• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Super 8 Collection Vol 1: Awful Sci-Fi Films

leeroy

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
45q8.jpg

a LEEROY Fanedit
after seeing what rogue has done with his super 8 edits i decided to have a go at doing one myself. i wanted to take what many may consider to be awful films and give them the super 8 effect and in doing so maybe improving the original. each short has been dramatically cut removing a lot of plot elements to create a shortened narrative which retains the essence of the original film.

AVP

Original film name: AVP
Film studio name: 20th Century Fox
Film release date: 22/10/04
Original runtime 101 minutes
New runtime 27 minutes
Amount of time cut 74 minutes

AVP is the only film on this collection that i saw at the cinema, and there are two things that i recall. one being the projector broke early (i wished it remained that way) and secondly the collective groan when the slow-mo face huger happened. expectations were low going into the film and the only positive was that it was good seeing the predators back on the big screen.
the alien franchise by now was just being milked for all that it's worth, alien 3 though not a perfect film was a fitting end only to be brought back for another outing.

one thing that i removed was the films final act no longer does our hero befriend the predator, also we only focus on a couple of the humans when they are being hunted. when i first started on this project rogue-thex showed me a few actual super 8 films he had, one of them was alien. the one thing that struck me and what i wanted to recreate was the lack of colour, the edit wasn't in black / white but had a subdued look.

ROBOCOP 3

Original film name: Robocop 3
Film studio name: MGM
Film release date: 24/6/93
Original runtime 104 minutes
New runtime 25 minutes
Amount of time cut 79 minutes

Robocop is up in there if i had to name you my favourite films. while it's not Citizen Kane standard every element in terms of music, characters, quote able dialogue and how the film has one of the more realistic take on the future make it a stand out film even to this day. Robocop 2 though not perfect is i feel a very underrated sequel, while Robocop 3 may get more criticism then it deserves it was a disappointment when comparing it to the two previous instalments.

though it retains that dark sense of humour and i do prefer the look to robocop in this film to it's sequel the tone downed language and violence and Peter Weller non return make for a poor film. as with all of the super 8 edits there are a lot of plot elements that have to be removed in order to have a shorter run time, and in this case the character of robocop may not get enough screen time. originally i had it end with robocop killing McDagget but in order to tell the story i wanted to tell it meant that the main character would have a smaller presence

HIGHLANDER II

Original film name: Highlander II
Film studio name:
Harat Investments, Lamb Bear Entertainment
Film release date: 12/4/91
Original runtime 109 minutes
New runtime 20 minutes
Amount of time cut 89 minutes

I always remember the first time i saw Highlander, we were on holiday and my folks had gone out for the evening leaving me and my sister to watch cable. we started to watch what was a very strange film that would jump back and forth in time but this film stayed with me even though i probably forgot the name of the film until i stumbled upon it again some years later.

for a film that maybe has a cult following it has spawn various films, animated kids show, tv series and other spin off's, it's sequel Highlander II: The Quickening remains something of a guilty pleasure for me. probably because it's the only time we get to see Connor and Ramirez together on screen but also it's just one of them films that is so bad that it's entertaining no matter what version you see

special thanks as always to rogue-thex for his input and dvd art work

Comment I wrote on [MENTION=24937]Pabs[/MENTION] review:

Those scores seem really harsh, but I haven't watched it myself. Can you explain your scores better in your review? All I get from the review is that the picture was too dark and you didn't like the grindhouse treatment he gave it.

For example, you gave Audio Editing a 3/10 but don't explain your reason for that in your review.

So please expand on your review to explain your ratings.

i don't like to comment to much when someone gives a negative review as at the end of the end everyone is entitled to their opinion and i don't want to come across as a whiny bitch. i've read many reviews and some of the more established editors have had lower scores, and while i respect pabs opinion as he claims to be knowledgeable in regards to super 8 films (though i find it strange that he's never reviewed one of rogues edits) i can't take this review to seriously.

in terms of grindhouse effects myself and rogue have swapped many effects over these last couple of years many of which i've seen in his super 8 edits. he's given me harsh scoring in terms of audio though these edits have had filters added to distort the audio given it a 2/10 for me is saying that the dialogue is hard to understand. in terms of being to dark the edits have been and will be uploaded onto viemo so if anyone feels the edits are un-watchable then i'm sorry.

Another minor issue is the opening with the guys getting stone watching a 16mm millimeter movie not Super 8. How about using a scene from J.J. Abrams "Super 8" instead?

when someone comments about footage i used for the dvd menu watching 16mm instead of super 8 footage i personally find really strange. it was just a bit of fun to introduce the edit and like i said before i can't take this review to seriously. the reason i din't use footage from jj abarms film is simple i don't own that film as i didn't like it enough to buy it.

i thank you for your review pabs but personally while i respect your opinion i do find your scoring a little to harsh

I actually love the way the video looks. The sound is a little annoying at times, but you can totally understand what they're saying. I did like this edit :)

Back
Top Bottom