• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Trek: The Companion Series – "To Boldy Go" (A Screenplay)

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
After watching TOS for the first time a number of years ago, I was left with the desire to create my own (non-Kelvin Timeline) reboot for the Star Trek Universe. It wasn’t because I thought the show was bad – far from it – but because I felt the series, for all its good characters and stories, never really realized its full potential, hampered as it was by storytelling conventions and SFX limitations of 1960s television.

In 2015-2016, I wrote the pilot episode for a hard reboot of TOS which was to consist of five seasons with 13-to-16 episodes each. It didn't take long for me to realize writing 65-to-80 episodes would be too daunting for me alone, and so I abandoned the idea after completing that one pilot script.

I recently returned to the pilot and revised it to bring it more in-line with established Trek lore, though still kept it distinct from the Prime Universe. Starfleet uniforms are somewhat different, for instance, and some of the technology operates differently than in established Trek lore.

"To Boldly Go" incorporates material from two separate stories — Enterprise: The First Adventure & Star Trek Annual #1 — though is ultimately it's own story.

FADE IN

On Ghioghe, a terrestrial M-class planet.

Glowing with an almost eerie radiance in the pitch black of space, its sun in the distance, Ghioghe has in its orbit thirteen starships. Three of these ships — the Federation-class dreadnought Entente, the Detroyat-class heavy destroyer Sardaukar, and the Newton-class starship Lydia Sutherland — belong to the United Federation of Planets; the remaining ten — an assortment of frigates, corvettes, and destroyers — belong to Ghioghe's defense fleet. The two sides are locked in battle, and the outnumbered, outgunned Federation ships are losing the fight.

INT. LYDIA SUTHERLAND/BRIDGE

Seated in the command chair, dressed in the shiny black jackboots, black trousers, green undershirt, gray jacket, and insignia pin of a Starfleet commanding officer, is COMMANDER JAMES R. KIRK. Well-built, handsome, with a square jaw and dark blond hair, Kirk is a Human male who glows with an intense, fierce determination which belies his young age of thirty-one years. Located directly in front of the command chair are the navigation, tactical, and helm stations. Manning these stations are three individuals: Thelin, a gracile Andorian male; Rlad, a stocky Tellarite male; and Cojji, a Human female. Their uniforms are nearly identical to Kirk's, though Cojji and Rlad wear different insignia and beige undershirts in place of green.

EXT. SPACE — GHIOGHE

Twin azure beams flash from the Lydia Sutherland's forward phasers, converging upon the portside engines of the blade-shaped corvette engaging it. Minimal damage is inflicted to the corvette. A destroyer joining the corvette, the two Ghioghe ships open fire on the Newton-class starship. Six purple beams burn through the starship's failing deflector shields, slicing through the forward section.

Several control panels explode. Many officers, caught in the blast, are blown out of their seats. The lights aboard the bridge begin flickering erratically.

KIRK

Damage report!

Unfortunately for the commander, most of the bridge crew now lie strewn about the bridge deck unconscious, dying, or dead. Pressing a button in his chair controls, Kirk engages the red alert, sending the ship klaxons blaring. Leaving his seat, Kirk goes to the navigation, tactical, and helm stations. Rlad and Cojji are dead, but Thelin, though grievously burned, escaped the brunt of the explosion alive.

Returning to his chair, Kirk activates the intercom.

KIRK

Medical personnel, report to the bridge! We have injured here!

EXT. SPACE — GHIOGHE

The Ghioghe ships open fire upon the Lydia Sutherland again. This time the beams cut into the ship's impulse engines.

With a terrific explosion, violent shocks reverberate through the length of the ship. Tossed clear off his feet, Kirk is hurtled into the forward viewscreen. Hitting the surface at an odd angle, he collapses to the deck, face bloody, eyes closed. The internal lighting and artificial gravity fail as the ship's power dies.

EXT. SPACE — GHIOGHE

Coming to the Sutherland's aid, the Entente trains its phaser banks on two Ghioghe destroyers. Opening fire, the Federation­-class dreadnought decimates the ships completely. Catching the Lydia Sutherland in its tractor beam, the Entente, along with the Sardaukar, turn from the enemy fleet and head away from the planet. Once they have cleared some distance, the three Federation craft jump to the safety of warp.

