• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

"The Beacon" - A Sopranos Coma-Only Edit

JasonFlippy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Hi guys!

I've only been here about 40 days but I already love the place and it inspired me to cut together a quick 25-min "one-off tv episode" about a man in a coma and the world he experiences while he's unconscious. Season 6 of The Sopranos, to me, tells the story of a man struggling with the weight of his life even as his life slips away from him, and how he desperately wants to let go of the burden but can't bear to.

Overall I think it works very well as a standalone story, and I did a little bit of bookending to make sure it wasn't too vague. It's a fun quick little edit and it's my first one. It took me about 10-12 hours to get it all smoothed out, mostly because I was learning the Premiere Pro program as I went, but now I'm hyped to make some more!

It uses Season 6, Episodes 2 and 3, and It's basically done. I don't notice any glaring editing issues or anything, but I'm curious how it will go off!

Brief Synopsis Cue Rod Serling voice: "Tony Soprano is a man lost in a world of his own making, trapped in the one place he can't escape: his mind. Is a man more than his name? Can he make his own path even as the path is forced before him? Only so much can be done when the world pulls you to your seemingly-inevitable destiny... in The Sopranos."

This is a coma-only edit of two episodes from Season 6 of the Sopranos, telling the story of a salesman who can't seem to find his way back to the world he came from.

Change List: Original runtime 111 Minutes
Created a hospital opening using scenes from non-coma moments to bookend the episode.
Deleted anything else that is not directly from Tony's coma dream.
Connected all scenes using overlap audio from the "real" world if necessary
Added new credits reflecting the edited cast and crew
Added an instrumental version of the Sopranos theme over the credits.

Sounds interesting! There re a ton of intriguing dream sequences in The Sopranos. Consider implementing any of those in your edit,, or do they stray too far from the narrative?

Sounds interesting! There re a ton of intriguing dream sequences in The Sopranos. Consider implementing any of those in your edit,, or do they stray too far from the narrative?
I would actually love that but I feel like his other dream sequences are so surreal it would be tough! I don't know if you're a Sopranos oficionado but I'm open to suggestions!

I would actually love that but I feel like his other dream sequences are so surreal it would be tough! I don't know if you're a Sopranos oficionado but I'm open to suggestions!
Hmmn with how surreal they are - there are moments where Kevin's life intercuts with Tony's at the hospital, right? Maybe they could serve as transitions there, unless they're unnecessary.

It's always promising when you read about an edit and your first reaction is being pissed that you didn't think of it first. Can't wait to see it.

This is a great edit, review left at IFDB, but it looks like the listing disappeared from the site.

I saw that! I think I messed it up somehow but I messaged ArtisDead so hopefully they can get it fixed.

Thank you for the review :) I'm glad you liked it! It was a good piece for my first attempt.

I'll be submitting my Knock at the Cabin tonight for Halloween, and I feel like I already learned a lot.

I'm new here and don't seem to have thread-posting privileges yet. I'm going to be announcing some Sopranos material soon, thought I'd make a first test-post here to say hi.

Back
Top Bottom