• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The future of FEs: HD-DVD or Blu-Ray... Do you own either?

Which HD format would you prefer to see used in fanedits/preservations?

• Blu-Ray (BD9)

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • HD-DVD (HD-DVD9)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Single layer DVD-ROM with x264 video in an .mkv format

• None! It's too soon to tell.

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.

DoctorM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is only slightly off topic.
I've been considering doing a project in HD and was wondering what sort of demand there is, or what format would be preferred.

To be clear, I want to keep things inexpensive.
As such it would be BD9 or HD-DVD9 (which if you missed the thread are true Blu-Ray/HD-DVD authored discs but burned to a standard DVD-9).
Standalone players can handle these discs, they're much cheaper to burn, and of course you can play them on a PC with a standard DVD drive (you'll need a software player of course).

(Btw, I did leave VMD off as an option... but I'm sure no one will care. :) )

I think we need to start considering HD.
The Matrix films are out in HD, we can all start editing them again. ;)

I went with the dvd5 x264 or dvd9 x264 would work as well.

I think it is good way to get our feet wet in the world of HD, both midlevel and highend can handle them. Plus the quality is still pretty good.

If i was made to choose between bd and hddvd i would want bd, personally i see more use for bd in MY future

I know absolutely nothing about how to edit in HD or author a HD-DVD or BD. I understand ripping is also not possible yet.

Who here understands the format enough to give a primer?

once I have my quadcore PC I might get into this. But still I think I will stick to DVD all the way. It looks good, it's cheap, it's easy and everyone has the possibility to watch it. Uplaoding and downloading is nice.

i have seen bruray and hd ripping utils, but the dmr is a bastard, i say dvd

I would say too soon

but I'm not sure i understand the question:
Are you asking in regard of BlueRay burners / HD-VD burners coming to the market sometime n the futur or am I missing something? ..

No, I'm referring to standard dual layer DVDs burned with HD-DVD or BluRay authored data.

The can be played back on standard DVD-ROM drives or on stand-alone HD-DVD/BluRay players.

The advantage over DVD-ROM with x264 material is that they'll have stand-alone compatibility. The problem is you'd have to pick a format (or use 2 different ones).

I think I might do some reasearch into the actual authoring. I'm curious of x264/ac3 .mkv files can be demuxed and authored into BD/HDDVD without any re-encoding or serious changes.

That would make the last choice the best for compatibility and the ability to upgrade the disc in the future with a few minutes on authoring software.

could the hd/bd files that are burned onto a regular dl disc be played on a regular stand alone dvd player?

if so, i could see going for that.

As it is, i'm going to be buying dvd's for as long as they make them, the minute they release a movie on only hd or bd, then i'll buy a player, and maybe a burner, i mean how much better is hostel 2 gonna look on hd vs regualr dvd?

My guess is that the nearest stopgap would be the H.264 format as it's easily compatible with multiple players, Quicktime, mediaplayer classic etc.. and it works on my Xbox 360 without me having to do a thing.

Fairly easy to use as well (allegedly). I found a guide to doing so here.

Although I devoted about 2 hours to it and couldn't get it to work properly, (the sound and video wouldn't mesh into one file) but I'm sure it can be accomplished easily enough. There is also full instructions there for converting pretty much any video files to H.264 as well as full dvds.

For me the whole Blu-Ray/HD-dvd debacle is something that is going to probably die on its ass before it ever reaches the level of current DVD usage. There's too much competition from downloadable tv and digital.

Plus one or other of them is going to fail utterly and a whole load of people will be annoyed by that.

Only if edits were released on DVD alongside their HD counterparts...

No these discs would play on HD-DVD or BluRay stand-alone players.
You would also be able to play them on a PC with a standard DVD drive.

Stand-alone DVD players have no ability to handle HD content (even upscaling ones).

Is the Xbox mp4 only for x264 content? Mkv is really the preferred container.

I can't say I even have an HDTV yet (I know - but I love the proper colors & contrast & lack of glare issues my CRTs give me, whether as TVs or monitors) but I can say that the more open HD-DVD format is far more likely to be fan edit friendly down the road than Blu-Ray is.

That alone will probably be the deciding factor.

Of the newer formats if you don't need flat, probably the best picture will come from a rear-projection unit. They're making the blacks and all much better with each successive year.

That said, I love CRTs as well. My PC still uses one, and they'll pry it from my cold dead hands.
Up until this year Toshiba made fine 16x9 1080p televisions up into the 40" range. HDCP support and everything... now they're gone from their website. :(
I'm sure some other companies still make something similar but it probably wouldn't be nearly as good.

