• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars The Dark Redemption - The FanFilm Edit (COMPLETED w/new audio mix)

I always loved Peter Mayhem. But I thought he hated Star Wars. Because of all the mayhem.

addiesin said:
I always loved Peter Mayhem. But I thought he hated Star Wars. Because of all the mayhem.

lol I totally missed that typo

Hoping to spend this week on the end credits & have it completed. Im already starting to look at other fanfilms that I might choose as my next project, since Ive enjoyed doing this quite a bit. As far as a first project & first attempt at fan editing goes, I think this has been pretty sats probably going to do more Star Wars fanfilms, but Ive been looking at other genres of fanfilms for my second project, Batman City Of Scars being a strong candidate at this point. I havent really invested myself too much in picking another project until I have this one finished tho so time will tell what I finally settle on. Hope everyone has enjoyed the work I have done so far tho :)

So, quick update. FINALLY got the new music score clip added in for the last scene in the film. Took a while to trim it up & synch it so it fit in to the scene for the entire duration, but finally got it figured. Now all that is left is literally to tweak the end credits by adding in Peter Mayhew & Harrison Ford's names as well as add in the new end credit music & then it is all done! Hoping to have it all done by the weekend & posted by Sunday at the latest so everyone here can see the finished edit. :)  Decided to forgo rerotoscoping the laser blasts in the film & the lightsaber as well, they arent necessary changes I have to do. Getting excited to have my first fan edit all done!

So, here it is! Finally completed! Thanks to everyone who was interested & had advice for me! Enjoy!

Any comments or input is welcome!

Here is the full list of changes that I have made to this fanfilm. Posting this for anyone who might be interested to see what differences there are. The original fanfilm can be found in the first post of this thread.

OPENING LOGOS
1) Removed theforce.net title card at the beginning of the film.
2) Replaced the original theforce.net title intro with the 20th Century Fox & Lucasfilm logos with the 20th Century Fox fanfare playing over both.
3) Removed the scene pre original crawl of Mara Jade being thrown into her cell.

FILM INTRODUCTION
4) Replaced the "A long time ago etc" shot with a clearer resolution shot of that same text.
5) Replaced the THE DARK REDEMPTION text that flashes on the screen & then recedes slowly with the more traditional STAR WARS logo to be more like the saga films.
6) Rewritten the opening crawl & added to the text to flesh out the crawl a bit more.
7) Created the new opening crawl using the Star Wars Crawl Creator on the starwars.com website & physically filmed the new crawl as it plays in the app using my iPhone. (the app on the website does not allow for one to save their crawl in any way so this was the only way to retain the crawl I had done; I considered doing the new crawl from scratch using either Powerpoint or AfterEffects but after watching a few tutorials on how to do this on YouTube, I decided to just go with the official website's app & physically film it as it was quicker & easier, not to mention more accurate to how the crawls appear in the saga films & thus would give more accuracy in matching this crawl up to appear as close to those ones)
8) Replaced the opening crawl music that plays in the film with the opening crawl theme music from the video game Star Wars Dark Forces II Jedi Knight as it fit into the time frame & the speed of the crawl more appropriately (have had this game since its release & adore it, so its soundtrack is one that I had easy access to, along with various other games Ive purchased over the years)

ABOVE KESSEL
9) Removed the pan down shot to the planet Kessel with the TIE Fighter flying by & approaching the Star Destroyer & then Slave I descending from the Star Destroyer's hanger bay & flying towards Kessel.
10) Replaced the above shot with the opening pan up shot from the fanfilm Wrath Of The Mandalorian to now have several Star Destroyers show now, with a shot of Slave I descending from the hanger bay of one of the Star Destroyers.
11) Added in new music 'Taris Lower City' from the game KOTOR to play after the pan down & as Boba Fett does his landing approach.

MARA'S CELL #1
12) Removed the line in Mara's cell where Zelig says he has been in the spice mines for so long. Bad dialogue that just sounded awful & needed to be trimmed down.

CANTINA SCENE
13) Removed scene of Lt Pol Treidum hitting on the girl in the Kessel cantina. This wasn't funny, just a really clumsy attempt at humour that fell flat & really took away from the mood of the scene, as well as being completely superfluous & unnecessary.

