• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Descent Extended Edition

mikedrew87

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just finished up a Tales From Hell edit and started watching The Descent with the wife.  After the movie, for the first time, I checked out the special features.  I was curious to see what the deleted scenes were like and if they would've made the movie any better.  Well I watched them and thought to myself "Mhmmm, why not make an extended cut using these deleted scenes.....hehe" Then my wife said "are you talking to yourself?".  I looked at her and said "You better believe babe".  She rolled her eyes.  So I hopped on the computer and started ripping my bluray.  She fell asleep, but I was amped.  When that was all said and done, I inserted the videos into Vegas and I'll be trying to make an Extended cut of The Descent.  There were about 12 deleted scenes, which two are alternate endings, that I will add into this film and see how it looks.  The first thing I noticed were obviously the deleted scenes weren't up to par with the actual blu ray movie, so i'll have to mess around and figure it out.  Any suggestions would be welcomed.  Thanks,

Mike

Great movie, I'd be interested in this. I don't think I've looked at the deleted scenes in years but I remember the alternate ending. Maybe release it in 720p if the quality is rougher in the deleted scenes so it's not as jarring.

If the deleted scenes are noticeabley different you could  always render the scenes seperately and alter their color,brightness,hue before you add them to your project ,it usually makes them harder to spot where they have been inserted into the final project ,especially when trimming scenes that have unfinished shots in them.

I'll try rendering in several different ways, i'll definitely will try the 720p output.  And gazza, I'll try messing with the color as well.  I got everything in place I believe, so I'll get them rolling out tonight and see how it goes.  Figures crossed.  Thanks guys for the suggestions.  
Mike

whats up MikeDrew!!! man we missed you here! thanks for pm'ing me with those clips, this is going to be amazing! Maniac told me to tell you hey! pm me after while, was going to discuss some stuff with you about the edit and the ideas we talked about! Very much looking forward to this edit man! I have an amazing plan i think you will dig a lot for an edit man! i think we turn this 80's edit, from an 80's rolling to present day, we just need to discuss it off the board, but you will dig it! so glad to see this edit is finally taking shape!

Since this is in-the-works, thread moved to In-The-Works.  :p

"Extended Editions" is for completed projects.

Scrapesky thanks man! Good to be back.  I'll send ya a PM here soon and we shall see what's on your mind....discuss 80s greatness. 

Thanks Frink, I'm a little rusty.

Just finished up this edit last night.  Will be posting to the site later today or tomorrow.  I just wanted to add the deleted scenes to the movie for a full version of the film.  Kept the original UK ending though.  All the deleted scenes were inserted in their correct place and the quality seems pretty good.  Thanks,
Mike

hey whats up MikeDrew! So glad your back on scene here man! Always loved your edits! I cant wait to watch this edit, "The Descent" part 1 is so brutal, not just the creatures, but the whole cave spelunking, falling down cave shafts, just other things that make you cringe. It even gives the whole primal instinct of survival between people for survival, i could keep going, but its a great film. I have only watched The Descent 2 once, i really dont remember a whole lot about it. Needless to say, i am really stoked to see your edit when its available! Like the Demons edit you made we talked about,a year or so ago, you didn't let me down at all at all man! oh and the pm, i have a few ideas i think you will like, you said you had a pretty big horror collection for making your edits. I'm pretty sure you will have these. Do you need me to maybe work on a cover art for your Descent edit?

Could always call it an extended workprint if you can't improve the footage.

I'm a little confused because weren't some of the psychological scenes remove dfrom the US cut, I know over here it ended with the birthday cake scene, but I remember watching an edit years ago that ended with the MC escaping as the ending, not the fantasy.

The original ending had her escaping in the SUV, pulling over and vomiting.  Then she looks over and sees a ghost Juno and screams.  Then it goes back to the cave, she hallucinated the whole thing.  No happy ending.  Of Course the greedy US distributors and producers changed that with her escaping so they can make a sequel.  The Original UK ending is so much better.  I stuck with that ending as it was the most complete.

Threads merged. This edit is now on ifdb.

Back
Top Bottom