• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Story, Pacing, Character, Magic: Narrative Techniques for Better Fanedits

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi Everyone!

A warning: This is going to be longwinded.

I'm putting down some thoughts about how I approach the more artistic side of fanedits vs. the technical. There's tons of great advice for faneditors involving technical editing skills, but there's not a ton of discussion on structure, character, narrative, etc. In my personal opinion, a strong focus on those items can really separate good edits from great edits.

I also am posting this with modesty. I do not think I'm an expert on this. However, I can back up that I slightly know what I'm talking about. I studied screenwriting, filmmaking, and editing. I am one of the OG faneditors, my first edits were using dvdrips and Womble. I have a lot of edits with a 9+ review average, and I've won a few FEOTM and FEOTY awards. Again, not showing off, I just want you to know who you are getting advice from!

One of the things that I think makes my edits successful is my approach to story, pacing, and character. I'm not the best editor technically. I can't do special effects. I struggle to even get believable titles in my edits. A shot other editors could mask in 10 minutes will take me 2 days. Point is, I know my strengths.

So without further adieu, let's get to some thoughts.

1. Story

Any good story, and by extension any good fanedit, starts with a question. One specific question, which is "WHAT IF?" Even if you don't consciously think about your What If, you have one. I'm going to talk about making that What If work for you.

I'm going to use Zack Snyder's Justice League as an example. For my edit, the obvious What If is "What if ZSJL was under 3 hours?". Yeah, that's technically correct, but it also gives me no indication of how to approach what I'm about to do. Cut it down to 3 hours can mean literally anything. I could just cut the last hour out and with one cut, I've accomplished my What If.

But my What If was actually "What if Snyder never left the production, and the studio made him cut his workprint down to a theatrically viable release?" Well now, that's more interesting. Now I have something to guide what the story is. To accomplish this, I have to keep the same overall plot and character beats that Snyder has in his extended version, but imagine him trying to cut it down to something you could release in the theater. I know what needs to stay and needs to go. I may have to make a tough call about a couple of scenes, but in this situation Snyder would have to make that call too.

Dune wasn't "what if the miniseries was actually a film?" It was "What if Dune was a big, Cecil B. Demille-esque old Hollywood epic?" Final Order wasn't "What if Rey isn't a Palpatine and Leia dies early?" It was "What if Rey no longer has a famous lineage or mentor to lean on, and has to navigate her way through this story she shouldn't even be a part of?" Interesting questions lead you to interesting answers, which leads to interesting, cohesive fanedits.

Now you know what your story is going to be, it's time to start looking at how best to tell it.

2. Pacing

Pacing is the speed at which the plot moves. This can be determined by the speed of camera shots, length of dialogue and movement. So, essentially, everything is pacing. That makes it hard to technically pinpoint how to have good pacing.

Honestly, it isn’t a technical thing. Pacing is, unlike a lot of elements of filmmaking and editing, about feeling. Your gut knows when it’s there and when it isn’t.

Pacing is absolutely one of the most important elements of any fanedit, and something that doesn’t get discussed nearly enough. The difficulty with pacing is that 90% of Hollywood movies have terrible pacing to begin with, so you're almost always trying to make an improvement.

You ever watch a 3 hour movie and feel shocked that it’s already over? You ever watch a 90 minute movie and can’t wait for the credits to roll? That’s the gut feeling. We all have it. Our sensitivity and preferences will be different, but we can all tell when something just isn’t really working. It’s not about length, it’s about the route the story takes from beginning to end. 2 hours is more or less the standard, but I’ve seen great pacing in movies that were 80 minutes or three and a half hours. I’ve also seen terrible pacing in both.

There’s a temptation to force through your ideas when making a fanedit. You want something to work so badly, that you might ignore that gut feeling. There might be a scene you put a ton of work into, or you love very much, or did a neat visual effect for. Technically it works. The problem there is that it’s not just about one scene working. It’s about how each moment ties together to create a seamless, enthralling whole. Removing these things you love is commonly referred to as "killing your darlings" and it's something filmmakers have to struggle with all the time. It's no different for faneditors.

