• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Star Wars Do-Over

Should the Clone Wars Cartoon team be allowed to re-create the PT?

• Yes, the Clone Wars Cartoon is much closer to Star Wars than the Movies were.

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • No, for better or for worse, the movies are canon.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Yes, and while you're at it, have them redo 4-6 as well!

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.
  • Poll closed .
Holy hell. Mark this day in history. For the first time since I came to FE, I agree with absolutely everything that Gaith put into a single post regarding Star Wars.

Funny enough, or perhaps as one would expect, I've long had the idea of writing an entirely new PT not constrained by the theatricals at all, but borrowing from certain basic concepts. Because my pre-fanediting hobby was screenwriting, my instinct is to write it in screenplay format, but in prose might be a method for it to reach more people.

Again, I completely agree Gaith. Spot-on.

:thumb:

And here and all I was afraid that my talk of books had killed the thread for good... :p

I have to agree with Gaith. While, to me, the PT was "serviceable", if you want a true reboot, books are the way to go. Though, I've been reading Matt Stover's novelization of Revenge of the Sith, and it's REALLY GOOD. Makes me wish that GL consulted him when shooting the movie.

Nic Sticinski said:
I have to agree with Gaith. While, to me, the PT was "serviceable", if you want a true reboot, books are the way to go. Though, I've been reading Matt Stover's novelization of Revenge of the Sith, and it's REALLY GOOD. Makes me wish that GL consulted him when shooting the movie.

the novelization is fantastic, probably one of the best star wars novels out there, it captures so much of star wars and the problem with the jedi mentality

How is it "really good"? Don't just tease us like that, hombres. Share! :)

what makes it so good is that stover manages to capture the emotions that lucas tried to put on screen. his description features storylines that fix plotholes like why Yoda left when they knew there was a sith lord. also the entire book is interrupted by quotes about the nature of the dark sight and introduction that give the entire story a gravitas that the movie didn't have:

Younglings across the galaxy know their names, know everything
about them, follow their exploits as though they are sports
heroes instead of warriors in a desperate battle to save civilization.
Even grown-ups are not immune; it's not uncommon for an
exasperated parent to ask, when faced with offspring who have
just tried to pull off one of the spectacularly dangerous bits of
foolishness that are the stock-in-trade of high-spirited younglings
everywhere, So which were you supposed to be, Kenobi or Skywalker?
Kenobi would rather talk than fight, but when there is fighting
to be done, few can match him. Skywalker is the master of audacity;
his intensity, boldness, and sheer jaw-dropping luck are the perfect
complement to Kenobi's deliberate, balanced steadiness. Together,
they are a Jedi hammer that has crushed Separatist infestations on
scores of worlds.
All the younglings watching the battle in Coruscant's sky
know it: when Anakin and Obi-Wan get there, those dirty Seppers
are going to wish they'd stayed in bed today.
The adults know better, of course. That's part of what being a
grown-up is: understanding that heroes are created by the HoloNet,
and that the real-life Kenobi and Skywalker are only human beings,
after all.
Even if they really are everything the legends say they are,
who's to say they'll show up in time? Who knows where they are
right now? They might be trapped on some Separatist backwater.
They might be captured, or wounded. Even dead.
Some of the adults even whisper to themselves, They might
have fallen.
Because the stories are out there. Not on the HoloNet, of
course—the HoloNet news is under the control of the Office of the
Supreme Chancellor, and not even Palpatine's renowned candor
would allow tales like these to be told—but people hear whispers.
Whispers of names that the Jedi would like to pretend never
existed.
Sora Bulq. Depa Billaba. Jedi who have fallen to the dark. Who
have joined the Separatists, or worse: who have massacred
civilians, or even murdered their comrades. The adults have a
sickening suspicion that Jedi cannot be trusted. Not anymore. That
even the greatest of them can suddenly just... snap.
The adults know that legendary heroes are merely legends, and
not heroes at all.
These adults can take no comfort from their younglings. Palpatine
is captured. Grievous will escape. The Republic will fall. No
mere human beings can turn this tide. No mere human beings
would even try. Not even Kenobi and Skywalker.
And so it is that these adults across the galaxy watch the
HoloNet with ashes where their hearts should be.
Ashes because they can't see two prismatic bursts of realspace
reversion, far out beyond the planet's gravity well; because they
can't see a pair of starfighters crisply jettison hyperdrive rings and
streak into the storm of Separatist vulture fighters with all guns
blazing.
A pair of starfighters. Jedi starfighters. Only two.
Two is enough.
Two is enough because the adults are wrong, and their
younglings are right.
Though this is the end of the age of heroes, it has saved its best
for last.
and a nice bit about the will of the force + prophecy

He followed her respectfully. "Anakin is under a great deal of pressure. He carries tremendous responsibilities for a man so young; when I was his age I still had some years to go as a Padawan. He is—changing. Quickly. And I have some anxiety about what he is changing into. It would be a... very great mistake... were he to leave the Jedi Order."

She blinked as though he'd slapped her. "Why—that seems... unlikely, doesn't it? What about this prophecy the Jedi put
so much faith in? Isn't he the chosen one?"
"Very probably. But I have scanned this prophecy; it says only that a chosen one will be born and bring balance to the
Force; nowhere does it say he has to be a Jedi."
She blinked harder, fighting down a surge of desperate hope that left her breathless. "He doesn't have to—?"
"My Master, Qui-Gon Jinn, believed that it was the will of the Force that Anakin should be trained as a Jedi—and we all
have a certain, oh, I suppose you could call it a Jedi-centric bias. It is a Jedi prophecy, after all."

"But the will of the Force—isn't that what Jedi follow?" "Well, yes. But you must understand that not even the Jedi know all there is to be known about the Force; no mortal mind can. We speak of the will of the Force as someone ignorant of gravity might say it is the will of a river to flow to the ocean: it is a metaphor that describes our ignorance. The simple truth—if any truth is ever simple—is that we do not truly know what the will of the Force may be. We can never know. It is so far beyond our limited understanding that we can only surrender to its mystery."

I read the 'light' novelization of Sith which is not nearly as in-depth as the proper novelization, and even that was a vast improvement on the theatrical. It expanded on Anakin's struggle, his doubt, his conflict and his perspective. Likewise it showed Master Yoda withdrawing from events, constantly in meditation, distracted in a way from what was happening around him, seeking to gain insight into why every victory was met with a setback, and to understand the Force's hand in everything, he sensed a consciousness trying to reach him, which of course turned out to be Qui-Gon.

Everything about it, even in that condensed form was an improvement.

All that said, I would love to see a digital animation slant at the Prequel, even if it used Lucas' basic structure and character arcs, but allowed to revamp the story elements, dialog and most importantly, Jar Jar.

Each season of the cartoons has gotten better and better. Season one was overall solid. Some really nice episodes among some average to poor. Season 2 kicked it up a serious notch with some great 3-part storylines, and now Season 3 has had several just epic story lines which are a blast to watch. Through it all, Anakin's character is heroic, likable, sympathetic, but showing the flirtations with the Dark Side, frustrations with the limitations of the Jedi Code...

I honestly think the Clone Wars is improving elements of the prequels by the way it's handling things. My expectations of that have been completely blown away, which is a nice feeling we don't get very often with Star Wars related stuff.

Back
Top Bottom