• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi - The Spence Edit

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, it's been more than a year since this show finished, so I guess it's time to talk about this!

I liked the concept of bringing back Obi-Wan to see what he was up to between Episodes 3 and 4. However, like Falcon and the Winter Soldier, this was clearly originally conceptualized as a movie that was stretched to a 6-part series to provide content for Disney+. As a show, it's disappointing. It's inert and oddly paced, and lacks that swashbuckling adventure vibe that makes Star Wars Star Wars.

By trimming the story down to a more manageable 2 hours and 25 minutes (admittedly still a bit long for a Star Wars film, but cutting it further would've been to the detriment of the project) the story comes to life.

The big stuff:

- The edit runs roughly 2 hours 25 minutes.
- Reva is still there, but the last we see of her is getting stabbed on Jabim. It’s implied that she’s dead, but left ambiguous enough that she could show up for further adventures. The whole Lars farmstead sequence is excised.
- I cut the training duel flashback, and many other instances of seeing Vader out of the suit. The only time I kept was when he and Kenobi are both in their bacta tanks. I think holding off on showing Anakin makes the broken helmet moment stronger. It also screams of “scene that was cool that we cut that we can now add back in because it’s a series”
- I removed the initial Order 66 flashback, keeping Reva’s motivations less obvious.

Smaller details:
- I didn't keep a detailed cutlist while working on this, but basically every scene has been edited in some way.
- I kept my eye on pacing and making this feel like an actual movie with a three act structure. There are huge chunks cut, but also more subtle changes that just trim a line or even a few seconds from a scene.
- A few, very selective scenes bring in some original Star Wars music. I didn’t want to go too heavy on this, but Leia’s theme, Imperial March, the Force theme, and Battle of the Heroes make appearances.
- Selectively added some Gradient wipes as scene transitions.
- Episode 2 probably gets the most cuts. The entire rooftop sequence is excised, and Reva never puts the bounty out on Kenobi. It can be implied through other dialogue that the Inquisitors put the city on lockdown and have people looking for them. Almost every scene in this section got a little trim.
- The first Vader duel got some trims for pacing, and to minimize the silliness of Kenobi running away a bunch of times.
- The rescue from the castle is also heavily trimmed, and Kenobi does not find the frozen bodies. I thought that was cool, but it doesn’t go anywhere with regard to the rest of the plot.
- Tala’s scene with Reva is also much shorter. She doesn’t try to play the double agent card.
- The battle on Jabim is much tighter. It doesn’t feel like the Stormtroopers miss a million easy shots anymore.
- Kenobi’s decision to leave the rebels and lure Vader happens a bit faster to keep the pace high.
- There are some trims to the big duel. But they were mainly to make the scene flow together well after cutting Reva stuff.
- I added the standard Star Wars end credits music.

This has been submitted to IFDB.

I was wondering if we were going to start seeing Kenobi edits. This sounds like something I’d like to check out. I was in the minority of people who liked the idea of the Reva character. I just didn’t think it was executed well, through no fault of the actor. I felt it should’ve been made obvious to the audience who she was from the beginning. I think the mirrored PTSD with her and Obi Wan could’ve been powerful. But by far the biggest issues were the stretched out narrative and a handful of set pieces that simply seemed amateurish. I’ve got a week before the summer kicks into full gear and I won’t have time to watch much, but I’ll try to give this a watch this week.

The "Patterson" cut had a similar objective (6 -> 2.5). I've seen it, but it was still pretty underwhelming for me. It was shorter, but still felt sterile and just...flat.

I remember being excited when I heard they were going to use The Volume for Kenobi, but something was lost in the execution after The Mandalorian. It's like they got lazy with it, or something. I got the sense there were some cool tricks being done for Mando to get the most out of the tech, but with Kenobi it's all so static and minimum-effort.

I'm excited to see your take on this Spence...Especially if you don't send me an email every month with a link to your donation page.*

-------

*Like that other guy.

The "Patterson" cut had a similar objective (6 -> 2.5). I've seen it, but it was still pretty underwhelming for me. It was shorter, but still felt sterile and just...flat.

I remember being excited when I heard they were going to use The Volume for Kenobi, but something was lost in the execution after The Mandalorian. It's like they got lazy with it, or something. I got the sense there were some cool tricks being done for Mando to get the most out of the tech, but with Kenobi it's all so static and minimum-effort.

I'm excited to see your take on this Spence...Especially if you don't send me an email every month with a link to your donation page.*

-------

*Like that other guy.
I think the Patterson cut did a great job of pairing everything down. The main difference between that and mine is the pacing.

Is the Patterson cut the one that added a bunch of vfx? I saw a trailer for something a while back and I think I may have even mentioned it in the show thread, but I never sought it out.

Is the Patterson cut the one that added a bunch of vfx? I saw a trailer for something a while back and I think I may have even mentioned it in the show thread, but I never sought it out.
No, that's the one by PixelJoker, which has yet to release. Looks cool though!

would you consider releasing the v3 of your edit in a BD-25 friendly format (ie slightly smaller) ? I tried to shrink it and got artifacts 3 times...

Last edited:
It looks like this isn’t quite up yet at the database for an official review. I’ll post over there when available, but want to get my thoughts out while fresh.

This goes a long ways towards making this a solid SW entry. I still feel it is overlong and feels like it has an act 2a and 2b. If the whole of the “water pyramid” setting (I don’t remember what it is really called) could be excised it would go a long way. But I understand why it’s needed narratively. Thankfully it is mercifully brief here. I still feel some of the action is amateurish and a lot of it is in the water pyramid. The Vader/Reva duel is pretty bad and I wondered if some quick cuts could strengthen it. Speaking of Reva, I still think her backstory should be revealed very early. I feel that would make her arc much stronger. The final act works really well though and the music cues really add to it. Overall it’s a solid B+ SW movie IMO, which is a huge improvement from a very uneven series. And that’s coming from someone with almost zero investment in the prequel era. Nice work, @spence!

I've seen this and it's easily the best of the Kenobi edits. Bonus points for having English subtitles.

Absolutely recommend checking this out.

Just a heads up there is a typo in the IFDB entry for this edit, it says Obi-Want Kenobi.

I recall watching this edit a few months ago before it was allowed to be listed here, and while I do not have any specific thoughts at the moment I do recall enjoying it quite a bit. There are some good parts that are lost due to the sheer amount of time that had to be cut, but this edit presents a streamlined alternative to watching the entire six episodes

I saw this before there was even a second version and it was near seamless then so I can only imagine it's gotten crisper with revision. Definitely the closest thing to what should have been a decent movie. Great job.

Glad that this is up. Once Spence gets his Prequel edits on IFDB, I'll knock all four out in a weekend.

I don't know how I didn't notice this before since I’ve watched this edit a couple times, but I just wanted to make sure you were aware that, at least in the copy I have, the screen cuts to black for a split second at 1:29:49. Not sure if this was intentional.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom