• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Stereo to 5.1 Surround: Audio levels

z-vap

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey guys,

like many others I am trying to work with Stereo audio and get it to 5.1 surround. I have my source stereo audio imported into Audacity and I am following this gentleman's advice (third post). Honestly I don't know if its even good advice; it could be for mixing DJ music for all I know.

At any rate, I do have my center channel with bass reduced (can't even remember now how I did that), the LFE track had a LowPassfilter at 6db and 120Hz. Front LR have been Stereo Widened, and Rears have had the levels modified according to what he recommended.

However, as I sit here, I am curious, don't I need to lower the overall amplification of the rears somewhat?

If not these, what settings do you recommend? Thanks

EDIT: i should add this is not for inserting a stereo clip into a 5.1 film. This audio is the entire movie being converted

z-vap said:
i should add this is not for inserting a stereo clip into a 5.1 film. This audio is the entire movie being converted

My advice: Don't bother. Just leave it in stereo and people and enable the Dolby PL settings on their receivers if they want fake surround sound.

Adabisi said:
My advice: Don't bother. Just leave it in stereo and people and enable the Dolby PL settings on their receivers if they want fake surround sound.

Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom