• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Terminator: the Sarah Connor Chronicles

beckmen said:
The time thing confused me, as well. I guess T2 takes place in 1997...it can't take place in 1991 because John would be 5 or 6 years old. But they never mention what year it is in T2 (but they do in T1, right?) so you tend to assume it's 1991.

One would have to assume that John Conner was born in the latter part of 1984. Both T1 and T2 had dialogue that stated that the first movie was set in 1984. So if Sarah was knocked in say January of 1984, she could have given birth to John in about November or December of that same year.

The T100 (Ahhnold) stated that Judgement day happens in 1997 and I'm not positive (but I think someone stated "3 years from now").

So I guess we'll have to accept the fact that 13 year old Edward Furlong was playing a 10 year old John Conner.

It's mostly accepted that T2 took place in 1995. That would mean that John in SCC is only 14-15 years old.

I was less than enthusiastic at the two part premiere. I think that John's characterization is way off the mark and that's nearly enough for me to stop watching altogether.

According to the computer that the T1000 accessed in the police car, John Connor was aged 10 during T2.

Yep. And Sarah gave birth to him in 1985. Hence, T2 takes place in 1995.

I can't see how SCC deserves all the praise that is being heaped on it. Since when was "Put your guns back in your holster" witty writing?

24 can't come soon enough.

ASX: They can throw T3 out the windows as far as they want. :)

You aren't kidding about the ratings:
Talk about "I'll be back." Fox's Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles on Sunday night premiered to 18.3 million total viewers and was broadcast television's highest-rated scripted series debut in three years among adults 18-49 and adults 18-34. (Among total viewers it was the highest in almost two years.) It was also Fox's highest-rated scripted series debut in over seven years among 18- to 49-year-olds (since Dark Angel, Oct. 2000) and in eight years in total viewers.

And since it's not in Fox's Friday Night Death Slot it should be around for a little bit.
(Off topic but from Wikipedia)
The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. (1993-1994), M.A.N.T.I.S. (1994-1995), Strange Luck (1995-1996), VR.5 (1995), Brimstone (1998-1999), Greed (1999-2000), Dark Angel (2000-2002), The Lone Gunmen (2001), Fastlane (2002-2003), Firefly (2002-2003), John Doe (2002-2003), Wanda at Large (2003), Playing It Straight (2004), Wonderfalls (2004)[5], Boston Public (2000-2004), Jonny Zero (2005), Killer Instinct (2005), The Bernie Mac Show (2001-2006), Malcolm in the Middle (2000-2006), Justice (2006), Standoff (2006-2007), Vanished (2006)[6] and The Wedding Bells (2007)[7] are all examples of FOX shows that started on Friday nights and lasted only a few episodes, or moved to Friday nights, lost the battle for television ratings, and were eventually cancelled. However, at least one Fox show that premiered on Friday Nights, The X-Files, became a success, especially after moving to Sunday nights in the fall of 1996 (ironically its initial Friday night companion in the fall of 1993 was The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.) The X-Files ran 6 years in its Sunday timeslot.

I knew the age thing would turn into a debate. I'm starting to think the TV series is basically hanging a light on the theatrical inconsistencies of John's age by having them time jump.

beckmen said:
The time thing confused me, as well. I guess T2 takes place in 1997...it can't take place in 1991 because John would be 5 or 6 years old. But they never mention what year it is in T2 (but they do in T1, right?) so you tend to assume it's 1991.

T2 takes place in 1994 or 1995. Most people say 1995, but there are reasons for both years.

- the Terminator was send from 2029. During a conversation to John, he says "you did, 35 years from now you re-programmed me to be your protector here in this time". So 2029 - 35 = 1994.
- Terminator to Sarah/John about Skynet "In three years Cyberdyne will become the largest supplier of military computer systems." If Judgment Day takes place on August 29th 1997, then 1997 - 3 = 1994.

- John was born in February 28 1985. If he plays a 10 years old kid, then the year is 1995.

So yeah, the serie already fucked (also in the leaked pilot) by saying it takes place 2 years after T2, and the current year is 1999.

beckmen said:
I think they jumped to 2007 to avoid anachronisms in the production. It does seem to be a pretty bad contrivance of sorts, and the whole thing with the bank and some engineer building a time machine from 1963 technology was pretty hard to believe. What is this, Back to the Future? :-/
The whole time-jump-forward was unbelievable. It completely removes the strength or Reese's words:
Silberman: "Well, how are you supposed to get back?"
Reese: "I can't. Nobody goes home. Nobody else comes through. It's just him and me. "
Seems there was always a way back for the machines....

I must say, I haven't seen the tv aired episode 1 and 2 yet, but the pilot had so good and some bad moments.