I think I might do some reasearch into the actual authoring. I'm curious if x264/ac3/.mkv files can be demuxed and authored into BD/HDDVD without any re-encoding or serious changes.
(Don't you love quoting yourself?)

I loved this idea. It would make the most people happy and give the ability to upgrade to standalone compatibility in the future without having to re-do the project.

BUT, information is sparse.
Anyone know what specs are needed for BD/HDDVD authoring?
Is there a specific x264 profile needed compatibility?
Is this information even out there?
Hmmm, I had hoped more details would be floating around by now.

Honestly, it would be better to wait and see which format comes out on top in the inevitable war.

I'm pretty sure this format war is just a rehash of the DVD +/- R war.

It's relatively easy to make dual burners & players, as compared to the incompatible mechanisms of VHS/Beta.

But if there really is a format war, I read that BluRay forbids retail pr0n on it's discs... same thing Beta did... :)

DoctorM said:
BUT, information is sparse.
Anyone know what specs are needed for BD/HDDVD authoring?
Is there a specific x264 profile needed compatibility?
Is this information even out there?
Hmmm, I had hoped more details would be floating around by now.

I did a quick search on BD9 - I see what you mean - promising links that turn out to be white papers with nothing for real-world application. Forum topics that have nothing to do with it...

Other topics:

HD-DVD and BluRay are very rippable, as evidenced on the HD newsgroups. Not push-button simple, though.

DRM is an SOB with cable & sattelite. Yet ripping high-quality retail discs is easy-ish. Sigh. It's the broadcasts you want to record freely, and it's the discs & players you can boycott, and where they'd stand to lose something (if anything) from piracy... backwards...

Editing x264? Mixed signals. Haven't dug down and researched it.

I like the geek community's resistance to HD Players. Of course it's helped by the fact that the first wave of HD players are utter crap.

(I wish we'd resisted XP - could've snuffed authentication, before it spread).

Some companies will be (are?) putting movies on flipper discs - HD-DVD on one side, standard DVD on the other.

There's also a patent for BR + HDDVD flippers. Of course there's nothing more common than unused patents.

i know this isn't exactly on topic... but here it goes anyway.

Well... i think the format war isn't even much of a war yet..... when the top discs are only selling about 100,000 copies... and many of them are only selling in the 100's.... who cares? honestly

i personally just don't care that much for watching stuff in high-def. if i'm 10-15 feet away from a tv screen, the screen would have to be over 50 inches for me to even notice a difference, and even at that point, i wouldn't care. you'd have to get up to a 100 inch projector for it to really matter.

but i think your basic person just doesn't care... which is why neither format is really catching on. there just isn't that much of an advantage, like there was going from VHS to DVD. having more storage would be an advantage... but since everything is released in high def, that advantage is gone. i think the only way that either format could get people to care is to have 2 basic formats within their format.... i know that sounds confusing... but hold on. one is the normal high def format that they have now. the other would be a DVD quality format..... why? because then you could get far more on the disc. does anyone really care whether they are watching friends or seinfeld in high def or not? not really. would be much nicer to just have full seasons of tv shows on one or two discs, playing at normal dvd quality, and have movies in HD/BR format. i'd pay more to have a full season of a normal tv show on one disc than i would to have it in high def. obviously there are shows that could be exceptions... but still.... i think this strategy would be very helpful in getting people to move up to the new format, because your average person could really see a good reason to.

sorry for being off topic, but that's my thought's on the matter. when the formats were still a ways away, i was looking forward to being able to fit way more video onto a disc.... then i found out that EVERYTHING would be in high def only and i was dissappointed. oh well.

Well the extras aren't necessarily HD so they can fit more of those I suppose.
But I agree, you could put a lot of TV episodes on one blue laser disc... and yet we'll probably never see that happen.

I'm floored by how many people would rather skip HD than have some cool stuff now, even if they could only watch it on their PCs.

(I wish we'd resisted XP - could've snuffed authentication, before it spread).

Well 98SE was for a long time a bastion of hope, but ME forced a lot of users to migrate. 2000 is still going strong on a lot of computers - it finally lost game support though a year or two ago.

At least we're fighting Vista on all levels.

More on topic, does anybody find it odd that commercials for HD-DVD transfers like The Ultimate Matrix and what not are kicking @$$ as far as commercials go, while things like Pirates of the Caribbean (1 & 2 so far) on Blu-Ray have been getting the most painfully awkward commercials so far?

I just wish George Lucas would release the trilogy on HD-DVD within the next year or two. He could end the format war very quickly.

Back
Top Bottom