• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars Episode VII - The Force Awakens (NON-SPOILER)

I'm not really sold by the argument from the Guillermo del Toro camp, but his work on Hellboy and Pan's Labyrinth show he is a huge fan of practical effects and puppets. He was a makeup designer for 10 years.

George Lucas: It was always meant as one story, one big epic story......and now I need more money.

Heh. That's what I thought, too, but apparently he's donating all of his money from this sale to education. ALL of it.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/02/george-lucas-donate-4-billion_n_2067145.html

My hats off to him. I don't know if I'd be able to do the same thing in his place.

I would start watching Clone Wars if I knew where to start.

Start with the 2003 animated series by Genndy Tartakovsky. Vols. 1 and 2 are available on DVD.

And then . . . and then . . . well, actually, that's it. Having seen the movie and the TV show myself, I'll say you're better off just pretending that none of that exists.
:)

I just thought it was pretty funny as most of you are pointing to Ben Bird as a potential director of SW7.

Actually, it's Brad Bird, not Ben--although now I picture him thoughtfully stroking his chin and saying, "Brad Bird. Brad. Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. Long time."
:p

But hang on -I thought half his payment was in shares in Disney?

TOM : It must be very tiring commenting on every single comment made in a thread ? :p

Disney claims they will be buying the shares back within the next two years. Lucas probably has quite a bit of money in the bank. Currently Lucas is the second biggest Disney shareholder after the Jobs Estate. I have a feeling he wont be giving all 4b at once. Or if he did, a lot of it would be cash out of his pocket.

He is also chairman of http://www.edutopia.org/, so it could just be giving money to himself.

TomH1138 said:
George Lucas: It was always meant as one story, one big epic story......and now I need more money.

Heh. That's what I thought, too, but apparently he's donating all of his money from this sale to education. ALL of it.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/02/george-lucas-donate-4-billion_n_2067145.html

My hats off to him. I don't know if I'd be able to do the same thing in his place.

well if that is the case, my apologize to George. You might be the chosen one after all who will bring balance to the force. Just turned evil there for a while...

wabid said:
Disney claims they will be buying the shares back within the next two years. Lucas probably has quite a bit of money in the bank. Currently Lucas is the second biggest Disney shareholder after the Jobs Estate. I have a feeling he wont be giving all 4b at once. Or if he did, a lot of it would be cash out of his pocket.

He is also chairman of http://www.edutopia.org/, so it could just be giving money to himself.

To clarify: http://www.businessweek.com/videos/2012-10-30/disney-issues-40-million-shares-to-george-lucas.

$2 billion in Disney shares. $2 billion cash. Lucas now 10th largest Disney shareholder. He has most definitely given up majority power for the future of the franchise.

geminigod said:
To clarify: http://www.businessweek.com/videos/2012-10-30/disney-issues-40-million-shares-to-george-lucas.

$2 billion in Disney shares. $2 billion cash. Lucas now 10th largest Disney shareholder. He has most definitely given up majority power for the future of the franchise.

Well yea - but like I said all this "he's giving all his money away" is actually, he's giving half away and becoming a lucrative shareholder in Disney. That apparently Disney will buy back and by then it'll have gone all quiet on the "George is giving all his money away."

Nice that he's giving away 2 Bil though. I can't afford 10 quid. However, he's not 'redeemed' or becoming Jesus Christ overnight to me after all the shit he's pulled.

This is not the first time he has given away a considerable amount to charity.

white43 said:
TOM : It must be very tiring commenting on every single comment made in a thread ? :p

That's not nearly so tiring as having to read a dozen different threads in this forum that are all on the same subject. :D

DominicCobb said:

Easily done when you're a billionaire. Bill Gates gave away more - is he redeemed for Windows ME or Vista? :p

DominicCobb said:

Easily done when you're a billionaire. Bill Gates gave away more - is he redeemed for Windows ME or Vista? :p

Anyway. OT

Star Wars 7 - Will it suck?

Well, I'm not saying Lucas is redeemed per se, I'm just trying to say giving to charity isn't a new thing he's doing, ie he's not doing it to redeem himself. Also Gates gave away more because he has more.

Anyway, I'm hoping that it doesn't suck.

To get back to the possible stories of Episode 7, I read everywhere about Luke Skywalker as a Master training new Jedi order and things like that.
Of course it seems like the logical thing. Even if Luke is just a background character now, it would be logical to see him in that role.

But I think it could be the opposite.

He saw how the Force is strong and could be used in a bad way; So my guess is that Luke should be very reluctant to train anyone. He should be seen by others as the old hero. Respected, but also almost seen as an old weird mystic guy.
He would always refuse to train new Jedi. A bit a reverse version of old Ben Kenobi, who wanted Luke to be trained.
Until something happens, and he would of course train someone. Because, well, there must be lightsabers fights in a Star Wars movie... right?

If I were writing the script, I set it far enough into the future so that the only remaining living character is Luke (preserved by the force). If Mark Hamill can land the audition, great. If his ability to pull it off seems questionable, then hand it off to a new actor. Then thematically focus on the new generation in this budding new republic who are starting to forget the recent past. New threats rise. Luke is now Yoda essentially.

I do find TMBTM's idea of limiting new Jedi interesting. I miss the feel of the original movies in which Jedi are a thing of legend and not common-place. Also, it is well established that there can be only one master and one apprentice. So Luke trying to run a school seems dubious and highly risky for breeding Sith. Restoring the Jedi order to full strength would probably take many generations.

First serious rumor about who will direct EP7?

Ain it cool news:

So when Steven Weintraub of Collider says:

I’m hearing that Matthew Vaughn, the director of Kick-Ass, Stardust, Layer Cake, and X-Men: First Class, is in talks with Lucasfilm to helm Star Wars: Episode VII. My sources tell me this is the main reason he dropped out of the X-Men sequel (which Bryan Singer is now directing).
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/59478

I hope not. I like Vaughn in theory, but all his films feel to intimate and sort of tv scale to me. Even First Class, which every one is crazy about, didn't feel like a major Hollywood production to me. Now you can argue this isn't a bad thing, sure, but when Star Wars is concerned, I'd much rather just have one of the Pixar directors step in and see what they can do.

Well, I'm excited! I certainly hope that's the reason that Vaughn dropped out of Days of Future Past. That would be awesome. And the timing of that is right.

And if it turns out to be a rumor, well, I'll live. :)

would you guys want the same director doing this new trilogy or a different director for each one?

TMBTM said:
First serious rumor about who will direct EP7?

Ain it cool news:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/59478

I am fully OK with this!

As far as Vaughn's skills as a director go, STAR WARS would seem to be a decent fit for the man. He's tackled fantasy before and he also knows how to give the material the "grit" that STAR WARS fans may want. There certainly would be worse directors out there helming this material.

God. I'm actually excited about where Star Wars may go from here in. I haven't been as excited as this since before I saw TPM.

would you guys want the same director doing this new trilogy or a different director for each one?

Good question. It would really depend on how well the first one turns out. If Director 1 does a good job, I'd want to see more of the same thing. If not, jog on lofty. The approach is important as well. Is this a Lord of the Rings type story? Do the three make one giant story and therefore might need capable hands like Jackson(for example, not saying I want Jackson to direct) to craft it out - or is this more like standalone films that broadly link to each other - so multiple directors would be fine.

It worked for the Original Trilogy, not for the Prequel - but then George isn't the best of directors.

Back
Top Bottom