• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

star wars sequal trilogy rant

fastng

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ya'll complain force awakens is just a new hope that nothing is different then complain when the last jedi does something different

if you watch return of the jedi, luke WAS GOING TO KILL VADER until palpatine opened his big mouth that snapped luke out of it

luke is not this infallible character that does no wrong etc etc. the last jedi ACTUALLY understands luke's character, it's completely understandable why he secluded himself after messing up with kylo that his character development at the end was great

there's no pleasing star wars fans. one second ya'll hate the prequels then love them. one second ya'll hate ahsoka then love her

from the cash grab the sequel trilogy was, last jedi was the best but rise of skywalker backpedaled to appease ya'll ruining anakin's legacy in the process

last jedi was great and an actual film.

tbh I didn't even watch the third one in Rey's trilogy, and I'm glad I didn't after hearing about the lame bad guy "twist".

I tried the first one, had a cool trailer and some hardcore Star Wars fans seemed to review it well, and it was just straight-up cribbed from the original trilogy, and every part they changed was worse, particularly the rather magical unearned force awakening in the middle of a lightsaber duel. George at least knew how to develop his characters properly. Then the second one they managed to write a new script and completely botch it with a cast of unlikable characters and weird new mechanics that break the previous lore.

I really don't understand why they mishandled it so badly - it's the main franchise that they paid a huge amount of money for, you'd think they'd have the best writers on the job. Instead you have stuff like Rogue One or Mandalorian that knocked it out of the park in comparison. It isn't as if a proper Hero's Journey story structure is that hard to craft so it's mystifying why a corporation so well versed in lore and universe building as Disney couldn't manage to replicate Lucas' style with fresh material.

But hey, what do I know, for how much you seem to hate star wars fans your references indicate you're a way bigger star wars nerd than I am.

Though I’m not sure this needed its own thread, I don’t disagree with much of it. The other aspect of Luke is that he wasn’t some completely selfless person; he needed to save Vader or be lost himself. This was a very Frodo/Gollum relationship. My issues with TLJ were elsewhere, it wasn’t with the Luke arc.

tbh I didn't even watch the third one in Rey's trilogy, and I'm glad I didn't after hearing about the lame bad guy "twist".

I tried the first one, had a cool trailer and some hardcore Star Wars fans seemed to review it well, and it was just straight-up cribbed from the original trilogy, and every part they changed was worse, particularly the rather magical unearned force awakening in the middle of a lightsaber duel. George at least knew how to develop his characters properly. Then the second one they managed to write a new script and completely botch it with a cast of unlikable characters and weird new mechanics that break the previous lore.

I really don't understand why they mishandled it so badly - it's the main franchise that they paid a huge amount of money for, you'd think they'd have the best writers on the job. Instead you have stuff like Rogue One or Mandalorian that knocked it out of the park in comparison. It isn't as if a proper Hero's Journey story structure is that hard to craft so it's mystifying why a corporation so well versed in lore and universe building as Disney couldn't manage to replicate Lucas' style with fresh material.

But hey, what do I know, for how much you seem to hate star wars fans your references indicate you're a way bigger star wars nerd than I am.
As much as I feel the first two movies had flaws—big flaws—the real damage to the series was done in not following through on the promise of TLJ, in my opinion. If you carried that through and Ben/Kylo is irredeemable, then you don’t need another big baddie. The theme of him trying to claim the force (for lack of a better description) due to his bloodline but being ultimately defeated by, not just Rey Nobody, but an army of nobodies because the Force belongs to everyone could’ve really worked and tied the big ideas Lucas was toying with all together. But it would’ve required a headier, more serious film and I’m not sure that’s the box office recipe they were hoping for.

The Star Wars sequel trilogy is the defination of what happens when people with completely different creative ideas work together to try (and in my opinion, completely fail) to make something cohesive.

Yeah I think if they stuck the landing it would have been alright. Not great, but they could have course corrected and gotten more people on board if the third one was awesome and bold and new. My only problem with TLJ was it felt long. I thought it did more to set up possibilities for Star Wars going forward than any other movie since Empire, specifically a path for the franchise without the Skywalker family required to be the protagonists and antagonists and the Emperor pulling strings. Then they made Return of the Skywalkers. I mean Revenge of the Skywalkers. I mean Rey of the Skywalkers. I mean Rise of the Skywalkers. Oh and "somehow" the Emperor "returned" again too. Time to go around the poetry circle again.

TROS is my favorite of the trilogy, I just think it's fun. TLJ has some neat bits, I'm not the biggest fan but I don't care enough to complain anymore. AOTC is arguably my favorite Star War, and I know that's wrong but I just like it.
Conversations about the ST tend to devolve into toxicity from what I've seen, so I just want to preemptively say, please don't let this thread get out of hand folks.

The way Star Wars is right now is problematic due to the fact there is no passionate creator. There's a bunch of executives trying to make money. To make it worse, they threw out the backstories provided by Lucas. I'm not about to say that Lucas was perfect or that I agree with every one of his ideas, but he created this universe and made it what it is. By going off and completely ignoring his ideas, we just end up with inconsistent stories with conflicting ideals.
I like some of the ideas and parts of the sequel trilogy and some elements of the TV shows, but they don't have a soul anymore. The closest thing is now Dave Filoni but he is only really making good stuff when constrained by the pre-existing stories done by Lucas. My opinion of course.

Back
Top Bottom