INFILTRATING KESSEL
14) Removed dialogue of officer griping about he should never have transfered from starship duty. Unnecessary exposition of a nameless character that adds nothing to the story.
15) Removed the Han/Luke dialogue homage 'how we doing, same as always, that bad, huh?' from hallway scene btwn Zev & Klaus. Cheesy usage & just awful when recycled in this scene.

MARA'S CELL #2
16) Trimmed the scene in Mara's cell, after Stormtrooper leaves, to eliminate Garrock hovering over an unconscious Mara. It is super creepy & unnecessary to the film.
17) Removed the Zev/Mara kiss. Nothing in the film until this point suggests a romantic relationship btwn the two of them, so the kiss is just out of place romance that doesn't fit with anything else in the film.

ESCAPING KESSEL
18) Removed the 'laugh it up, Aqualish' dialogue spoken by Klaus. Bad writing, bad acting. 
19) Removed the 'bouncing Imperials' shot, where three stormtroopers & an officer seem to bounce their way down the hallway across the screen for no reason other than bad over acting.
20) Removed the 'what a drag' dialogue from Garrock. Bad writing & too obvious a joke.

CONFRONTING BOBA FETT
21) Removed the 'Boba Fett, Ive been waiting for this moment' dialogue that Klaus says. Bad writing, bad acting & it implies a backstory that is no way explained at all before or during the film.
22) Removed the 'grow up, laserbrain' Boba Fett dialogue as it was just corny & bad writing.   

MILLENNIUM FALCON ESCAPE
23) Removed TIE Fighter attack on the Millennium Falcon as well as cargo dump.
24) Inserted new footage of Millenium Falcon escaping as well as redid the dialogue using dialogue of Han Solo & Chewbacca from The Force Awakens.
25) Added footage from Star Wars fanfilm Knightquest showing cargo being ejected from the cargo bay.
26) Added in the Falcon cockpit shot of Han & Chewie as the Millennium Falcon jumps into hyperspace.

EMPEROR'S THRONE ROOM
27) Added in new clip from the music score 'The Lawless' from the Clone Wars soundtrack.

END CREDITS
28) Removed the flash effect transition to the end credits with a more traditional fade out.
29) Removed the original rock song that plays over the end credits & replaced it with the more traditional Star Wars end credits music that appears at the end of every saga film. I used the end credits music from Knights Of The Old Republic II The Sith Lords, with the final end part of the credits score from the end of A New Hope.
30) Added in Peter Mayhew & Harrison Ford's names to the end credits to reflect their inclusion in the film, as well as my own name credited as fan editor.

hey, katie, congrats on finishing!

the addition of JW music definitely makes this production feel more SW-like. good job there. i liked the han solo dialogue and chewie gurgles. and the story flows better with the cuts, especially of the superfluous material. you provided the extra editing they needed back in 1999.  :D

i agree with bionicbob about the crawl. in the original, the very first line of the crawl can be read in its entirety as soon as it appears. ideally, that's what you'd like to aim for in your edit. as things are, the lines are already slipping away from me by the time the left and right periphery comes into view. i felt i was falling behind in my reading, which created a sense of speed-reading urgency.

though the JW music definitely improves the vibe, the sound requires some additional attention, if you don't mind my mentioning so.
• overall, the sound levels are quite low until after the 19-min mark and especially after the 20-min mark.
• about 1:13, there's a noticeable audio splice. perhaps the intro piece could have been used in its entirety so as to avoid the interruption?
• about 1:32, the sound drops out for a couple seconds. a cross-fade might work there. one could let the intro music run a bit before fading it out.
• around 18:09-19:03, the sound is a bit tinny. was the sound recorded with a microphone/phone instead of a wired hookup from device-to-device?

overall, it's a good first effort. we all have to cut our teeth somewhere, and just about all the seasoned editors on this site look back at their freshman efforts and see things they could have done better. whether you choose to fix a few things or move on to your next project, your experience from this edit will help you in your future edits. looking forward to seeing more of your stuff!

ssj said:
hey, katie, congrats on finishing!

