• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars IV - Edition Comparison, Please?

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It has probably been asked to death. If so, then welcome to the afterlife! :oops:

As you all know, there are dozens of SW IV edits out there... far too many for a fan to watch back to back and keep his sanity. But I am sure that each has its benefits and drawbacks, so that is why I am hoping for a few words on what makes each of these versions different/special or if any of them are not worth dealing with. I currently have:
* Despecialized Edition
* Silver Screen Edition
* Special Edition Revisited (which I see is the top voted version on this site)
and I just discovered 4K77, so I have not collected it yet.

My main criteria is restoration of the look/feel of the theatrical version at higher quality. I can accept some script changes, added/deleted scenes to some degree, and so on as long as I am made aware, but again, the issue is that I have no idea which is truest to my wants or are there story elements in one version so good that I would be foolish to miss out? Are there other great version that I should consider? Is one version great in some ways and terrible in others enough to be a turn off? [Insert another random quality question here]?

(As often as Lucas released new versions of his "never finished" film, I wouldn't have been surprised if, given enough time, he would have found a way to incorporate Jar Jar as a major character and midi-chlorians into SW IV.)

I mean I’m far from an expert here, but I’d say if you want theatrical then it is Harmy’s or the 4K77 (which I haven’t seen but I assume is just 4K version of Harmy’s). If you want special edition type updates than Adywan is the way to go. I believe everything else is just personal preference edits based off of those two templates. But someone more knowledgeable than me should chime in and correct me if I’m wrong.

Last edited:
I mean I’m far from an expert here, but I’d say if you want theatrical then it is Harmy’s or the 4K77 (which I haven’t seen but I assume is just 4K version of Harmy’s). If you want special edition type updates than Adywan is the way to go. I believe everything else is just personal preference edits based off of those two templates. But someone more knowledgeable than me should chime in and correct me if I’m wrong.

Quick correction: 4K77 (and 4K80 & 83) are actual film scans and, as far as I know have not been digitally altered minus probably color correction.

The Despecialized Editions are an extensive effort to create the version of the theatricals as close to official quality as possible (so their main sources are the 2011 & 2019 Blu-Rays, with other sources like I think Puggo Grande, previously, the GOUT, and now 4K77/80/83 instead—however, only RotJ has been updated with the new sources so far with its v3.0/3.1). And there are some digital alterations like slight DNR, sharpening, etc. (nothing to excessive) to bring it closer to the standard of the Blu-Rays. Hope that was a good summary!

EDIT: Should this thread be in Fanedit Comparisons?

Cool. Could you speak practically in layman’s terms as the difference between Despecialized and 4K77.

Cool. Could you speak practically in layman’s terms as the difference between Despecialized and 4K77.
Hmmm

One of them is a film reel scanned in 4K,
The other is a combination of different sources to make a modern release-adjacent version

I tried 😁

Hmmm

One of them is a film reel scanned in 4K,
The other is a combination of different sources to make a modern release-adjacent version

I tried 😁
How do they compare visually? Is one more accepted as the standard bearer? Is there a reason to download the other of you already have one?

Thank you for moving my topic. I hate accidentally posting in the wrong place.

Last edited:
Harmy’s despecialized is what got me into fan editing in the first place! Definitely check those out. The 4k projects from TN1 are more authentic technically (and just as awesome).

Any advice on the Silver Screen Edition? It looks faded but interesting, but from what I am attempting to research, it sounds like an early-tech version of 4K77 (which I still haven't viewed.)

other sources like I think Puggo Grande, previously, the GOUT
What are these and does it matter concerning my questions?

Harmy’s despecialized is what got me into fan editing in the first place
Same here.

Any advice on the Silver Screen Edition? It looks faded but interesting, but from what I am attempting to research, it sounds like an early-tech version of 4K77 (which I still haven't viewed.)

More or less correct. SSE is, afaik, outdated, but I’m open to being corrected.

What are these and does it matter concerning my questions?

They’re just some of the many sources that Harmy uses. Puggo Grande is an old 16mm film reel of Star Wars (from a foreign country I think) and GOUT (which stands for George’s Original Unaltered Trilogy) is the 2006 DVD which was paired as a bonus disc with the 2004 special edition DVDs. Until the SSE/4K77, GOUT and Puggo Grande were the (relatively) best sources for the theatrical versions available. Even then GOUT was seen as a lazy release for being an unmastered, blurry scan. Not sure about Puggo Grande but I assume there’s only so much you can do with an old 16mm scan.

Even then GOUT was seen as a lazy release for being an unmastered, blurry scan
I remember that (but obviously did not know a name for it.)

Fans: "He's finally doing it! He's finally releasing the original theatrical version after years of saying he would never do it! We will finally get to watch it in HD!"
... a few months later ...
Same fans: "What is this crap?!"

(I have several words to say about the man's self-serving personality, but that is a discussion for another topic that would probably get me banned.)

Not to self promote (proceeds to self promote but not for selfish reasons just in case you might enjoy something like this) my version is mostly the theatrical 'cut', using the blurays as a base but all of the lightsaber blades and blaster shots have been reanimated to match the rest of the saga, and a few other misc vfx touch ups and fixing of errors and a new color grade.

But it's basically the theatrical 'cut' with visual upgrades. Some new, some special edition recomps or touch ups are kept when they aren't distracting or look bad and it's mostly the theatrical timing. No extended cgi shots of stormtroopers riding the rhontos, however the rhontos in the background do move now instead of being static but it's timed to the theatrical. Mos eisley is mostly the original version, a few special edition shots remain if it's just something like the creatures in the background moving instead of being static but none of the crap in the special edition version like the extended slap stick intro or that stupid creature that walks in front of the camera. It's edited to the theatrical cut but with some new visuals. Obviously han shoots first and no jabba scene. I did keep the biggs scene at the end.

So it's mostly the theatrical cut with a few small alterations either to fit in the saga better (and don't worry they are very small) or to fix minor errors. Obi wans line "I don't seem to remember ever owning a droid" is cut because he clearly did in the prequels, but if you don't care about that I didn't think that one line being removed really takes much away from the movie. And in obi wans hut he says "I wanted you to have this when you were old enough" instead of "your father wanted you...". (I think Hal9000 did this as well) That's about it though I think for stuff like that. I also fixed an editing error later where Vader says a line and then when he's done he continues to gesture for a second like he's still silent and the timing is really weird. I fixed that by replacing the shot with closeup of vaders face and shortening it for timing.

In the death Star battle above yavin there are minor dialog changes (Luke says blast it Wedge where are you instead of biggs because it makes more sense, and when biggs gets shot down Luke yells his name over the comm. Taken from the radio drama). Original death Star explosion.

Custom sound mix. Content is pretty much original version just enhanced a bit for better sound quality.

Only went into such detail because you Said you would like to know beforehand what was in it.

Not to self promote (proceeds to self promote but not for selfish reasons just in case you might enjoy something like this)
As long as the mods are fine with it, promote away! Going in blind, I need all of the help that I can get. Even if it is self-serving, as long as it is true, knowledge is always welcome.

Back
Top Bottom