• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars quality glitches/editions?

unfair

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm hoping, given the amount of Star Wars fanedits, that someone might know if this glitch I'm seeing is specific to only a certain generation of A New Hope, or if it's been there from the start. Tried to google around a bit and couldn't find any references to it.

In A New Hope, the scene where Vader walks in through the smoke (roughly 4min 30 seconds in), there are a couple issues - one with the helmet of the stormtrooper who enters behind him, even in the bluray it looks like massively bad artifacting from a poor encode, but it's in the bluray itself. Second, as Vader stands there in the hallway swinging his cape around, there's a weird strip of blur around the edge of his cape as it moves, you can see it most prominently in the legs of the stormtroopers next to him as it passes over them.

I would have thought with all the remasters Lucas did he wouldn't leave such obvious flaws in, but maybe they're an artifact of him trying to fix the way the cape flows or something. Any help on if it's been that way from the start would be appreciated.

Including this video in hopes it will explain the issue better, although it's easier to see on a source that hasn't been encoded, obviously: http://bestedit.net/trailer/Star.Wars.1999.Trailer.1080p.webm

Watch the helmets of the storm troopers as they round the corner behind Vader at 22 seconds, weird blocky distortion, and then watch the edge of his cape along the legs of the troopers standing still, it's especially apparent on the trooper directly outside the door to the left at 25-30 seconds timecode in this trailer.

I was testing encoding quality settings and thought I had messed them up at first, then realized it was the source bluray that had the quality issues. Just curious if it's in all versions or if it happened in a remaster somewhere along Lucas' many revisions.

Just in case anyone stumbles across this in the future with the same question - I took a look at 4k77 no-DNR and the blur artifact around the cape is definitely not present, so that was added somewhere in between the film and one or all of the bluray releases. It's amazing how clear the bluray is compared to 4k77 1.4 though, the 35mm has massive amounts of grain and noise by comparison.

I suspect that's where the distortion of the storm trooper helmets in the background comes from - Lucas may have artificially cleaned up the clear parts of scenes but weren't able to do so with those guys in the haze. And given the amount of noise on their faces once you encode/compress it you'd get the sort of messy artifacts I was seeing on the bluray.

So while I'm still curious if all versions of the bluray have the cape border blur, or if it was added in a late remaster, my question is mostly answered at this point.

Back
Top Bottom