• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Surround sound - on Mac

LieutenantDan

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi all,

Wondering if there are any Mac editors out there who create fan edits with 5.1 audio.

I'm wondering:

a) does your NLE export to 5.1 for you? If so, what NLE do you use?
b) if not, what software do you use to create your 5.1 mix once you've finished editing? I.e. is there a magic piece of software for Mac that lets you create a 5.1 file from a stereo file providing the 5.1 sub carrier is there?

Cheers

Dan

Last edited:
I use Final Cut Pro X on Mac, which handles 5.1 audio (though I don't have a 5.1 speaker setup myself for testing, I just have stereo speakers).

In the editing project, a stereo source file will by default be playing on the FL and FR channels (with the others silent), but it's a basic function to switch the audio properties of the source file to whatever 5.1 spread you like. You can choose presets or manually tinker with the virtual layout of the sound.

Thanks Varsity. I've recently adopted Da Vinci Resolve which looks to have a similar function. Just a bit beyond me at this point!

Back
Top Bottom