• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Batman (2021)

I’m not sure how you guys have any opinion. I can’t see shit! And I’m someone who didn’t find Solo too dark.

CFGyNff.jpg

Surprised to see a mixed reaction to the trailer here. I personally loved it and am really excited to see it!

Masirimso17 said:
Surprised to see a mixed reaction to the trailer here. I personally loved it and am really excited to see it!

For me at least, it's difficult to be super exited by another dark and moody take on Batman, when we're apparently not even finished with the last one (not to mention TV shows). If this exact same trailer dropped a year after 1997's embarrassing 'Batman & robin' I'd be absolutely losing my proverbial sh*t right now, or if they were going with some mad new Adam West style reboot I'd be very intrigued (and worried) but it's a "meh". I hope it's good and considering the talent involved it probably will be but I'm not feeling hyped.

Regardless of if you buy scrawny, shiny Rob Pattinson as a guy capable of kicking asses, the essential plot of the film looks like a remix of a remix.  Another Catwoman?  Another Riddler, but acting like Joker?  Another bunch of costumed, inspired citizens? Etc, etc.  I like Matt Reeves style, but if you have an uninspired, derivative script, you can only dress it up so much.  Such a shame, Batman has the best rogue's gallery in existence.

How can you say this Riddler is anything at all like Joker? This is the least Joker-y Riddler interpretation I've seen in ages.

I really dig the dark Gothic mood they're going for and if everyone involved is being honest about this truly being a detective story, that's all I need to know to set this apart from Nolan or Snyder Bats.

Plus, Batman works best as a dark and broody character, I dunno what you all want from him that isn't "dark and broody" without including Robin or other Bat-family members (which I do hope this series leads to, I desperately want a proper representation of at least Robin in a film series, if not multiple Robins/Nightwing plus Batgirl).

EDIT: Just to clarify that I'm not full-on fanboying over this trailer - I am *not* a fan of the fact that we are apparently getting another "grounded in realism" take on Batman. I don't much like the muscle car Batmobile, I don't much like the armor plated Batsuit (though the cowl is great), and I don't much like the subway-station-looking Batcave. I really want a good live action Batman that can dive into the supernatural/sci-fi things like Lazarus pits, Poison Ivy, Hugo Strange making cloned mutant monsters, that kind of thing, and it seems like Reeves is once again going the Nolan route of "this could be our reality." But hopefully that's just initially and as the series progresses, more fantastical elements can be introduced.

^In the trailer, Riddler breaks into the homes of a Gotham elite, tries to expose the hypocrisy of the public's perception, and designs a challenge targeting Batman.  While as a comic fan there's nothing there particularly unfaithful to the character, as a screenwriter that is a whole lot of Dark Knight similarities to Joker for about 15 seconds of screen time.  I would've appreciated something more wildly different, or even better, a Batman rogue that we hadn't seen in a live action film and multiple animated films already.
Joker was a huge risk, love it or not.  I was hoping that this film would follow suit, but it seems they're pandering to their core audience instead.  Just my personal reaction.

I think you're really stretching to find Joker similarities, man.

Yeah, I don't see the Joker similarities at all.  He's more akin to the Zodiac Killer or John Doe than anything to do with the Joker, who's never been about exposing Gotham's corruption but simply causing anarchy and chaos. In the Dark Knight, Ledger's Joker was simply an anarchist, and was willing to kill anybody to achieve his goal.  Riddler appears much more like he's trying to expose something and setting traps for Batman to solve.

ChainsawAsh said:
I think you're really stretching to find Joker similarities, man.

I didn't go into the trailer looking for similarities, wasn't trying to "stretch" to fit some preconceived narrative.  If you don't see it, that's cool. 

Hymie, if you listen to Joker's speeches in TDK, he talks several times about how Gotham's upper crust citizens think they're so much better than everyone else, but when push comes to shove they'll turn into animals.  In particular, he wants to show that Harvey, supposedly a paragon of law and order, will turn into a vigilante killer with just a push.  And that Batman will, too.  He is all about exposing hypocrisy in that respect.  It's only one aspect of the story, as he's a complicated, fascinating character in that film in particular, but it's the aspect I was talking about.  This is also an aspect they seized on and tried to develop more in The Dark Knight Rises and Joker.

Yeah, that's a real bad sign for Hollywood attempting to start working again as a whole, let alone how it affects The Batman.

Here's hoping Pattinson has a swift recovery with no lingering after-effects, and the same goes for anyone else on the production that may have contracted the disease from him.

I'll try to keep an open mind on this movie, but considering that the Nolan Batman movies have already came out and I am more interested in seeing Affleck's Batman being continued, the movie really needs to do a lot to impress me. I've only seen Pattinson in a few things, with Tenet's sound mixing issues preventing me from being able to judge his performance more thoroughly in that, but I feel like he'd fit more as Nightwing or the Crow than Batman.

