• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

STAR TREK "The Khitomer Conspiracy"

TMBTM said:
So sorry. I completely forgot to add this release on the main fanedit page.....

I'm more to blame for this mistake. I messed up something behind-the-scenes and this was overlooked accidentally.

So I'm sorry too.

Neglify said:
I'm more to blame for this mistake. I messed up something behind-the-scenes and this was overlooked accidentally.

So I'm sorry too.

It's all cool like Fonzie.:)

Though my MIA listings for BATTLESTAR and THIS OTHER EDEN is another story....:p

bionicbob said:
Though my MIA listings for BATTLESTAR and THIS OTHER EDEN is another story....:p

:bolt:
That ain't my fault man. I swear.

I had 11 or something missing when I DL'd it yesterday. Just take the DLC out of JDownloader after all the online parts have downloaded and reload just the part that wouldn't download. Then it should work. It's happened to me several times.

Yep. The curse of Mediafire. Trust me the files are all there.
But Mediafire seems to love to make files "unavailable" or "missing",
particularly if you are not a member and using the free download option.

Best bet, restart and update your Jdownloader and just download the file you are missing.:)

bionicbob said:
Yep. The curse of Mediafire. Trust me the files are all there.
But Mediafire seems to love to make files "unavailable" or "missing",
particularly if you are not a member and using the free download option.

Best bet, restart and update your Jdownloader and just download the file you are missing.:)

thanks, done it and finished the download

Just finished watching. Well done as always, Bob! :) It looked and sounded great, the trimming was quite appropriate (including the stupid kick to the "knee"), the spots where it would stop for a commercial break were perfect, and there were some genuine surprises in it. A really nice way to wrap things up.

A couple of other things I can't help but mention...

1. A spoiler alert may have been appropriate for the About This Edit section, perhaps below those very words once you start watching it. Something like 'do not watch this if you have not watched the edit yet,' perhaps?
2. There were a fair amount of spelling and grammatical errors in the text you wrote. Sorry, I'm just a stickler about stuff like that, and it tends to jump out at me. Ask Frink. :p

Ripplin said:
Just finished watching. Well done as always, Bob! :) It looked and sounded great, the trimming was quite appropriate (including the stupid kick to the "knee"), the spots where it would stop for a commercial break were perfect, and there were some genuine surprises in it. A really nice way to wrap things up.

A couple of other things I can't help but mention...

1. A spoiler alert may have been appropriate for the About This Edit section, perhaps below those very words once you start watching it. Something like 'do not watch this if you have not watched the edit yet,' perhaps?
2. There were a fair amount of spelling and grammatical errors in the text you wrote. Sorry, I'm just a stickler about stuff like that, and it tends to jump out at me. Ask Frink. :p

The Bob shakes his sadly. My wife the school teacher is very disappointed in me.:oops:
We had three separate viewings, and I thought we caught them all, but still those pesky grammar thingies slipped through the polishing process. But hey, maybe the future Federation education system is not all it is hailed to be and the Section 31 Operative is just a product of a failing school system????:-D

Where is auto-correct when you need it?!!?:p

I suppose a spoiler warning for ABOUT THIS EDIT might have been appropriate.... oops!
But then again, it is called "ABOUT THIS EDIT" for a reason, there is a good chance it will talk about what is in the edit.... LOL!!!:lol:

Seriously, thanks Ripplin for taking the time to comment.
Glad you enjoyed the ride.:)

So when you say "genuine surprises" and anything specific that really caught you off guard?

bionicbob said:
So when you say "genuine surprises" and anything specific that really caught you off guard?
Well, pretty much the obvious ones, I mean... Timeline stuff.

"Funny" story... My mother met a friend of hers whilst shopping or something and long story short, I ended up being invited to her kids' second Trekker party, where we would watch different Trek stuff all day, then go see Star Trek VI at the theater that night. I felt nauseous all day (had nothing to do with someone stepping in my plate of lasagna) and absolutely had to leave the theater during the Kirk vs. "Kirk" fight because I thought I was finally going to hurl. I didn't. Well, not until a few hours later.

That is quite a story.:eek:

I have heard Shatner's ego can have that affect on people. Just ask George Takei!:lol:

Thank You TMBTM for taking the time to post you nice words on the Main Page.
Very much appreciated.:)

This edit is the end of an era, in which a man who calls himself Bionic Bob dared to boldly go where no man, where no one, had gone before: take all the theatrical Original Cast Trek movies, and make leaner, meaner TV episode style edits out of them. All of the entries have been successes IMO, and with this final one Bob gave his all and wrapped the whole thing up in a way that ties The Undiscovered Country with a lot of other elements of the Trekverse. Now, while I have always tended to enjoy all things Star Trek, I wouldn't consider myself a Trekker and I still have a lot to watch, so being a bit less than a fanboy yet a bit more than a casual viewer, I must say that the newly added elements worked great for me, even if I didn't "get" all of the references. But I didn't need to, even for newcomers I think there's enough of a pattern to sense there and a mystery element that works. Particularly, I loved the book-end structure. It gave the whole thing a flavor of mythic, larger than life "old legend" narration. Genius.