INT. LYDIA SUTHERLAND/TRANSPORTER ROOM

At the back end of the room, built into its own alcove, is the ship's transporter. It is equipped with its own generator, leaving it ready for operation though the rest of the Sutherland's systems have gone dead.

A large tube of blue energy manifests within the transporter. Energized particles pool within the tube, coalescing into sixteen distinct shapes. The transport process complete, the tube dissipates, leaving a rescue party of SIXTEEN STARFLEET PERSONNEL standing there.

Attired in gray excursion jumpsuits, medical equipment at hand, the rescue party members reach for the visors around their eyes, setting them on infrared mode to see in the dark. One brings out a mechanical device resembling an early 21st century flip phone. Springing the comcorder open with the press of a button, she brings a holographic display of technical readouts up from the small projector.

Forcing the bridge door open, the rescue party enters. Inside, they find the bridge crew members — the dead and barely alive — floating about like prone, motionless ghosts. Moving inward, taking care to locate and administer aid to the survivors, they soon come upon Cmdr. Kirk himself.

FADE OUT

BEGIN OPENING CREDITS

FADE IN

On a black starfield.

Travelling through this starfield, we pass by several exotic planets and colourful nebulae until we finally come to focus on the Constitution-class starship USS Enterprise.

KIRK: (V.O.) Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise: to explore strange new worlds; to seek out new life and new civilizations; to boldly go where no Man has gone before.

The Enterprise vanishes from sight as it goes to warp.

STAR TREK

Starring

? as CAPT. JAMES R. KIRK

? as LT. CMDR. GARY MITCHELL

? as LT. CMDR. SPOCK

JOHN NOBLE as DR. MARK PIPER

? as LT. CMDR. MONTGOMERY SCOTT

? as LT. NYOTA UHURA

? as LT. HIKARU SULU

NOA TISHBY as MAJ. HADIA RUAN

and ? as YN. JANICE RAND

END OPENING CREDITS​

INT. MANTILLES — APARTMENT COMPLEX/KIRK'S APARTMENT — DAWN

In the early hours of the Mantillian dawn, as the first dull rays of sunlight filter through the small, one-room apartment's window blinds, James Kirk — dressed in black jackboots, trousers, and green undershirt — stands over a small suitcase, loading his few possessions — a couple microtapes, a Quran, a thin sheaf of family photos, and one handwritten letter — into it.

KIRK

Computer.

COMPUTER

Ready.

KIRK

Close out my account here.

COMPUTER

Done.

Closing the suitcase, Kirk walks over to a chair and takes a gray Starfleet jacket up from it. As he pulls it on and zips it closed, we can tell by the braids embroidered on his sleeves that he is no longer a commander; he has been promoted to captain. Returning to his suitcase, he picks it up then leaves the apartment without a single look back.

EXT. FEDERATION TEACHING HOSPITAL — DAWN

Emerging from a taxi, Kirk finds himself before the Federation Teaching Hospital, a short but wide building with a pristine exterior of whitewashed walls and sparkling clean windows.

SUPERIMPOSE: TO BOLDY GO

INT. FEDERATION TEACHING HOSPITAL/REGENERATION WARD — DAWN

Entering the ward, Kirk makes his way to a long, transparent regeneration tank. Lying inside the tank, immersed up to his neck in a green regenerative gel, is Thelin. Though his burns have healed, the Andorian remains unconscious, in a deep coma. Taking a seat in a chair beside the tank, Kirk locks a pained gaze upon his subordinate.

KIRK

They keep telling me you'll wake up soon. I hope it's true. You've been here too long, and it isn't fair. (beat) They also claim you can't hear me because of the drugs, but they're wrong. I don't care if they think I'm nuts to talk to you. (beat) I saw it all going wrong at Ghioghe. I still can't believe Sieren could make a mistake like that. I saw — this is going to sound weird, Thelin, I know it — but I saw the pattern of what was happening. I knew that if everyone would calm down for thirty seconds, if all the commanders held their fire for another minute, the crisis would pass. But it didn't happen that way. (shakes head) Lord, I admired Sieren. (beat) I saw the pattern, I knew how to fix it, but I couldn't do anything and it all went wrong. Is that how it was for Sieren? Is that how it would have been for me, if I had been in command? Axanar could have turned out just the same, but it didn't. We came out of that one covered in glory and holding a peace treaty. Was that just good luck?

Kirk rises from his chair.