the addition of JW music definitely makes this production feel more SW-like. good job there. i liked the han solo dialogue and chewie gurgles. and the story flows better with the cuts, especially of the superfluous material. you provided the extra editing they needed back in 1999.  :D 

Thank you! It was a bit of a bear to get done, especially with trying to do as seamless cuts as possible within the film, but I think that between the music & the cuts to dialogue & acting, it came out decently.

ssj said:
i agree with bionicbob about the crawl. in the original, the very first line of the crawl can be read in its entirety as soon as it appears. ideally, that's what you'd like to aim for in your edit. as things are, the lines are already slipping away from me by the time the left and right periphery comes into view. i felt i was falling behind in my reading, which created a sense of speed-reading urgency.

I do agree about the crawl for sure. Im already starting to look at what I can do to try & slow down the speed of the crawl as it moves. Since Ive been toying with the idea of taking six of the approximately 20 min in length Star Wars fanfilms & tying them together to form a fanfilm saga, Im in the process now of deciding which films I want to choose, what wording I want for the opening crawls for all six of them so that I can in some way tie them all together slightly & which episode numbers each fanfilm would have. For The Dark Redemption ideally, I feel it should fall under Episode IV but as I sort things out, that will remain to be seen. Since Im trying to work this all out, there is a very high chance that the current crawl I have will change drastically, which will also mean a speed correction to it as well.  

ssj said:
though the JW music definitely improves the vibe, the sound requires some additional attention, if you don't mind my mentioning so.
• overall, the sound levels are quite low until after the 19-min mark and especially after the 20-min mark.
• about 1:13, there's a noticeable audio splice. perhaps the intro piece could have been used in its entirety so as to avoid the interruption?
• about 1:32, the sound drops out for a couple seconds. a cross-fade might work there. one could let the intro music run a bit before fading it out.
• around 18:09-19:03, the sound is a bit tinny. was the sound recorded with a microphone/phone instead of a wired hookup from device-to-device?

Yep, there are definitely sound issues Im not happy with here too. Once I can work out the crawl again, i think I should be also able to figure out the audio at 1:13. The audio gap at 1:32 I think happened bc of the next music score being added in having a VERY quite start to it. The most noticeable issue is absolutely the audio around the 18 min mark tho. Im trying to figure out what happened there so I can fix it.

ssj said:
overall, it's a good first effort. we all have to cut our teeth somewhere, and just about all the seasoned editors on this site look back at their freshman efforts and see things they could have done better. whether you choose to fix a few things or move on to your next project, your experience from this edit will help you in your future edits. looking forward to seeing more of your stuff!

Thank you VERY much for the feedback it is very helpful! With this edit in the rearview mirror now, like Lucas himself Im already thinking of ways to fix it further. Im debating just dropping the footage of the cargo being dumped & having the shot go from the Star Destroyer exploding to the Falcon jumping into hyperspace. One idea Ive been having post-edit. Overall tho, Im fairly content with how much I was able to accomplish considering this whole thing was done in Windows Movie Maker. Im still quite a ways off from being able to afford any editing software so for now, that is my software to use.

katie75 said:
Windows Movie Maker. Im still quite a ways off from being able to afford any editing software so for now, that is my software to use.

You should really ditch Movie Maker as soon as possible.  There are free options that are miles ahead of that software. Maybe give Lightworks a spin:

https://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_lwks&view=download&Itemid=206&tab=0

We've also begun listing good tools for faneditors on our website (the list still a work in progress): http://www.fanedit.org/fanediting-tools/

ThrowgnCpr said:
katie75 said:
Windows Movie Maker. Im still quite a ways off from being able to afford any editing software so for now, that is my software to use.

You should really ditch Movie Maker as soon as possible.  There are free options that are miles ahead of that software. Maybe give Lightworks a spin:

https://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_lwks&view=download&Itemid=206&tab=0

We've also begun listing good tools for faneditors on our website (the list still a work in progress): http://www.fanedit.org/fanediting-tools/

Thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely look into those as soon as I can! :D

Once again, thanks for the advice all! Ive been a bit busy with various things since I finished this edit &, after watching it a couple more times myself, I plan to go back & switch it up & change it a bit again *insert George Lucas Special Edition jokes here*

Im going to redo the crawl to slow the speed down.
Im dumping the cargo ejection scene altogether.
Im going to see what I can do about the audio as well.