The rest of it is a much improved pacing-wise version of the sixth movie in the franchise, which once again shows that it contained a lot of unneeded filler. However, I got slightly disappointed in seeing that some cheesy stuff had remained, which might even be my fault in part for not suggesting its removal while this edit was in the works. Much of that cheese has to do with Bill S. No, not him. The other Bill S. Starting from establishing that Shakespeare's works were originally written in Klingon (wut?), and culminating in the non-stop quoting by Chang of lines from the plays that, for my tastes, turn him into a buffonesque operetta villain and deprive the last third of any tension. It's unintentionally funny and works against the narration. My other complaint is Spock's bloodline link to Sherlock Holmes. Not only is it way too forced and unlikely, but it reminds me of how everyone in the world who claims to have been reincarnated, claims to have been the likes of Alexander the Great or Cleopatra, never a random XII Century leper beggar... I will concede, though, that the Holmes line is hard to remove given the flow of the conversation.

Some other reviewers have complained about the commercial fades. I think they were fine. Bob has come a long way since his early Trek edits that faded out and in the audio and the video at the same thing, which WAS jarring. Here he used different timings, and it felt natural. In fact, other than the moments I mentioned above and some spelling errors that others have pointed out already, both the narrative and the technical stuff were flawlessly handled.

A great final chapter of a great fanedit saga, and yet another one of Bob's edits that replaces the original for me. On top of everything, I couldn't agree more: KIRK LIVES! 9/10.

Thank You Mr. Dwight for taking the time to post your thoughts. I always look forward to your review.

In regards to the two cheesy elements you mentioned....

Klingon Shakespeare -- I agree with you on this, and my first impulse was to cut it out, but after my initial rough cut, I came to the conclusion the dinner scene does not work with out, it completely loses its cohesion and becomes a choppy mess. Also, for good or ill, the concept of the Klingons appropriating Shakespeare into their culture has become part of Trek Lore (I hate to use the word "canon") being referenced in other series and novels. So I felt it best to just leave it alone. Besides, it would not be the first time one culture has claimed another culture's creations as their own. As for degenerating Chang into a mustache twirling villain, well, honestly, based on Plummer's performance, was he ever really any more than that? From the moment he beams into the Enterprise transporter room, the audience instantly KNOWS he is a Badguy and who better to spout the classic lines of Shakespeare other than the grandmaster of the Canadian Stratford Festival, than legendary Christopher Plummer?:D

Sherlock Spock -- I debated this line too and part of me has no problem believing that in the Trek Universe Sherlock Holmes was a real historical figure and could be Spock's ancestor. Yes, it is Small Universe Syndrome, but this edit is already purposely loaded with it, so why not one more? LOL! Though I think the line could also be interpreted as Spock is related to Sherlock creator Arthur Conan Doyle. If memory serves, I do believe there has been one or two Trek novels (by Peter David, I think) that also make this suggestion. And since Sherlock Holmes played a memorial role in a coupe NexGen episodes, I thought it was a fun nod to keep it in.:)

But yeah, still an imperfect edit, too many ingrained Meyer-isms for my tastes.

I am happy you enjoyed it. Thanks again!:)

I didn't mean taking out all the Shakespeare references from the dinner scene, only the "original Klingon" line. I don't see how cutting it out would turn the scene a choppy mess. Still, it can be written off as just an attempt of arrogant Klingon humor. Chang's non-stop quoting irritates me much more. OK, he's indeed pretty much an stereotypically hammy villain from the get-go, but I think that all that could be done to minimize that approach and let us consider him at least a reasonably threatening enemy, should have been implemented. We already got a quoting villain before in the person of Khan, and back then this stuff got much better handled than in the sorry imitation of him that is Chang, a character that, had him been played by an inferior actor and not by the great Mr. Plummer, would have resulted in the movie being laughed off the screens.

Dwight Fry said:
I didn't mean taking out all the Shakespeare references from the dinner scene, only the "original Klingon" line. I don't see how cutting it out would turn the scene a choppy mess. Still, it can be written off as just an attempt of arrogant Klingon humor. Chang's non-stop quoting irritates me much more. OK, he's indeed pretty much an stereotypically hammy villain from the get-go, but I think that all that could be done to minimize that approach and let us consider him at least a reasonably threatening enemy, should have been implemented. We already got a quoting villain before in the person of Khan, and back then this stuff got much better handled than in the sorry imitation of him that is Chang, a character that, had him been played by an inferior actor and not by the great Mr. Plummer, would have resulted in the movie being laughed off the screens.

I agree on all points.

In many ways, Meyer is just recycling his own Khan material when it came to Chang.

Sorry, I misunderstood your cheesy reference. I thought you meant "all" the Klingon Shakespeare references. I am still recovering from a week in Disneyland, my brain has still not quite rebooted from all the sensory overload.:lol:

Star Trek 6 Khitomer Conspiracy BionicBob Fanedit DVD5 uploaded to Usenet. NZB submitted to Info.

And with that, all of BionicBob's Star Trek edits are now on Usenet. :)

Neglify said:
Star Trek 6 Khitomer Conspiracy BionicBob Fanedit DVD5 uploaded to Usenet. NZB submitted to Info.

And with that, all of BionicBob's Star Trek edits are now on Usenet. :)

wowzers! Neg is pure Awesomeness! :)

Back
Top Bottom