KIRK

It's alright. Sleep, get well. I have to leave for Starbase 95 soon to begin my assignment on the Enterprise, but I'll check in to see how you're doing as often as I can, my friend. I promise.

At that moment, Christine Chapel, a handsome blonde dressed in a blue nurse's uniform, enters the room, a clipboard-sized PADD tucked under her right arm.

CHRISTINE CHAPEL

Good morning, Captain.

Kirk doesn't seem to hear her.

CHRISTINE CHAPEL

Captain?

KIRK

(notices Chapel) Sorry, Ms. Chapel. I'm still not used to being addressed as "captain". Good morning.

CHRISTINE CHAPEL

The biotelemetry on Cmdr. Thelin is very encouraging. I thought you'd like to know.

KIRK

Then why doesn't he wake up?

CHRISTINE CHAPEL

He will. When he's ready.

Chapel calls the information on Thelin's current medical condition up on her PADD, then hands the device to Kirk. Accepting it, he reads it over.

KIRK

(smiles) I see he has the heart of an eighteen-year-old.

CHRISTINE CHAPEL

(grins) Yes — in a jar on his closet shelf. (beat) He will be alright, Captain. I promise you that.

KIRK

Thank you, Ms. Chapel.

Deactivating the PADD, the captain hands it back to the nurse.

KIRK

(cont'd) Ms. Chapel …

CHRISTINE CHAPEL

Yes, Captain?

KIRK

Would you do me a favour?

CHRISTINE CHAPEL

If I can.

KIRK

I know it isn't supposed to make any difference, but I keep remembering the time before I woke up. I could hear things — or thought I could hear — but I couldn't open my eyes and I didn't know where I was or what had happened to me. While Thelin's still asleep, could you … talk to him? Tell him he's going to be alright….

CHRISTINE CHAPEL

(touches Kirk's arm reassuringly) Of course I will.

KIRK

Thank you. (beat) I'm supposed to report to Starbase 95 soon. I'd like to leave a note —?

CHRISTINE CHAPEL

You can use the office in back.

INT. FEDERATION TEACHING HOSPITAL/REGENERATION WARD/OFFICE — DAWN

As Kirk enters the office, he finds two individuals engaged in conversation, standing with their backs turned to him. Both female, one is a genetically altered Human with radiant blue-green eyes and silver hair, the other a baseline woman with short blond hair.

SILVER-HAIRED DOCTOR

(cont'd) No, of course not. It's just — (notices Kirk) Why, Capt. Kirk! How nice to see you looking so well!

The blonde — CAROL MARCUS — spins around upon hearing that name.

CAROL MARCUS

Jim!

KIRK

Hello, Carol.

SILVER-HAIRED DOCTOR

(to Carol) Talk to you later.

The doctor leaves so the two baseline Humans can converse in private.

CAROL MARCUS

How are you feeling, Jim?

KIRK

It's wonderful to see you. I have to leave soon. Can we … I'd like to talk to you. Would you have a drink with me?

CAROL MARCUS

It's too early in the day for a drink, Jim….

KIRK

Oh, of course!

CAROL MARCUS

(cont'd) But I will go for a walk with you.

EXT. PARK — DAY

Mantilles' sun has risen high in the western sky, casting its red rays upon the beautiful orange foliage of the park. Kirk and Carol walk together along a narrow dirt path, hand-in-hand.

CAROL MARCUS

We are still friends, I hope.

KIRK

I hope so, too.

CAROL MARCUS

Are you sleeping any better?

Kirk hesitates too long before answering.

KIRK

I'm sleeping fine.

CAROL MARCUS

If you want to talk about it …

KIRK

(flustered) No, I don't want to talk about it! (gently) No, I don't want to talk about it.

They soon reach a small lake. As they take a seat on a bench close to the shore, a number of small violet cephalopods rise from the water, flailing their short tentacles in search of a handout.

CAROL MARCUS

(looks upon cephalopods) We always forget to bring them anything. How many times have we walked here? We always meant to bring them some bread, but we never did.

KIRK

We had … other things on our minds.

CAROL MARCUS

Yes….

KIRK

(frustrated) Carol, there's got to be someway —!

He cuts himself off when he notices her tense up.

CAROL MARCUS

Such as what?

KIRK

We could … we could get married.

CAROL MARCUS

What?

KIRK

Let's get married. Come with me to Starbase 95. Admiral Noguchi could perform the ceremony.