We live in a world of bloated epics and bingeable series that are really just long form movies. Things are created now with the assumption that you’ll have it on while you’re doing the laundry, or while playing on your phone. Many modern films lack immediacy, urgency, and that indescribable “oomph”. Find the oomph! You want your audience fully engaged in what is going on from beginning to end. That might mean faster editing and movement, but it also might mean keeping one of those “unnecessary” scenes just so everyone can have a breather and a moment to catch up. It’s very important, and it’s very undervalued.

The best, easiest way to quickly improve your edit is to punch up the pacing.

3. Character

Character is tricky. Your edit might be making some huge changes to the story. You need to stop and think how that impacts the various characters, and also the audience's opinion of those characters.

Let’s say you want to cut all of Jar-Jar’s silly dialogue in The Phantom Menace. You could absolutely technically do that. However, what’s left? Not much. So now we just have a nothing character floating through the story, doing and saying nothing. This is not an improvement. I’d rather have a toned down version of the goofy guy than a random frog man I with no personality, and most people are going to feel the same way.

It will be easier to keep a grip on your characters if you have a clear “what if” and are paying attention to pacing. Because, you know what? When you look at the pacing of The Phantom Menace, you can start to understand why some of that Jar-Jar stuff was there in the first place. He’s there when we need to slow down to offer a comedic beat. He absolutely exists for a genuine story and pacing reason. So when altering that character, you have to think about what it does to the story and the pacing. It’s also possible to create a stronger character by having them do less, which will also impact the story and the pacing.

Do you see how all this connects yet? I hope so, because when story, pacing, and character all intersect in just the right way, you get…

4. MAGIC

Luke Skywalker flies down the trench, the last fighter pilot left that can get the job done. Darth Vader is right on his tail. He doesn’t have enough time.

He’s unsure if he can make the shot using the targeting computer. The last guy couldn’t make the shot. Vader is almost in range.

The ghostly voice of Luke’s mentor reaches out, and tells him to trust his feelings. He can do it. Luke believes in himself, in The Force.

But he's out of time. Vader locks on. It’s all about to be over. Until Han Solo comes back (I knew he cared!) and blasts Vader into next week.

Luke makes the shot, there’s a huge explosion, the heroes win the day, and the audience erupts.

Story, pacing, and character all intersect in the best possible way to give us that moment of magic. A moment that’s really just models, music, and some actors sitting in fake cockpits. Instead, it’s one of the most iconic scenes to ever hit the silver screen.

All filmmaking is magic. It’s the act of making something appear out of thin air, and making people care about your creation. Magical moments happen all the time in movies. Like pacing, sometimes it’s just a feeling. A neat idea. A “hmm, I wonder if I…” and then suddenly something incredible happens. You're looking for those moments of magic when making your edit, but sometimes they'll just find you.

An example: When I did my edit of The Hobbit (What if The Hobbit was always intended as one film?) I came up to a difficult moment. I had cut one of the secondary villains, an Orc general, for pacing reasons. We didn’t need him when we had the other main Orc villain, and I minimized Legolas’ part of the story, so it was a good move.

However, when I got to the end, I ran into an issue: Legolas still had Thorin’s sword, which Thorin needed to have in order to face the main antagonist. The scene that involved Legolas giving the sword to Thorin involved the villain that I cut.

What should I do? Do I put him back in just to get the sword to Thorin? That would ruin my pacing and make the film longer. Do I just, like, pretend Thorin had it the whole time, or minimize the importance of the sword? Well that hurts the character and creates a logic gap. I also would lose out on a nice moment of an elf helping a dwarf, something that will echo through the Lord of the Rings films after this one.

Then, out of nowhere, a simple solution hit me: I have a shot of Legolas unsheathing the sword, and I have a shot of the sword flying into an Orc. What if I just combine those….

And suddenly, I had magic. It’s implied that Legolas throws the sword at the Orc, which is sold by the geography and the sound effects. It's now a rousing moment in a string of big action beats, and an important and satisfying interaction between Thorin and Legolas.

