• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Trek VGER Version 2

"Necessity is the mother of invention."

So as some of you may recall, my limited software has issues with REDS, often causing some pixelation.
In most of my edits, the RED scenes are very brief and so the pixels never really bothered me enough.

But with VGER there is an entire 3 minute scene during the climax that is RED lit. It is a definite sore spot in my original version.
So what to do?

Well, I asked myself, does the scene need to be RED?

So after playing with good old Colour Corrector, I have altered the scene so now it is lit in a blue-ish purple light. There is still some minor pixels, but the new colour has soften or removed most of them. Not perfect, but a significant improvement.

The neat thing about it, this filter has altered the other background colours too. In particular, it has really made the GREENS pop on the screen. This is perfect, as it helps to better build up the twist ending.

Version Two is now officially finished and locked in. Just have to create the dvd and upload it. If all goes well, it will be available next week sometime. :)

bionicbob, I hadn't watched the original V'GER Incident yet - which now I'm glad for since V2 is about to come out. I've always had a soft spot for ST:TMP while at the same time being aware of its many flaws, so a fanedit that tightened it up would be a great treat!

What is this limited software you refer to?

ouch! no Mac love? :p:D

I still use good old Final Cut Express, which only supports one codec Apple DV/DVCPRO-NTSC, which has some troubles with reds and such. Ideally, I should be using DVCPRO50, but Final Cut Express does not support it. No biggie for me, it just forces me to think outside the box more and to be more careful in my editing choices. ;-)

Severian said:
bionicbob, I hadn't watched the original V'GER Incident yet - which now I'm glad for since V2 is about to come out. I've always had a soft spot for ST:TMP while at the same time being aware of its many flaws, so a fanedit that tightened it up would be a great treat!

The movie still has some "slow" moments, lots of staring at the screen while the Enterprise journeys into VGER, but the final cut comes in at 82 minutes. Also, lots of TOS music has been added to scenes which I hope will inject some renewed energy and freshness into the story. ;-)

bionicbob said:
The movie still has some "slow" moments, lots of staring at the screen while the Enterprise journeys into VGER, but the final cut comes in at 82 minutes. Also, lots of TOS music has been added to scenes which I hope will inject some renewed energy and freshness into the story. ;-)

Well, I like the long shots of VGER, so I'm totally on board on still seeing that within a reinvigorated story. :biggrin:

STAR TREK "The V'GER Incident" VERSION TWO
or THE PHASE II EDITION

vgerincidentbyrogue2.jpg

Basic details:
original film name: STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE The Director's Edition
new film name : STAR TREK "The V'GER Incident"
film studio name : Paramount Pictures
edit crew name : Bionic Bob
persons involved: Me
Date Original Film Was Released : Theatrical Release 1979, DVD Director's Edition 2001
Date Original Edit Was Released : May 2010
Date VERSION TWO Fan Edit Was Released: March 2013
Original Runtime : 143 min
Version One Runtime : 80 mins
Version TWO Runtime: 82 mins

Intention:
1. Inject some classic TOS energy into movie
2. Shift the story focus away from Decker and back onto Kirk and Spock

Editing Details:
Used iMac 10.5, Mac the Ripper, MPEG Streamclip, Final Cut Express, GarageBand, and iDVD

Cuts removed/added/extended***corrected*** (add list of what was changed):
***corrected aspect ratio to 16x9
***adjusted audio levels
--restuctured intro of V'GER from Space Station POV with TOS music
--created new opening credits
***restored the Vulcan sequence but moved it to later in the film as a flashback
--removed sequence of Kirk taking back command of the Enterprise
--greatly truncated Enterprise's journey to intercept V'GER
--downplayed the Decker/Illia romance
--cut nearly a dozen Decker "Hero" shots
***corrected some continuity errors from Version One
***used only the Jerrry Goldsmith score and music from TOS soundtrack
***corrected Spock mind meld scene
***changed the colour lighting of two key scenes
--edited scenes in the style of TOS with dramatic fade to blacks and classic music cues
--created new closing credits
***two new FX were created for this edit by David Kerin

Opening 5 Minute Preview:

Wow, Bob, you're all done allready?!?! Nice! :cool:

Rogue-theX said:
Wow, Bob, you're all done allready?!?! Nice! :cool:

I was highly motivated to get this puppy done in order to move on to my next fan edit project. ;)

bionicbob said:
I was highly motivated to get this puppy done in order to move on to my next fan edit project. ;)

Ah, 10 4.

Version Two has been uploaded and submitted to that other site.

You can PM if you are interested. ;-)

William Shatner had a birthday yesterday (March 22), the greatest Captain in Starfleet history turned 82!

Happy Birthday Shatman! :D

I got the links, and I'll grab it tomorrow for watching and review :) can't wait!

Just updated my original IFDb review with comments about v2. In summary, so glad to finally have a version of this edit that's technically on par with its artistic achievements! :)

Dwight Fry said:
Just updated my original IFDb review with comments about v2. In summary, so glad to finally have a version of this edit that's technically on par with its artistic achievements! :)

Thank you very much Dwight! ;-)

A THANK YOU to ajroach for taking the time to post a review for Version 2 of VGER.:):):)

I've just seen V2 and enjoyed it immensely. It fittingly condenses the story into the pilot to Phase II that In Thy Image might have been. It makes it watchable, and that is a great achievement. I really loved this edit. It makes me wish, all over again, that Phase II became a reality.

I have a few nitpicks. There are a few but I'll say that the improvements to this movie far out way any problem. Many times the better movie than The Motion Picture was to begin with.
I question the necessity of the opening theme. It has a distinctly different tone than the feature and could easily be done away with. I would have enjoyed it better if the before and after scenes instead flowed together. There are still a few awkward relics of the previous storyline with Admiral Kirk and Captain Decker that I guess are unavoidable without heavy audio editing. The sequence of the Enterprise first entering V'Ger's cloud is heavily slashed. I agree this is totally necessary but I think it was a little heavy-handed. A few more longer held shots wouldn't lengthen it too much but would go a long way preserve the awe of the situation. I'm not a fan of those "commercial break" fade outs (please excuse my lack of proper terminology knowledge) and thought the Borg additions were too indulgent.

Despite the issues I've listed, and I hope you take them as constructive criticism and really just a matter of my personal taste, I really enjoyed this edit and will gleefully be watching more.

Back
Top Bottom