CAROL MARCUS

But why marriage, for heaven's sake?

KIRK

That's the way we do it in my family.

CAROL MARCUS

Not in mine. (beat) And anyway, it still wouldn't work.

KIRK

It's worked for quite a number of millennia. (beat) Carol, I love you. You love me. You're the person I'd most want to be with if I were stranded on a desert planet. We have fun together — remember when we went to the dock and snuck on board the Majel for our own private tour — (notices her strange expression) It's true.

CAROL MARCUS

Yes, it's true, and I have missed you. The house is awfully quiet without you.

KIRK

(smiles) Then you'll do it?

CAROL MARCUS

(shakes head) No. We talked about this too many times. No matter what we do, it wouldn't make any difference. I can't be with you and you can't be with me.

KIRK

But I could. I could transfer to headquarters —

CAROL MARCUS

Jim….

The pretty young woman takes both of Kirk's hands in hers and gazes deeply into his eyes.

CAROL MARCUS

(cont'd) I remember how you felt when you found out you were getting command of the Enterprise. Do you think anyone who loved you would want to take that away from you? Do you think you could love anyone who tried?

KIRK

(voice breaks) I love you. I don't want to lose you.

CAROL MARCUS

I don't want to lose you, either, but I lost you before I ever met you. (tear runs from eye) I can get used to the quiet. I can't get used to having you back for a few weeks at a time and losing you over-and-over-and-over again.

KIRK

(miserable) I know you're right. I just …

Tears running down both their faces, they kiss for the final time. Carol then holds him to her, allowing him to rest his head on her shoulder as he weeps.

CAROL MARCUS

(crying) I love you, too, Jim, but we don't live on a desert planet.

EXT. M5O-0024 — CRICHTON SETTLEMENT — CITYSCAPE — DAY

On the Federation colony M5O-0024, a violet-and-mauve gas giant looms large in the northern sky, the distant white sun of the system shining just off to the northeast, casting its bright, clean light on the coastal buildings of Crichton Settlement, the O-class moon's largest city.

INT. APARTMENT COMPLEX/KUBAKA & NYOTA'S APARTMENT — DAY

Entering the apartment, we travel to the bedroom, where we find a suitcase — open and partially packed — atop the large, king-sized bed. Moving out of the bedroom, we come to the living room, where we find two dark-skinned Humans standing together. LIEUTENANT NYOTA UHURA, a pretty woman with short black hair, dark brown eyes, and a strong, toned body, is of Terran extraction, a native of the African Confederation. Kabaka Bubunga — a man with short, curly hair, a thin mustache, and a taller, finer build than that of his companion — is of similar heritage.

KABAKA BUGUNGA

So you're really going, Nyota?

UHURA

Yes, Kabaka. Did you really expect otherwise?

KABAKA BUGUNGA

(shakes head) I didn't know. I … (reaches into pocket) Here, I have something for you.

Pulling the object out — a small ebony box — he presents it to Uhura, resting a hand lovingly on her shoulder as he does so. Taking the box, she opens it. Inside, nestled against crimson velvet lining, is a beautiful electrum ring set with an ornate turquoise.

UHURA

A wedding ring? (beat) Kabaka, that's very sweet, but —

Gently but firmly, Kabaka directs Uhura over to a sofa and sits her down in it.

KABAKA BUGUNGA

(sits beside Uhura, facing her) Marry me, Nyota. What do you need space for when you've got someone who loves you right here?

UHURA

And I love you, Kabaka … but I can't just abandon my career. Comm officer of the Enterprise is a promotion I can't refuse.

KABAKA BUGUNGA

(frowns) And you expect me to wait for you, is that it?

UHURA

No … no.

Taking one last look at the wedding ring in its box, she replaces it in Kabaka's hands, closing his fingers over it as she does so.

UHURA

(cont'd) I'll wait for you.

Kabaka's face contorts with deep anger. Bolting up from the sofa, he gazes upon his lover, cheeks livid with rage.

KABAKA BUGUNGA

Don't bother, Uhura …

Taking the ring, Kabaka hurls it across the room.

KABAKA BUGUNGA

(cont'd) I won't be here when you get back.

Turning on his heel, he strides to the apartment door. By the time Uhura goes to stop him, he has already stormed out.

UHURA

(staring after him) Goodbye….