I created a moment that didn't exist, and it worked because I paid attention to my story, my pacing, and my characters. It’s one of the simplest cuts I’ve ever done, and it made one of the best moments in the whole edit, and it’s a moment that doesn’t show any clear signs of being fanedit, since it’s just a simple cut.

Magic makes itself available to you, it sometimes just takes a few minutes (or days, or weeks, or 20 failed other tries) to see it.

However, do you really want to maximize your chances of finding that magic? Of creating not just a good fanedit, but a great movie?

Story + Pacing + Character = Magic

Last edited:
My Heavy Star Wars movies do this.

I've also experimented with moving scenes around for a change of tone, sometimes added humor, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I definitely related to the "killing your darlings" part. For my Hobbit fanedit I managed to completely remove Azog and his orc pack from the Out of the Frying Pan sequence. The individual cuts felt seamless, but when I watched the edit as a whole the scene felt really off. I realized that without Azog, the scene felt random and lacked stakes. So I decided to add him back in.

However, I was able to modify the scene to where Azog's story felt more relevant and the scene overall is far better, so sometimes it is best to kill your darlings, and you may find new, better darlings in the process.

This is a very valuable resource. All faneditors and would be faneditors could learn some neat tricks. Thanks for sharing the cards up your sleeve, @spence!

Last edited:
I'm bumping this thread because of the amount of new editors and would be editors. I think there is a wealth of good advice.

The part about Jar-Jar really does apply to Spritle in my Speed Racer edit. The first thing I wanted to do was cut comedic scenes I felt were out of place and juvenile, and Spritle and Chim-Chim have an entire subplot about sneaking onto the villain's private jet to steal candy, among many other odd moments.

I knew I couldn't completely cut the character because he's a major part of the most emotional scene for me, when Speed is about to run away, Spritle asks "can we come with you" but Speed hears his own voice asking Rex the same question. So I asked "OK, who is this character, and what scenes make him work?"

Spritle is the little brother. Speed was a little brother, and he wanted to be his big brother Rex. When Speed sees himself in Spritle, he is seeing Rex in himself. He is his family and his family is him, and that's what the movie is about. He's always in Speed's business, often stowing away inside the Mach 5 (like in the show) and distrustful of anyone trying to interfere with the family business.

So going back to that first example, where Spritle and Chim-Chim try to steal Royalton's sweets while Royalton (the antagonist) gives Speed a big monologue/lecture. Instead of cutting their involvement in the sequence altogether, I removed the duo finding the candy stash, sneaking away after eating it all, and taking a sugar-rush induced golf cart joyride through Royalton Tower. I left in the two poking their heads out of a drawer in the private jet, and then the scene where they see the part of the factory that builds race cheating and sabotage devices.

This way, we still get a breather from the big monologue about the auto industry rigging races to influence the stock market, but it doesn't cut to over the top key-jiggling that makes our heads spin, and makes it feel like the movie doesn't believe in itself. (And if there's one thing this film does right when it cranks things to 11, it's that the movie wholeheartedly believes in itself.)

So going back to that first example, where Spritle and Chim-Chim try to steal Royalton's sweets while Royalton (the antagonist) gives Speed a big monologue/lecture. Instead of cutting their involvement in the sequence altogether, I removed the duo finding the candy stash, sneaking away after eating it all, and taking a sugar-rush induced golf cart joyride through Royalton Tower. I left in the two poking their heads out of a drawer in the private jet, and then the scene where they see the part of the factory that builds race cheating and sabotage devices.

This way, we still get a breather from the big monologue about the auto industry rigging races to influence the stock market, but it doesn't cut to over the top key-jiggling that makes our heads spin, and makes it feel like the movie doesn't believe in itself. (And if there's one thing this film does right when it cranks things to 11, it's that the movie wholeheartedly believes in itself.)
It's very effective. It feels like Spritle/Chim-Chim stowed away purely because they care about Speed and want to keep tabs on the characters influencing his life (in this case, Royalton). Same with how they stowed away in the trunk during Speed's date with Trixie. Maybe they don't 100% trust her. Another possible read: Pops sent them on a covert mission to spy because he doesn't trust Royalton. It even works as a mix of the two. What doesn't work is them doing it purely to get his fancy candy, and then sort of accidentally finding the spear hook. You fixed it! :)

I may just chip in on this one....
YUMMY!

