• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Surround panning when camera is off axis...

futon88

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If I have a high aerial shot, camera looking down, should I continue to position sounds in relation to the camera (viewer)? In other words, would all SFX necessarily be panned to the front? I have a compulsion to switch to cardinal positioning with this shot (top = front, bottom = behind), essentially placing the sounds in relation to a camera on the ground, but that can't be right, right?

Hey! I'm sure you must have figured it out by now, and if so, let me know what conclusion you came to. I asked myself a similar question last fall and then noticed what could be an element of the answer.
I think one way to do this is to position audio in regards to the frame itself.
I can't remember what movie it was exactly, but I noticed that a ringing phone was positioned behind the character and this character was facing away from the camera (with the phone being at the foreground). My intuition would have been to place the ringing sound in the back speakers (because the phone is behind the person who ears it), but I could only hear it in the front speakers.
I think the reasoning could be: since the phone was in front of the viewer (me), the sound should also be in the front speakers.

For your example, following what I've described, I would put the sfx in the front speakers if the sound is generated by something on the ground (since your camera is pointing towards the ground).
Then if we were to hear an airplane, for example, without seeing it, I would assume that it is higher than the camera, and therefore behind it. So then I would place the airplane sound in the back speakers.

My ultimate instinct though would be that this is not only a technical manipulation but also artistical. maybe my observation was good for one movie, but another one would have mixed the audio differently. Similar to a director using a subjective shot (using the camera like it is the eyes of the character), when another director would use a shot showing the character instead.

Does that make sense?

Sounds should be in relation to the view. if a thing happens to the left of the view, then the sound should come from there. The only times when it would make sense to have the audio coming from a different frame of reference is if you specifically demonstrate a spit of the senses, like if you want to demonstrate a character doing astral projection or something.
Consider the POV. is the camera doing a character's POV or is it just a normal camera acting as a third person.
There need to be intentionality in what you do so if the audio doesn't come from an expected position relative to the view, there needs to be a reason and that needs to be communicated.

Back
Top Bottom