INT. ENTERPRISE/OFFICERS' QUARTERS

A man comes to stand before a closed door. Clad in a uniform nearly identical to Kirk's, he keeps his hands clasped behind his back, an aura of what can only be described as relaxed but contemplative focus worn about him. A tall, slender man who wears his black hair shorn short and his facial expression neutral, he looks almost like an average, nondescript Human male; only the greenish tinge to his light skin, his upturned eyebrows, and pointed ears betray the non-baseline side of his heritage. This is LIEUTENANT COMMANDER S'CHN T'GAI SPOCK, the Vulcan/Human hybrid science officer of the USS Enterprise.

He presses the door's buzzer.

CAPT. PIKE

(O.S.) Come.

The door slides open, allowing Spock inside.

INT. ENTERPRISE/CAPT. PIKE'S QUARTERS

As the door closes behind him, Spock finds CAPTAIN CHRISTOPHER PIKE seated behind his deck. A handsome man in his early forties, Pike has dark brown hair and piercing blue eyes. Elbows resting atop the desk and his chin atop his fists, he stares at holographic images of old friends, family, and colleagues being projected from a data crystal in a reader upon his desk. His eyes are solidly fixed on the three dimensional images, his expression pensive. Glancing up from the images, Pike seems to take notice of Spock for the first time. He passes a hand over the data reader, dispelling the holograms.

CAPT. PIKE

Good afternoon, Mr. Spock.

SPOCK

Commodore Pike.

CAPT. PIKE

Not Cdre. Pike. Not yet. I'm still a captain 'til week's end.

Taking the data crystal from the reader, Pike drops it in a drawstring bag. Scooping other such crystals up from the desktop, he deposits them in the bag also.

SPOCK

Very well, Capt. Pike.

CAPT. PIKE

Ship's business?

SPOCK

No, sir. The Enterprise is prepared for change of command.

CAPT. PIKE

Good.

Drawing the string of the bag tight, Pike ties the bag shut and tosses it in a nearly empty suitcase.

CAPT. PIKE

Not much to show for eleven years, is it?

SPOCK

(cocks eyebrow) Sir?

CAPT. PIKE

Nevermind. I'm just feeling my age.

SPOCK

Yes, Captain. (beat) Congratulations, sir.

CAPT. PIKE

Congratulations?

SPOCK

Yes, sir. In regard to your promotion, your increased responsibilities.

CAPT. PIKE

Oh, right. (smiles humourlessly) Did you want to talk to me about something in particular, Mr. Spock?

SPOCK

Change of command offers little opportunity for conversation, Captain. I came to speak to you now … merely to wish you farewell.

CAPT. PIKE

Merely?

SPOCK

Yes. Words of farewell are perhaps not logical, based as they are in superstition, in wishes for good fortune, but … I have learned much from you, Captain.

CAPT. PIKE

(smiles) That's high praise, Mr. Spock. Thank you.

SPOCK

Perhaps we will have the opportunity to work together again, sometime in the future.

CAPT. PIKE

Does that bother you, Mr. Spock?

SPOCK

What, Captain?

CAPT. PIKE

I never asked you if you wanted to be promoted off the Enterprise with me. I could have recommended that. If I had, you'd be on your way to being my executive officer on a starbase.

SPOCK

I am aware that this is often done. Capt. Kirk has recommended one of his senior officers for a position on the Enterprise. That is his privilege, as it is your privilege to choose your own executive staff.

CAPT. PIKE

I probably should have talked to you about it, but I made the choice for you. I was afraid that if I made you the offer, you might feel compelled to accept it, compelled to leave the Enterprise. Did I make a mistake?

SPOCK

(frowns) Sir?

CAPT. PIKE

You have a highly developed sense of responsibility, Mr. Spock. You don't necessarily choose the path that's best for you.

SPOCK

"Best" is a highly subjective term, Captain. Vulcans attempt to eliminate subjective terms from their decisions. The goal of a Vulcan with my background and training is to increase the store of knowledge available to sapient beings.

CAPT. PIKE

Maybe I didn't make a mistake, after all.

Pike rises from his chair, putting him on equal stature with the half-Vulcan.

CAPT. PIKE

(cont'd) When people of my background and training say goodbye, they shake hands, but Vulcans….

SPOCK

I will shake your hand, Capt. Pike, if you wish it.

The captain and science officer then clasp hands for the first and final time.​

Back
Top Bottom