Donuts Eating GIF by Nickelodeon

2. Pacing

Pacing is the speed at which the plot moves. This can be determined by the speed of camera shots, length of dialogue and movement. So, essentially, everything is pacing. That makes it hard to technically pinpoint how to have good pacing.

Honestly, it isn’t a technical thing. Pacing is, unlike a lot of elements of filmmaking and editing, about feeling. Your gut knows when it’s there and when it isn’t.

Pacing is absolutely one of the most important elements of any fanedit, and something that doesn’t get discussed nearly enough. The difficulty with pacing is that 90% of Hollywood movies have terrible pacing to begin with, so you're almost always trying to make an improvement.

You ever watch a 3 hour movie and feel shocked that it’s already over? You ever watch a 90 minute movie and can’t wait for the credits to roll? That’s the gut feeling. We all have it. Our sensitivity and preferences will be different, but we can all tell when something just isn’t really working. It’s not about length, it’s about the route the story takes from beginning to end. 2 hours is more or less the standard, but I’ve seen great pacing in movies that were 80 minutes or three and a half hours. I’ve also seen terrible pacing in both.

There’s a temptation to force through your ideas when making a fanedit. You want something to work so badly, that you might ignore that gut feeling. There might be a scene you put a ton of work into, or you love very much, or did a neat visual effect for. Technically it works. The problem there is that it’s not just about one scene working. It’s about how each moment ties together to create a seamless, enthralling whole. Removing these things you love is commonly referred to as "killing your darlings" and it's something filmmakers have to struggle with all the time. It's no different for faneditors.

We live in a world of bloated epics and bingeable series that are really just long form movies. Things are created now with the assumption that you’ll have it on while you’re doing the laundry, or while playing on your phone. Many modern films lack immediacy, urgency, and that indescribable “oomph”. Find the oomph! You want your audience fully engaged in what is going on from beginning to end. That might mean faster editing and movement, but it also might mean keeping one of those “unnecessary” scenes just so everyone can have a breather and a moment to catch up. It’s very important, and it’s very undervalued.

The best, easiest way to quickly improve your edit is to punch up the pacing.

I've learned a lot about pacing since becoming an editor. In fact just yesterday I previewed a four hour edit of mine for the 10th time over the past 2 years or so and I decided to remove a scene I had reinserted for this reason. I thought surely this scene should be added, it's great, it's funny, lets plug it back in there. Then I noticed, ya know what.... this is just slowing the pacing down and ultimately it doesn't do anything at all for the story. So that scene I added is now back on the cutting room floor where it belongs. Now the pacing is greatly improved.

More people should sit on their edits and watch and preview them over an over to get them right. Take some time away and come back to it. I've noticed a lot of editors take deleted scenes and just drop them back into the movie and move on. That's great if you are looking for an EXTENDED CUT but it doesn't always make for the best possible film. I don't have the technical skills to do the VFX stuff and all that so I just focus on editing the scenes. When I look at deleted scenes that I want to put back in the movie, I often end up trimming them. Apparently that is rare from what I see. I find a lot of deleted scenes can be gold if they are trimmed down FOR PACING. I take this same approach with a scene that has something I dislike. We all have scenes or lines or characters we dislike in films. It seems to me editors will all too often remove the person or the scene they dislike even if they are BUTCHERING the movie. That doesn't make sense to me. My approach is.... I'd rather the viewer have an issue with the filmmaker's decision than take issue with me butchering the film in the editing process. It's like needing a haircut, so you grab a chainsaw.... Sure your hair is cut, but ya may wanna do something about all the blood.... If I strongly dislike a scene a little trick I do is I just look for ways to get through the scene faster without butchering anything. This really helps a person with my skillset. I'll still dislike the scene, but now we get through it faster, without some of whatever we disliked and the film is not butchered. I see this as a net improvement. In short, If I can't trim the whole scene seamlessly, what can I trim, to get through a weak scene faster without the audience knowing anything is missing. That's how I improve my films.

