• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars Overdone?

CineSleaze

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was thinking about it and do you all think that Star Wars fan edits are overdone? It seems like the obvious edit many people gravitate to trying out. Like are there even any more things that could be done with Star Wars?

That's nothing now. Ten years ago one out of every three edits was of the Star Wars prequels. But I guess a fresh approach is always possible. The movies have been grindhoused, vintageized, made silent, Tarantinomixed, turned metal, made ridiculous, and no doubt new ideas will keep coming. It's not where you start from, it's where you ultimately get.

I was thinking about it and do you all think that Star Wars fan edits are overdone? It seems like the obvious edit many people gravitate to trying out. Like are there even any more things that could be done with Star Wars?
I mean I'm pretty new to this fan edit thing but it was star wars edits I discovered that got me into all this, I've done a few of my own that I may or may not release but I think that any type of star wars edit is cool depending on the idea, I'd argue more that the base star wars is overdone, what with all the shows and movies there doing when it should've honestly ended a long time ago imo 😞

No, the Star War is not overdone. And I say this because, like the first person to respond said, there have been a multitude of original ideas fanmixing the films. The only limit to a fanmix is your imagination. I myself have a very exciting project that I know is not on IFDB nor have I seen it anywhere else, so I’m super excited to make that project. So yeah, to infinity and beyond with the Star War!

People have so much love for the original trilogy, and the sequels leave so much to be desired. It makes sens that people would want to bring them up to the same standard.

Given that a lot of fanediting in its current form was kickstarted by the Phantom Edit, it makes a certain amount of sense that SW fans in particular have gravitated towards the hobby.

Personally, I'm largely uninterested in SW and at this point feel mild antipathy to the franchise - to me, at this point it mainly represents opportunity cost that prevents other more interesting projects from existing. But I also recognise that I'm a minority in that sense, so generally I just ignore SW-related edits.

so generally I just ignore SW-related edits.

Same here.

I watched Adywan's SW revisited once, but later decided it is similar thing to LUcas' Special Editions, and I prefer SW in its original form so only interested in Harmy's Despecialized Editions and restoration projects like 4K77 and 4K83, and, of course the War of the Stars. But I'm not Star Wars fan (never watched anything SW related beside theatrical movies, and didn't even finish sequel trilogy (after the abomination the Last Jedi was I've lost whole interest in it).

I think large groups of people can get tired of the wave of edits, and even get put off trying to watch any given the shear volume of them, but as far as will this tide ever be stopped?

No.

This well will likely never run dry because of the particular perfect storm that is Star Wars, and the Prequels in particular;

If you grew up during the 70s and 80s, chances are you loved Star Wars. Chances are also pretty good that you had Star Wars toys who's very commercials encouraged children to create unlimited story possibilities with their toys and action figures, and boy, did we ever, for countless hours.

Star Wars further enticed us by famously being the middle 3 chapters, which themselves referenced mysterious events before hand, and in those intervening years between Return of the Jedi and the Thrawn trilogy, all we really had was our imaginations.. limitless.. and we all created stories, theories, hopes.. and so-on (further enabled by the toys and action figures).

Whether you love the PT or hate the PT or are somewhere in the middle, one thing is universally true, they are inescapably NOT what any single one of us imagined. Millions of fans dreamed up millions of ways the first 3 chapters would play out and Lucas had the impossible task of telling a story HE wanted to millions of people who'd spent a decade dreaming of their own. While there is much love for them now (and even more appreciation since the ST came out), it is what it is.

With the availability of professional quality editing software and Mike Nichols showing us what could be done with the Phantom Edit.. I don't see there ever being an end to it, it will never tap out. Interest in watching them may dwindle, but the desire to create the version that *You* want.. people will never tire of making them because ultimately each fanedit of the PT is a deeply personal vision of the editor, and people will keep making them because while there are many edits which are considered 'some of the best' there will always be people for whom those lauded edits just don't do it.

My edits are loved by a lot of people, and I've been told by many that they are their 'go-to' versions, that those are the ones that their children will see when introduced (the single biggest compliment ever). And there are those that think my edits are terrible, didn't care for creative choices, that I left things in, or took things out.. I even had someone literally say I did something incorrectly, that it was wrong. Some people like a lot of my edit, but think things could be better by making changes.. or that some parts were done better by other editors, and so some have incorporated ideas I used in their own edits, heck I think people have literally taken my edit and edited with other edits to create their own super edits!

That's what we do with SW more than any other IP, we make it our own.. I like how this guy did that, I like how this guy did that... I have this original idea of my own and so-on.. add in the brilliant and crazy way people shift things as Dwight said, from Grindhouse to Tarintino'd to Rediculoused and the many more concepts to come..

Then on top of it, we now have a never-ending supply of new content for editors to work on.. new content creates opportunity for new ideas, new approaches.. sometimes because the content itself just is lacking (Looking at you Sequel Trilogy) or because the new content offers a new perspective or framing possibility.

But after all of that, I also don't blame people who personally just tire of new SW edits.. all I suggest is, shrug and look the other way, fortunately there are tons of non-Star Wars edits to feast on.

It's overdone, but I think any new SW edit is great because of how different each and every one of them are. 3 in 1's, normal fanfixes, radical edits like Pulp Empire, etc. It's likely that they'll give someone a new experience every rewatch which is great for keeping the saga fresh.

Last edited:
There are indeed a lot of Star Wars edits, but only one or two RotJ trims, and the field therefore won't be "overdone" until someone (maybe even me someday) makes my Rebirth of the Jedi edit, or something much like it. ;)

I think everyone wants to have a stab at Star Wars because what makes Star Wars "Star Wars" to each individual fan is completely different.

