to put into a 90 minute film without it being all music, all of the time! A couple of Barry’s cues did make it into the theatrical release so those will be kept as is.

Example Sequences:

"The Child Is Taken"

"Underground Passage"

A new scene to check out below. Impressive VFX for a 80's movie!
Along with a full cutlist:

- Track 1M1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9 used for the opening sequence. Trimmed to fit the action on screen. 90% of the SFX replaced.
- Opening title sequence montage cut. Animated title logo from trailer used in its place.
- First half of talk show scene reframed to remove the title cards playing over the bottom of the screen.- Trimmed a couple of Chandler’s random grins and jokes during basketball court scene with Kee.
- Track 2M1 used in the crime scene house.
- Track 2M1R used as Chandler investigates. All SFX replaced.
- Track 2M4 used as diegetic music in the diner scene.
- Cut "some part of the galaxy" line from the end of the diner scene.
- Track 3M1-2-3-4 used as Kee and Chandler are walking outside in Chinatown and into the nighttime scene.
- Cut “Does that happen a lot where you’re from?” line at the end of the dragon rape conversation.
- Cut Chandler exaggerated mugging for the camera before he walks away from Kee’s car.
- Track 3M7-4M0 used for the warehouse and astral project scenes. Most SFX replaced.
- Cut “floating” line as Chandler talks to the bird.
- Track 4M2 used as Kee and Chandler tail the bikers.
- Trimmed some of Chandler's mansplaining to Kee about staying in the car.
- Cut close up of Chandler poorly attempting to get out of his bonds and slowed down shot of a biker waiting to ambush Kee to bridge the gap.
- Reorganized the section with the biker crashing through the wall to make the action clearer.
- Trimmed more mansplaining from Chandler after the fight.
- Track 5M2 used as biker tells Chandler they sold Cheryl.
- Track 5M3 used for Tommy Tong restaurant fight and pursuit. All fight SFX replaced.
- Cut Kee running into the room just to stop and turn around to begin backflipping. Now she just appears mid-flip.
- Cut second line about Tommy getting scared and killing himself. The first line about bleeding to death after cutting himself shaving is fine by itself.
- Cut scene where Sardo tells the child that Chandler will be too late in finding him. It added little and created a continuity error with Sardo’s clothing.
- Track 5M4-6M0 used as Sardo talks to The Thing. Extra SFX added.
- Tail end of Track 6M1 (Chandler's Dream) used for Kee’s appearance and the fight at the end of the dream sequence. The theatrical version used John Barry’s original composition but just replaced the ending. So this is the only part I’ve changed.
- Cut several shots of Kee screaming as well as the slower parts of Til slashing his machete to increase the intensity of the attack.
- Cut the yak lion scene.
- Track 7M2 used as Kee and Chandler spend the night together.
- Cut Chandler going on about the bed at the end of the morning after scene. Now it ends on him saying if it’s cold in Tibet they have to come back.
- Track 7M3Ar-C used during plane scene and the child being loaded into the back of the truck.
- Track 7M4-8M0-1 used for entire Kathmandu market scene. All crowd SFX replaced.
- Random guy who stops Chandler to talk to him in a foreign language cut.
- Cut beggar's monkey breath insult line.
- All SFX during the mountain trekking scenes replaced.
- Track 8M2 used during the underground passage scene.
- Track 9M1 used during the Bottomless Pit sequence. All of the SFX replaced.
- Cut the airport scene before the extended Viva Nepal bit that Chandler goes off on. Now it ends on the guard with the funniest face.
- Track 7M1 used when Chandler kisses Sardo at the airport.
- Track 10M2-3 used at the safehouse. A shot of guards outside moved around to help with the timing of the music.
- Track 10M4 used during safehouse attack and subsequent fight. Heavily edited to fit the onscreen timing. Large majority of fight SFX replaced.
- Track 11M1 used as Til teases the child with the butterflies and Chandler finds the house. SFX replacement to car, bird and footstep sounds.
- Track 11M2-A-B-C-D-E-F (The Final Act) is a 10m25s piece that covers everything from Yu’s crossbow ambush right up to Kee’s resurrection. Given that it’s only 7m of screen time in the final film there was a lot of chopping the music to make it fit. Additional SFX work throughout.
- Froze the close up shot of Kee lying dead when Chandler and the child arrive as it was obvious the actress was breathing. Replicated grain field to make it look less static.
- Track 12M1 used during the last scene in the field.
- Cut Chandler's line about people in Nepal having a game show called Food Search.
- Track The Best Man in the World sung by Ann Wilson used for the first half of the end credits. This song was written by Barry and similar to his work on the James Bond franchise, the instrumental is used throughout the score as Chandler’s theme. It was originally featured during the cut opening title montage. So has been moved here to preserve it in this version.
- Title cards removed from the opening have been recreated here.
- Track 7M2 used for the second half of the end credits.

I remember enjoying The Golden Child as a kid, but haven't seen it in my many adult years. This might be an excuse to check it out again.

This could have been great. Who in their right mind would have cast Eddie Murphy in the major role? He's funny but not nearly as funny as he thinks he is. Loved him as a kid. Can't stand him now. Good luck! Can you replace him with...well anyone, really.

You've done a really good job with this, It must have been hard with so much music to restrain yourself from overdoing it.

I do have a nitpick:
- Track 2M1 used in the crime scene house.
- Track 2M1R used as Chandler investigates.
The score here I felt was slightly too loud here, otherwise unless you know it tends to blend perfectly.

Thank you so much @Dantango! Really pleased to hear you liked it.

I am particular fond of how 2M1R happened to sync up with the on screen movements when I laid it in. So I could certainly be guilty of over-egged the music a bit! But I'm glad it didn't hamper your enjoyment of the edit as a whole. Appreciate you taking the time to leave the feedback.

Many thanks to @Shodanbot for the review! I really do appreciate it.

Despite being my second edit posted on this site, this was my very first completed one. Started way back in the lockdown of 2020! I got it as good as I could back then. But there were things I still wasn't happy about. As a couple of people have mentioned, the music is generally too loud. That was my attempt to mask the remnants of the old soundtrack that I just couldn't fully remove. Thankfully AI vocal isolation has come on leaps and bounds in the past couple of years. So when @Shodanbot's review dropped I figured it might be an opportunity to dust off the old project files and see what can be done to improve things in 2023.

I've taken another pass at cleaning up and improving the Dialogue and SFX tracks. This has allowed me to lower the Music volume to a more pleasing level throughout. And since I was messing about in there anyway I've prepared a second audio track for the MKV - an isolated John Barry score. It has all the music used in the edit but undipped so you can hear it at a constant level rather than bouncing up and down. If you really can't stand Eddie Murphy's adlibs now you can silence him completely and just enjoy the music with the visuals :D

The Golden Child - Unchosen One "Special Edition" is available now for anyone who wants to check it out!

Back
Top Bottom