In short, If I can't trim the whole scene seamlessly, what can I trim, to get through a weak scene faster without the audience knowing anything is missing. That's how I improve my films.
My spin on this is "Is Point B necessary for the scene or overall story to get from Point A to Point C?" If the answer us no, then trim. If yes, leave it as it is.

As an example, in my recent Star Trek edit, there's a scene in the Ready Room where Riker informs Picard that Malcolm McDowell's Dr. Soran wants to meet him. Picard is distant and standoffish with Riker, as he is still processing the grief of his brother and nephew's deaths. In their previous interaction on the Bridge, Picard was equally abrupt with Riker.

When he goes to meet Soran, Picard first states to another character that he is looking for Soran, then confirms with Soran that he wanted to speak with him.

Thus, between Picard's uncharacteristic snapping at Riker on the Bridge and having Soran confirm that he had requested him, both purposes of the Ready Room scene became superfluous. Cutting that scene allowed the plot to move faster with no hinderance to the viewer in understanding what is going on.

I've been sitting on an edit of Attack of the Clones since June. Every time I come back to it I make it that little bit better.
I know that feeling. I've got a few edit's I've been watching for years that I keep thinking are ready to post but then I find something new to change or correct. It never ends.

I'm a firm believer in the phrase "art is never finished, only abandoned". My personal interpretation of that quote is that you will always find more and more ways to justify tweaking or improving whatever you are working on ad infinitum. Whether that be the several Eureka! moments that took time to be revealed and will continue to be revealed in time. Or the inevitability that if you start right this moment and continue practicing, a year from now you will have assuredly improved in all/most aspects of technical familiarity and storytelling skill. The self critical dilemma starts when you come to expect personal improvement and continue to reinvest that skill level back into what you have already done. Therefore delaying conclusion of the project for the investments of time payed and experience delivered. Which is a theoretically never ending cycle.

Coming back to a project after some time to apply your experience is a pleasure for both the artist and the audience but it cannot be a perpetual process. Taking time away from any artistic endeavor is a great and necessary way to gain perspective. Perpetual attention to work and the pursuit of perfection will have you losing sight of the shore. Questioning the validity of decisions you felt so clever and proud of because you thought your way out of the mental process which lead you to those conclusions. If there are too many lines drawn in the sand, it just becomes sand again. Uniformly chaotic and meaningless. You will become "lost in the sauce" as they say.

They say ghosts are spirits who have unfinished business here on Earth. But every single person alive and who has ever lived, leaves with unfinished business and unfinished projects. Knowing when to quit is a skill in itself. Imperfection is what makes us unique and begrudgingly, that is also another word for personal style.

I'm also a big fan of the classic "show don't tell" school of thought. And the Stephen King paraphrase "if the writer is engaged, so too will the readers".

Last edited:
This post has really helped me gain a better and evolving understanding of act structure over the years, it would be really cool if it was made into a Fanedit of sorts someday similar to Wraith's Making of Split Unbreakable Glass. Maybe using footage from the Star Wars Prequels and the Hobbit movies since there the most fanedited franchises on this platform and many would own the official sources so said hypothetical Fanedit would be accessable and relatable to alot of aspiring First Time Faneditors and some Established Faneditors and Academy Members.

This post has really helped me gain a better and evolving understanding of act structure over the years, it would be really cool if it was made into a Fanedit of sorts someday similar to Wraith's Making of Split Unbreakable Glass. Maybe using footage from the Star Wars Prequels and the Hobbit movies since there the most fanedited franchises on this platform and many would own the official sources so said hypothetical Fanedit would be accessable and relatable to alot of aspiring First Time Faneditors and some Established Faneditors and Academy Members.
That's a really interesting idea. Got a full plate at the moment but I'd be up for doing something like that.

Back
Top Bottom