T-HOPE said:
The whole time-jump-forward was unbelievable. It completely removes the strength or Reese's words:
Silberman: "Well, how are you supposed to get back?"
Reese: "I can't. Nobody goes home. Nobody else comes through. It's just him and me. "
Seems there was always a way back for the machines....

I must say, I haven't seen the tv aired episode 1 and 2 yet, but the pilot had so good and some bad moments.

Well someone must have fixed the time machine in 2029 otherwise how did Robert Partrick and Ahnold 2 go back in time durring T2?

Speaking of Silberman, I wonder if he'll ever show up in the series.

In the original script, this was explained away during the future war scenes.

One interesting theory about the Terminator timeline is that each successive movie/spinoff effectively creates it's own new timeline, complete with the new added goodies. So, there are 5 parallel timelines in the series that has. Pre-T1, T1, T2, T3, and SCC. It's the only way any of this time travel stuff actually works.

ASX said:
Well someone must have fixed the time machine in 2029 otherwise how did Robert Partrick and Ahnold 2 go back in time durring T2?

Speaking of Silberman, I wonder if he'll ever show up in the series.
Not really. The T-800 and T-1000 were send at the same moment... July 11th 2029, shortly after each other. First the T-800, then the T-1000.

The resistance then defeated SKYNET and found the Time Displacement Equipment. They send back Reese, then the protecting T-800. John didn't say anything to Reese about the second Terminator.

You can read the omitted script at
http://www.hopeofthefuture.net/cuttingf ... mit04.html

Ofcourse there is always the question how did SKYNET manage to send back the T-1000 if "nothing dead will go." Some say that the T-1000 can mimick human appearance that good, that it fooled the Time Displacement Equipment into thinking it was real skin. Some fans think that it was send is a back of flash (since we never saw the T-1000 arrive). There are various theories (I'm not even talking about T3 here).

Kind of makes you wonder...was the T-800 sent back to 1984 Skynet's 'plan B'? Doesn't make sense to send him, then decide to send another right after. But they might have in fact sent the T-1000 first, and then sent the T-800 in the event that the T-1000 fails it's mission. Further insurance of mission completion.

Why did they recast Dyson? Joe Morton isn't some kind of un-attainable super-star. He is probably actually less popular now then he was when he guest-starred in the X-Files. It would have been cool to have his photo in the show and have him show up later. Of course, I am just assuming he will show up later since they DID recast him, as it's the most logical reason I can think of for not using a photo or Morton, right?

If they are trying to avoid using any actors that we saw in the movies to avoid a mix and match of returning actors and re-casts...then I guess we won't see Earl Boen at any point, either.

By the way guys, is the show widescreen in the US? Here in Canada, it's fullscreen only...well, on the channels available in my area.

I saw the widescreen (In US). I really liked this episode. I had pretty low expectations going into the viewing, but was pleasantly surprised. I will be following this show.

Does anyone have any high-res copies of the posters for this?

The show is broadcast in 16x9 in HD-only in the US. Fox has a bad habit of airing stuff in 4x3 in SD. Which sucks because my DVR has some kind of problem with Fox's local HD channel of Fox and it either records in 5 or 6 chunks (losing 30 or so seconds when it stops and then starts again) or not at all.

Sarah Connor Chronicles (10.07 mil) shed 45 percent of its Sunday premiere audience, and in its first half-hour placed fourth (behind Deal and Dance War). But come 9:30, TSCC was No. 2, beating Rules and a new Underbelly.

DoctorM said:
Sarah Connor Chronicles (10.07 mil) shed 45 percent of its Sunday premiere audience, and in its first half-hour placed fourth (behind Deal and Dance War). But come 9:30, TSCC was No. 2, beating Rules and a new Underbelly.
Do you have a source of that info? :)

OK, so the second episode was a massive improvement. I actually like the show now. It was like it was written by somebody else, somebody who knew what they were doing. A few lame one-liners, but mostly it was solid. Another cool thing, (SPOILER):is they actually reference Terminator 3. Sarah actually brings up my complaint, of why they just didn't stay in 1999 so they'd have more time...Cameron tells her that she wouldn't have more time because she dies...and later we learn it is cancer that killed her. It adds an interesting dimension to the show. Cameron is also suddenly a more interesting character. From a funny scene where she imitates a wannabe gang-banger, to (SPOILER)a nice surprise when she executes a man because he might have been lying. This episode made me reverse my opinion of the show, I hope it's indicative of what's to come. Should be, since the pilot was probably shot way before the second episode, before the writers had their shit together, so that could be why it was so unwieldy.

Back
Top Bottom