- Reaction score
- Trophy Points
Another edit that has been done before but not quite the way I have it. It's Richard Donner's two Superman films combined into one four hour epic. This is NOT an extended cut. I've been sitting on this for at least two years now. All edits have been made to improve the pacing and quality of the film, NOT to make it as long as possible. This is for the Donner fans (Lester fans will get their version. see below). Unfortunately when the Donner cut came out back in 2006 they made a big mistake because the goal was to give us a Superman II with as much Donner footage as possible rather than utilizing ALL THE FOOTAGE THEY HAD to give us the best Superman II possible. I'm simply trying to fix that. When you watch this I want you to feel like WBD released a brand new 4 hour Blu ray of Superman without any new fancy VFX or anything but just a straight simple re-edit utilizing all footage possible to drastically improve the viewing experience. I almost want to call it THE SIMPLE MAN'S CUT.
Base films are:
- Superman The Movie 2000 Directors cut
- Superman II The Richard Donner cut
- The Donner directors cuts of both films were used to keep the movie consistent in tone with both the cinematography and John Williams score.
- Minimal changes have been made to Superman The Movie as it's already a classic and Donner finished it.
- Superman 78 is a hybrid of the theatrical cut, directors cut and 3 hour cut. 99% of the changes come before we get to Metropolis. Only a few minutes added but I thought they really helped add to the mystery and thriller elements of the film.
- Zero Donner/Lester Superman II deleted scenes as I wanted to keep the visual quality consistent
- Obviously scenes from Superman II (1980 Lester) are included where appropriate
- "General would you care to step outside" is restored
- Superman reverses the earth in part 1 ONLY
- Ursa Iconic arm wrestling scene is restored but edited to remove as much silliness as possible.
- Donner's toilet humor trimmed as much as possible
- Overall tone of the epic is a continuation of the changes made in the Donner cut of SII. I love S2 DC so I continued with the trimming of silliness and tried to keep everything more serious where possible.
- Most of the major editing is in the middle of Superman II (small town Houston stuff/depowering etc like most of these edits)
- a little more Lana Lang
- More Lois Lane
- More Christopher Reeve
- More Marlon Brando
- More Ursa
- Less EXTRAS with pointless lines/scenes
- 100% of the footage is taken from officially released versions of Superman 78 or Superman II. Nothing from Superman III or Superman IV. This is a straight up FANFIX.
- No intermission, I see no need.
- 4 hour film on the money. That's just how it worked out. 4 hours 8 minutes with credits.
- NEW take on the endings to both S78 and SII that I haven't seen anywhere before. Not drastic changes but little tweaks that make all the difference imo.
- 90% Donner footage. 10% Lester footage.
There will be at BARE MINIMUM three versions of this movie. Here they are:
- Superman Epic (listed above. Imagine Donner was never fired and returned to work on Superman II). This is the most entertaining version imo.
- Superman Epic as originally intended (This is the version most fans make. Supes reverses the earth at the end of the 4 hours, screen test included etc. This version has the best STORY for obvious reasons)
- Superman Epic Alternate cut (This is the Lester version, Paris, Niagra falls jump, hand in fire etc.)
All three versions are valid and necessary in my opinion. All three versions will eventually come with an EXTENDED CUT (making a total of 6 versions) but I'm not too concerned with that right now. No disrespect to any editors, especially my fellow superman brothers but I honestly think fans usually make a mistake with editing these specific Christopher Reeve movies by trying to make a hybrid of everything and I just haven't seen it work to my preferences hence my three versions. I always feel like editors are trying to force a square peg into a round hole so I just embraced each version and let it be what it is. Let the viewer pick what they want to see. The Superman Epic Alternate cut (LESTER, Paris scene etc) is my least favorite but it's still good. Also, since I've been sitting on this for 2 years now I think it's pretty cool that whenever I break out this Superman Epic I have options of which one I'm in the mood for.
Cover Art will be up soon (it has to be approved). I'll be sending out a version to be previewed sometime this month and it'll be released after I get feedback and make any final changes/updates which should be minimal.