• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace Review

theslime said:
convincing enough as a stoic thinker type - not that dissimilar to Alec Baldwin, really.

Too much guiness maybe? ;)

Haha. I'm an idiot. And I was in a hurry. And I've been watching 30 Rock more than Star Wars (thank god). :)

theslime said:
Haha. I'm an idiot. And I was in a hurry. And I've been watching 30 Rock more than Star Wars (thank god). :)

Well, if you're watching 30 Rock, then every episode you are seeing hands-down a far worse choice than SLJ: Tracy Morgan :p. He is hands-down the worst 'actor' of his generation. He is the sole reason I can't watch 30 Rock, he is a real-life Jar Jar Binks that sucks the very soul out of every scene he is in.

And while I'm not saying they're bad, I will say that pick almost any black half-comedian-half-actor and he would have been far worse; Chris Rock? dear lord. Cedric? Martin Lawrance? Even Eddie Murphy would have been worse (and Eddie's done some decent work amongst the pile of crap he's made). Not to be picky, but that really was hyperbole.

Personally, I think SLJ was a great choice, and the only downside was the fact it was hard to see him and not think 'Bad Mother-Fucker" during TPM.

My initial reaction to the Jedi Council was that I hated them and couldn't figure out why Lucas did it. They were arrogant and condescending, not at all what I grew up imagining them to be, based on Obi-Wan's wistful remembrances. But as the saga played out I realized that the arrogant attitude of the Jedi was perfect and made sense.. they'd been the kings of the hill for 1000 unchallenged years, they'd grown complacent and over-confident.. this was just one of the critical components of their downfall, and Jackson IMO played this wonderfully, and was a constant antagonist to Anakin (sadly, his skills with a light saber were unimpressive to say the least)

Morgan Freeman on the other hand would have been a terrible choice for the above reasons. Morgan Freeman has made a career out of playing noble, likable heroes. He's that guy we all wish we knew, the one we all relate to in a movie, and in the PT, I don't believe that we're actually supposed to relate to the council, they are in many ways their own worst enemies. Perhaps this is just my personal interpretation, but this is one of the subtexts that I think Lucas actually did very well.

tracy morgan's "black guy" voice/delivery cracks me up. but he would be a worse choice, so would chris tucker, dave chappelle or anyone from a tyler perry show/film.

[youtubewide:bybws4al]

Yeah, well, I didn't really consider Tracey Morgan as Mace, you're right there (although he's great on 30 Rock). Or Martin Lawrence. I kinda restricted myself to actors with one or two serious roles under their belts. I agree that Eddie Murphy would have been awful too - even though he's a much better actor than SLJ will ever be, as he showed in Dreamgirls (an uneven film, but Eddie was stellar in it).

Your take on the council is sound - although the idea of using the jedi for such a purpose was awful to begin with - but Mace's part in it isn't set in stone. He could've been the one who saw through Palps's lies, and who recognised Anakin's path before the others. There are traces of individuality there (although he's so poorly written it's hard to tell sometimes), and those traces could have used some personality. But SLJ is placed there to be SLJ, not a jedi, and he ends up as a clueless tool with a purple lightsabre. You might say that was the purpose. I think that would be being too kind to Lucas, not to mention that in that case a robot could have done the same job.

Back
Top Bottom