Some people are all about the Jedi and the mysticism. Some like the swashbuckling adventure side. Some like the scoundrels, bounty hunters, and underworld elements. Some even like the politics. Some are all about the characters, storytelling, and humor.

To George Lucas, Star Wars was clearly about the Jedi, the Force, and the politics of warring factions in space. So that's what he made the PT to be, and many people didn't agree with that feeling like Star Wars.

Part of the reason there's such a wide gamut of reactions to the PT and ST is that some fans find it doesn't "feel like Star Wars". Which is valid, but is also really subjective. Personally, of the non-OT stuff to come out I find The Mandalorian and Last Jedi to feel the most Star Wars to me, but there's others that will hate one or both of those things because it doesn't feel like Star Wars to them.

TLDR: There are so many edits of Star Wars PT/ST because there's no clear answer on how to "fix" it, because Star Wars means something different to everyone.

Last edited:
Overdone YES! but that doesn't mean people shouldn't create the right star wars edit for themselves. There is SO much source material available now that anyone with some level of creativity can significant alter the original.

I've learnt more new skills working with other editor on star wars projects than any other franchise. Its the perfect source material for any level editor, imo.

I guess it is over-done to an extent, but it speaks to the enormous cultural impact of the brand that our niche has crossed over with it so often. As said already, there's always a fresh take, so I don't think there can be too many. I wonder if Lucas' Special Editions accidentally opened the door for fan editing, because they were such a high profile instance of someone changing a film post-release.

Despite my avi, I'm pretty sick of Star Wars by now. Disney have managed to gradually sap my enthusiasm through sheer mediocrity. I was one of the chumps that quite liked TLJ, and TROS effectively punished me for doing so.

I would argue that star wars is not nearly done enough when it comes to people who aren't really fans of the original trilogy. I personally can respect what these films have done, but a new hope has always sent me to sleep. My desire to edit star wars is borne out of a desire to realise the potential of the story and present it in a way that is more palatable to people like me. as such, my type of edit would not be respectful to the original movie and could be rather aggressive and transformative. I feel like not many people do that sort of thing, so there is always room for more.

Reading the title "Star Wars: Overdone" made me think of a parody edit that could be made. Each time there is a "rhyme" use a different scene or switch to that rhyming character's story. Do this over and over until you come to some kind of conclusion. the overdone would reference that amount of times the same themes/plot points/character arcs are reused....

Have to agree that they are overdone. I’d say about 40% of all edits are Star Wars. Wish there was more love given to the 60s era of French and Italian films…bloat tended to be a real issue in otherwise great films back then.

Star Wars is eternal. You can't overdue that which is infinite. At the end of the universe is a forgotten VHS tape of the Phantom Edit that hasn't been rewound. At the end of the tape are 4,000 prequel edits you must watch in quick succession if you are to make it beyond the Star Wars edits.

Star Wars edits are like self portraits for artists. Most artists end up making one, it's almost like a rite of passage. Even if you never start one I'm sure every editor has an idea for how it would go. As an established faneditor I have started not one but two Star Wars edits:

Star Wars: Knights of the Republic
Star Wars: Ashes of the Empire

The first had been mothballed due to my frustrations with the source material and it's problematic handling of racial stereotypes but I have since found a solution to that issue. The core idea of the edit was to present a Mandalorian-style episode length edit of the Phantom Menace as a sort of lost episode from a Star Wars series.

The second edit seeks to create a fanmix of the sequel trilogy films thst produces a single epilogue for the original trilogy. A sort of passing of the torch that highlights the cyclical nature of the franchise and it's themes.

I haven't seen either idea attempted elsewhere and I feel that answers the OP's question. If I have had two new ideas for Star Wars edits then I'm certain other editors will have equally novel ideas. So overdone? No, I think there's plenty more fun ideas waiting to be expressed.

That said I will concede that I am less interested in the myriad edits that make "subtle" changes. I appreciate the importance of an editor's freedom to express their personal taste but usually these changes amount to something inconsequential and uninteresting for me. Yes yes you altered the colour grade, oh good you added an additional R2D2 bleep, oh look you removed one line of dialogue. These edits have their place but I very rarely seek them out.

I've had an idea for a fanedit combining Empire and Jedi for quite sometime. It would involve removing Luke from Hoth and having him already in training on Dagobah from the start. It also involved the rescue of Han starting right after the Cloud City action. Luke would not attend the Briefing in Jedi, but would directly surrender himself to Vader. I had some ways figured out to almost completely remove the Teddy bears. The action on Endor would be minimal, basically just a rout of the Imperial base. Leia would not be Luke's sister. I had worked out narrative edits that would accomplish these goals and I'm sure I could work them all out again. I stepped away from fanedit work and this site several years ago, when my computer was broken. I never really replaced it, so no fanediting. I still only use a Chromebook, so nothing planned in the near future. If anyone would like to attempt this edit, I would be glad to reconstruct my cutlist. So, in my mind, yes there is one more Star Wars edit left to do.

If all we’d gotten all along were different permutations of the same idea, fanfixing the prequels, then probably. But I think Star Wars is so ripe for ideas that many of them are interesting to toss around if not actually watch.

But in my work on a version of the Skywalker Saga (or set of three trilogies with slightly different editing sensibilities), I’ve said that I felt like a Brothers Grimm who looks at the variations of a story out there and traces down the lineage of ideas in order to lay down an interpretation that tries to incorporate the majority voice, with some exceptions. It’s a little like wading through a textual history of variation and what stories have had organically happen to them throughout history, before films and before copyright.

Back
Top Bottom