• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Trek VGER Version 2

Sunarep said:
But I really agree with you Havok, I am a big fan of the Roddenberry/Asimov optimism and the merging of human and a.i. should imo be something to be cherrished and be optimistic about - the enterprise has witnessed something unique and beautiful and it drives forward the idea of self improvement and working on ourselves...

Though the very creation of the BORG (under Roddenberry's watch) would seem to argue against that fact.

In regards to the Alpha Quadrant or Delta Quadrant argument, if Enterprise had gone to season five, they were prepping a script to explore the origin of the Borg, with one of Archer's crew (they were going to try and get Alice Krige for the role) becoming the Borg Queen. As pointed out, a wormhole and time travel can explain most of that away.

Honestly though, when I created the twist ending it was mostly just to have have FUN and explore a fan theory that had been floating around for years. I never really gave the ramifications that much deep thought.

Maybe I could include two endings for fans?

yeah I think the ending is all in good fun and made the edit fresh, i think we are right now no longer talking about the edit but the general message of star trek :D

two endings would really kill two birds with one stone

bionicbob said:
Though the very creation of the BORG (under Roddenberry's watch) would seem to argue against that fact.

I agree, no doubt Roddenberry was fully behind the concept of the Borg when they debuted in TNG - and their inclusion was one of the major reasons the series was able to step away from the original's shadow and become a classic on its own terms; but it's clear that the intent behind them was to have a purely alien antagonist in every sense of the word - something never encountered before and a formidable morally gray opponent.

Heck when Q first took the Enterprise to their side of the pond and the first Cube threatened/warned of assimilation Picard practically begged him to get them the hell out of there.

bionicbob said:

:dance::bounce::love:

bionicbob said:

If you keep the fade to black parts then it should be pretty easy to do.

Star Trek 1 Vger Incident BionicBob Fanedit DVD5 has been uploaded to Usenet.

Neglify said:
Star Trek 1 Vger Incident BionicBob Fanedit DVD5 has been uploaded to Usenet.

THANK YOU NEGLIFY!

You are one of Starfleet's Finest!!! :)

So production on version two is well underway now, about a quarter done already (on vacation with no where to go... a Staycation!)....

Two scenes that vexed me in my original version are the Wormhole scene and the Decker/Kirk conference room meeting.

I dislike both scenes (both the original and my version) as they make Kirk look incompetent.

For this version, I considered opening with the Enterprise already underway, well into its Second Five Year Mission when VGER shows up. But then I would have to lose the entire Spock arc, which I really love. In fact, I am going o restore the entire Vulcan scene this time around.

So then I tried to recut the wormhole scene so Kirk saves the ship, not Decker. But due to character continuity placements and audio issues, I could not make it work.

Which means I can not cut the following meeting between Kirk and Decker.

So I am stuck with my original edited version of these scenes. Unless someone can suggest as solution? :-?

I have added some title cards explaining the Enterprise has been undergoing a refit for the past 3 years under Kirk. So that hopefully explains Decker's line of not "logging a single star hour in 2.5 years"... though why Kirk did not know about the new phaser design still does not make sense.... "sigh"....

In other news, in the original version I used music from all the various Trek incarnations --TNG, DS9 and VOY. With this version, I have decided other that the original Goldsmith soundtrack, I will ONLY be using TOS music. :D

Perhaps the solution is to go the other way, Enterprise has been undergoing a refit under the supervision of Decker while Kirk has been on special assignment for Starfleet. This takes care of logging hours and the difference of familiarity in the new Enterprise inner workings.

L8wrtr said:
Perhaps the solution is to go the other way, Enterprise has been undergoing a refit under the supervision of Decker while Kirk has been on special assignment for Starfleet. This takes care of logging hours and the difference of familiarity in the new Enterprise inner workings.

That could work. It avoids the whole Admiral/Taking Command element but still explains Kirks early command mistakes.

One thing that always frustrated me.... in the movie, they state Admiral Kirk has not logged a single star hour in 2.5 years but the Enterprise has only been in refit for 18 months.... so there is a whole unaccounted year for the Enterprise?

Here is the rough cut of the version two opening credits.... still has to be matted, and not sure about the two crisscrossing Enterprises at the beginning, but I am pretty happy with title cards, though I might make STAR TREK a couple sizes larger....

Your thoughts as always are appreciated.:)

bionicbob said:
Here is the rough cut of the version two opening credits.... still has to be matted, and not sure about the two crisscrossing Enterprises at the beginning, but I am pretty happy with title cards, though I might make STAR TREK a couple sizes larger....

Your thoughts as always are appreciated.:)

I love the classic TOS theme and voiceover and I think it works great for introducing this edit, but I'm conflicted on the video montage that goes along with it here, basically it shows clips from all over the original crew saga including movies that came out after TMP; perhaps showing only the stuff that happened before this installment would be better.

I know how back in the days of the TV show only Shatner, Nimoy and Kelley were credited in the main sequence but perhaps adding another vignette 'Also Starring' in similar style for the rest of the crew would be nice.

I really like how the standard episode intro music is used for the Enterprise leaving dock, and then how the action jumps right into the threat briefing.

Looking forward to this :)

Thanks Havok for the input and your points are very valid.

In regards to the montage, well the honest truth, I just love it. I fell in love with it the first time I saw used as the teaser trailer for Undiscovered Country, and I think it captures perfectly the epic journey of the original Star Trek characters. So for me, it always planned to be part of my VGER edit. Elements of it exist in all four of my first Trek edits, so you could think of it like a typical tv series intro which often features clips of episodes that have not yet aired.

In regards to adding an "ALSO STARRING" credit for the rest of the crew, I did do this later in my Trek edit series, but for this particular edit, I wanted to keep the focus (or is it , RESTORE the focus...?) on the Trek Trinity. In VGER, Sulu, Chekov and Uhura's limited roles have been even more reduced -- they have even less to do than they did in the classic series.;-)

Version Two is nearing completion.

I am working on the end credits now.

I could use an assist from my fellow Trekkers....
The Starfleet Officer who assists Commander Branch on Epsilon 9, does anyone know the actress's name???
I have gone over the cast list several times, but can not determine which character she might be.

If anyone has an idea, please let me know, as I would like to list all the actors who had significant speaking parts in the credits. :)

Rogue-theX said:
You mean Chesty Laroo? :p

No, no, no. You mean Hooty McBoob, surely? ;)

I just tried IMDB, and there are a couple of cast members without a photo, which is an inconvenience.

Bob, try googling a quote of what she says along with "quote" at the end like "there heading close to that cloud commander Star Trek Quote" then if you find the quote you might be able to find the name of the character delivering it, that should get you in the right direction.

Found her!

Michele Ameen Billy. :D

Rogue-theX said:
You mean Chesty Laroo? :p

JetSetWilly said:
No, no, no. You mean Hooty McBoob, surely? ;)

I just tried IMDB, and there are a couple of cast members without a photo, which is an inconvenience.

LOL you guys crack me up :p

I only have one thing to say. I cannot wait to download this.

That and Tits McGhee was my nod for the actress credit. A day late and a decade short, though.

Back
Top Bottom