Ive already started planning my next few editing projects. The first two will be fanfilms again. First up will be the X-Men fanfilm Rain (Im just going to hijack my previous post for the thread). Next up will be The Hunger Games Weeping Willow fanfilm (again, I will just hijack my original post for that thread).

My third project will be a bit unique tho, as im going to attempt to create a new film using various existing footage. Basically, I want to try to take a crack at doing the first issue of Star Wars Vader Down, using the comic as storyboards & existing footage for the film itself. It is way over ambitious & Im not really expecting it to work at all, but hey, a girl has gotta try anyway lol

Thanks to everyone for the interest in my first edit project & I will post any updated changes to this film in this thread :)

Hey there, Katie! You sent me a message ages ago, but I never got around to watching the edit until today (sorry!) and then I was having trouble hearing it because of the sound issues. (It doesn't help that it's sweltering hot here, and we have on a bunch of fans and A/C units. But even when I cranked the volume, I was still having problems.) 

I'm still excited about the idea behind this edit, and I would definitely give this a watch if you tried another pass at the sound. Otherwise, I might have to wait for a less warm day to try again. :)

I also like your other ideas. For the X-Men and Hunger Games films, are you planning to add in the scores from those respective franchises as you did with Star Wars?

Hi TomH1138! Yes I am definitely going to see what I can do with the sound on this film to try & augment it or something. Im considering isolating the audio on the film, music & dialogue, & then run it thru Acid Studio, a program I purchased years ago for primarily recording with my guitar. I think it should be able to handle sound mixing on the film too tho.

As for both X-Men Rain & The Hunger Games Weeping Willow, Im certainly looking at if any film score from the big budget X-Men films can be incorprated into those films, but Im still in the tentative planning stages with both films, mostly reviewing them both to see what can be added in & where in a way that isnt unobtrusive. Havent seen any reason to edit anything from these films much, but more add & augment more to give them more of a closer feel to the big screen films they were inspired from.

Im finding that Im enjoying editing fan films, as it is giving me more room to play with, more to add in & more opportunities to bring decent fan made films closer to what the bigger films feel like. I also eventually want to tackle a couple of Batman fanfilms, primarily City Of Scars first, as well as head back to a few more Star Wars fanfilms again. With Batman City Of Scars, Im wanting to create & shoot an entirely new opening sequence similar to the oening credits of 1989s Batman by Tim Burton. 

Doing this edit has really opened the floodgates for me for ideas with other fanfilms now, & I tend to watch & rewatch them now from a fan editor point of view now lol

Quick update - I have figured out how to fix the opening crawl speed to be slower, so my focus now is on the audio & increasing the volume, as well as dealing with the audio gaps etc...

You can use audacity and run an amplify and/or normalizer plugin to raise the volume. If you have the ffmeg plugin for audacity you can just drag and drop your video file into the timeline and it will transcode it into an audio file for you. I can help too if needed.

Quick update. As we all know life has a way of pushing its way ahead of projects, so Ive had the past few months shift my focus from this edit to family & health issues. Started back at things today with audio rehabilitation & remixing. Hoping to have this completed soon but Ive pretty much taken the attitude that things go at their own pace lol I will post the film again after Im finally done tho

Welcome back katie75. Hope all is well with family and health. Things do go at their own pace (had to put my own edit on hiatus for awhile). We'll be here to support along the way. Jackpumpkinhead over at OT.com made a revisited version of my crawl creator that you may be interested in. It has the background and logo integrated into it. I'll pm you the file. Welcome back!

waiting for the sequel, 75th katie: rogue redemption.

Im debating just simply going back to the original source file & simply re editing the film again in order to resolve audio issues. Might be quicker & easier really, esp since i now know where all the cuts & additions fall within the film.

Thanks so much for the heads up on your PM & idea, i will def check that out!

Ok, I have ALL the film re edited, new audio mix & I am sitting down now to start on the end credits sequence" I will delete the previous link above to the flm & upload a new link when I am finished :)

All right, here we are. Here is the film edit, with improved audio! Enjoy & any feedback is welcome!

Back
Top Bottom