• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Suicide Squad (2016)

I had my editing cap on fifteen minutes into this one. I thought there was some good moments in here, but some characters felt unnecessary (until the plot remembered why) and the plot was non-existant, just a lot of moments happening with no cohesion to it..until the last act, when suddenly one of the only two characters with clear motivation remembers they have one and kicks butt.

I'd definitely use certain scenes for a BVS edit though

One more thought...

Clearly David Ayers has watched EFNY but I think he's also watched Fritz Lang's 'Metropolis' once or twice. You'll know what I mean...

hqdefault.jpg

tumblr_m136m68djt1qbzlijo1_500.png

maxresdefault.jpg

I enjoyed it but can understand criticisms. Here's my review on Letterboxd.com if anybody cares.

TM2YC said:
(Did the Ghostbusters trailer people edit this thing?)

Kinda. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2016/08/03/was-suicide-squad-edited-to-death/

According to the Hollywood Reporter, however, Ayer did get to put his own stamp on Suicide Squad… and saw his movie rejected (or at least heavily chopped about with) by Warner Bros, who decided to do a new, frothier edit. The story tallies with reports from earlier this year that reshoots costing over $10 million were carried out to “add more humour” to the film, after a series of irreverent trailers drew a strong response from fans.

Fascinatingly, the article also states that one of the companies pulled in to help with the edits was Trailer Park, who actually produced the first teaser for the film. It’s hard not to imagine a “no, do it this way” subtext behind the decision.

Eventually, it seems that Warner Bros ended up with two distinct versions of the movie on their hands – the dark Ayer cut, and the lighter studio cut. After audience tests, they apparently optimistically decided that the best thing to do would be to merge the two versions together.

Neglify said:
I enjoyed it but can understand criticisms. Here's my review on Letterboxd.com if anybody cares.

TM2YC said:
(Did the Ghostbusters trailer people edit this thing?)

Kinda. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2016/08/03/was-suicide-squad-edited-to-death/

According to the Hollywood Reporter, however, Ayer did get to put his own stamp on Suicide Squad… and saw his movie rejected (or at least heavily chopped about with) by Warner Bros, who decided to do a new, frothier edit. The story tallies with reports from earlier this year that reshoots costing over $10 million were carried out to “add more humour” to the film, after a series of irreverent trailers drew a strong response from fans.

Fascinatingly, the article also states that one of the companies pulled in to help with the edits was Trailer Park, who actually produced the first teaser for the film. It’s hard not to imagine a “no, do it this way” subtext behind the decision.

Eventually, it seems that Warner Bros ended up with two distinct versions of the movie on their hands – the dark Ayer cut, and the lighter studio cut. After audience tests, they apparently optimistically decided that the best thing to do would be to merge the two versions together.

Riiiiight, I would _love_ to get to see that one original Director’s Cut

Okay now, I have finally seen “Suicide Squad”, or, really, 3/4 of it since I’ve had to leave the theater twenty minutes before the end of the film circa, but I have gathered some general ideas on the film.  Now, decidedlythe film is fun, and Deadshot, Harley Quinn - oh, especially Harley - and El Diablo are just perfect, and I liked the Joker too, liking Jared Leto’s different take on the character.  Definitely, he was little time on the film yet I don’t think he needed much more screen time, yet as I said on the ‘Fanedit ideas thread for the film’, Jared Leto has said he has shot enough footage for a solo film about the Joker and Harley Quinn, and while I, just like I think anybody who has seen the film, would love to see the rest of the material, _especially_ the deleted scene in which  Harleen threatens the Joker with a gun, (and that, for the matter, could have stayed in the film) the Joker material was good as it was.  The Batman’scameo has been very, very good even though I think I have missed one because of leaving early.  Nonetheless, as many have said, the film suffers from having undergone different  cuts of the film of varying tonalitiesduring post-production, the tone isn’t as inconsistent as I felt somebody made it out to be. The editing isn’t very good, especially in its first twenty minutes, where it really stutters a bit and has a hard time flowing.  Last but not least, the plot isn’t very thin as much as it is plain and simple, apt to the film and the characters, buuut the villain is really really thin and, greatly, uninteresting.  The film has a heart and emotion, andthis is something I need to have in comic book films, and is something I really feel “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” had, within its flaws.   Excuse any typos since I have been writing on my phone.   
Well, overall I liked the film, even though it is full of flaws and what-not.

Suicide Squad was... ehhhhh...

I liked it more than Batman v. Superman; it was certainly more "fun" compared to that movie, it actually tries to flesh it's characters and has a lot of funny moments.

My biggest problems with the movie are that the Joker had no real reason to be in this movie (really the end where he breaks Harley out was all that was needed), and they tried way too hard to make it's villain characters sympathetic (I'm looking at you Deadshot).

It could have used more Amanda Waller. And Katana, even thought she didn't have lines.

I like it more than the previous movies in the DCCU, but I felt it still wasn't very good.

I'd totally forgotten about this mid-2015 Comic-Con first-look trailer...

Wow, if that was the tone they were envisioning as principle-photography wrapped... it's easy to see why it turned into such a mess a year later. After the positive reaction to the 2016 GOTG pop-video trailers and the negative response to the drab BvS. Even the WB logo is all grey :D .

It seems I had too many expectations for this, as I came away disappointed overall.  I guess I would have probably liked the watered-down 'anti'-hero characters in this movie (along with it's 'jokey', 'fun' aspects) a little better...if I'd ONLY seen the 2 frenetic, 'song'-scored trailers to begin with!  (they are both shown on the first page here) 

However, I saw that terrific 'comic-con' teaser initially, which implied a different 'tone' for the movie...and thought that we were getting a kind of 'Dirty Dozen'/'Escape From New York' type mission filled with truly bad-ass super-villains, rather than the 'not-so-bad-after-all', sympathetic ones we ended up with.  And I was so ready for a harder-edged type of movie featuring these characters, thanks to that 1st preview.    

And because that teaser featured 'The Joker' having the last laugh at the very end of it, I originally thought that he was actually going to be the 'target' of the unwilling squad's mission...  I was wrong about that unfortunately, and was sorry to see the noticeable change of tone come the subsequent 2 trailers I mentioned above.

I know that quite a lot of people really enjoyed this movie, but if only I hadn't seen that 'comic-con' teaser (or read about the studio's various re-editing shennanigans), then I might have appreciated it a whole lot more.  :dodgy:  

I don't know if we'll ever get to see an extended cut or not, but I sure wish the makers had come up with a storyline which involved attempting to stop the Joker's mad chaos, instead of one involving the Enchantress's 'ghostbusters' antics...

Anyway, there are some interesting thoughts in this article here - io9.gizmodo.com/all-the-ways-suicide-squad-could-have-been-much-much-b-1784977669

This video cracked me up :D ...

Looking at both those links above, what I wouldn't do to see how the film would play out in a linear fashion.

New extended cut trailer released.  Looks interesting, albeit still tone-varying. 

That opening there with the Joker looks great and all but this is only an "Extended Cut" so it will probably still have the really jarring purple warping nonsense going on all over the place. Sigh...

I'll wait to see exactly what the 13 (or 11???) minutes contain before rendering any final judgement. Fingers crossed for that centre channel too...  :dodgy:

Yep.  If anything, this gives me a lot of hope for the upcoming "Gotham Sirens".

Back
Top Bottom