TM2YC said:
Masirimso17 said:

For me at least, it's difficult to be super exited by another dark and moody take on Batman, when we're apparently not even finished with the last one (not to mention TV shows). If this exact same trailer dropped a year after 1997's embarrassing 'Batman & robin' I'd be absolutely losing my proverbial sh*t right now, or if they were going with some mad new Adam West style reboot I'd be very intrigued (and worried) but it's a "meh". I hope it's good and considering the talent involved it probably will be but I'm not feeling hyped.

Pretty much why I don't really get the hype. I feel if this trailer was for the scrapped Darren Aronofsky movie that was going to have Joaquin Phoenix/Freddie Prince Jr. as Batman and that movie took Begins's place, I would've been interested.

Them doing an Adam West style movie would've been a refreshing direction, after having the Nolan movies and Ben Affleck's run.

Thoughts I had after watching. **SPOILERS**

I really wanted to love everything, and there was a ton to love. I’m not trying to be a hater. But these are my lingering thoughts after a few days:

1. Falcone just doesn’t seem menacing, Tutturo is awesome but just doesn’t come across as a strong villain (but after getting peed on by a transformer might have something to do with that)
  2. Riddler turning himself in felt like Bruce doesn’t earn the finish for his “detective” work (and very similar to TDK, along with Riddler video)
  3. Did Bruce really pack his whole Batman outfit in that tiny backpack?
  4. Loved the neck bomb that relates to real life, but as a plot device it felt weak after the SAW trap with the rats (that also felt underwhelming)
  5. Oz telling the guy to grab the cash then leaving him behind seemed like it must mean something, but I missed the meaning
  6. The car chase seemed like it was causing a ton of bystander crashes, and Oz’s crash seemed NASCAR level but he seemed fine? (And a fancy car like that had no airbags?)
  7. Oz doing the penguin waddle felt too on the nose too early. (I really wish they kept the scene with Batman visiting the Joker, then the world would have felt more established to pull this off, but instead while it is year 2, it feels very origin in nature for all main characters)
  8. Gordon is the comic relief? Not what I was expecting and not horrible, but jokes are catching me off guard in weird moments
  9. I’m sad that Thomas Wayne’s morality is used as a plot device, it seems natural for Bruce’s altruism to come from his father to relate to his heroic reaction to Thomas’s death.
  10. Bruce waited around for Alfred to wake up, just to tell him FU at the exact moment he wakes up? Seems like a really Dick move.
  11. I was worried about all the electrical during the flooding, glad he got one cable but there must be tons more
  12. So this chest thing… does it have a lock to keep it in place during fighting?
  13. Why did people hid under a cage and want to stay there during FLOODING?
  14. Did Batman just pummel the guys face after the injection and barely do any damage? Did I miss something? (Some have said he hit the floor next to the guy)

Thoughts I had after watching....

I largely agree. I'd add my following criticisms:

1. [*]You're telling me that Batman, who has contact lens cameras doesn't scan his mail?
    [*]Explosions should cause more damage. How did Batman's face not get burned?! How did Alfred survive a blast that blew a whole in a building?
    [*]Could the car chase have been filmed in a more frustrating way? I just wanted to see the chase.
    [*]The colour grade was insanely good but boy oh boy was it overly dark.
    [*]The something in the way cover felt very Zack Snyder. I like Zacks work but I over maudlin pop songs over superhero films.

Last edited:
Ah - the super advanced contact lens tech! Very deus ex machina for the plot when everything else Batman in this version is so grounded.

That and during the chase when the perfect jump ramp just magically appears. I chuckled a bit at that one.

Everybody just listing the negatives in here so I have to jump in with some positives :)
  • Cinematography. The selective focus was masterfully used, telling little stories within single shots. Example of the same technique failing in an epic fashion: Zack Snyder's Army of the Dead. Greig Fraser has really outdone himself on this one (after his great work on Rogue One and Dune).
  • Cool fight scenes with great choreography, shot in a way, where you can actually follow what is happening (Marvel can learn something here).
  • Neat little details like...
    [*]...the Batarang on his chest being forged out of the gun that killed his parents
    [*]...the dark make up around his eyes (which magically disappears with every other Batman when they take off the mask).
    [*]...Batman using a substance similar to Bane's Venom
    ...and probably a lot more Easter Eggs I missed
  • There's actually some comedy in this and unlike Justice League, it doesn't feel forced (Oz interrogation scene, Officer Martinez , Interactions with Gordon, etc.)
  • Bruce Wayne being the mask and Batman the real persona really hit home in this. He seems like a legit psychopath in a lot of scenes (like it should be after the trauma he experienced). Looking forward to see how the character develops in the next movie(s) and grows more into the Bruce Wayne role.
  • Colin Farell
  • Batman does actual Detective Work (and has a lot to learn, like it should be)
  • The new Batman Theme! Can't get it out of my head. Great work by Michael Giacchino on the whole score.
TB won't dethrone TDK for me but it sure is the best Graphic Novel type Batman movie IMO
Seeing as it is the first and there is more to come, I'm curious where they go from here...

Last edited:
[*]...the Batarang on his chest being forged out of the gun that killed his parents

Was this ever confirmed? Nothing I saw in the movie confirmed it, I assumed it was to "lock it in place" lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom