• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds - Season 0 (a Discovery S2 edit)

TriggeredPuppy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Just in time for Strange New Worlds season 2, I’m excited to share this fan edit here at FE. It creates a prequel (mini) season to Star Trek Strange New Worlds. With only four episodes and a total run-time of 2 hours and 58 minutes, it's short enough for viewing in one evening. Would love to hear any feedback.

For those who may not know, Star Trek Discovery Season 2 served as a SNW backdoor pilot with Captain Pike and Spock as supporting characters, along with a couple appearances by Number One, before being spun off into their own series. Unfortunately, even if you were open to watching 12+ hours of TV to get an idea of what happened before SNW Season 1, you would be lost half the time as Discovery is highly serialized and relies on knowing what happened during its own season 1.

Flawed as Discovery is in general, season 2 gave me plenty of material for four episodes that I'm calling Season 0 of Strange New Worlds. No Red Angel. Only as much Discovery crew side quests as the plot required. No need for any understanding or outside knowledge of Star Trek Discovery.

With cutting 14 down to 4 (reasonably short) episodes, an exhaustive change list is just not possible. Instead, I'll run through the major elements:

-I open with title cards for the project (accompanied by the first few bars of the Discovery main theme) then dissolve to the new Star Trek intro and fanfare included with every SNW episode.

-Episode I (A Sense of Discovery - 39 minutes) starts with the first and last couple minutes of the Short Trek episode Q&A, allowing me to begin the story with Spock and the Enterprise. The rest of my ep I is parts of Discovery Season 2 episodes 1, 2, 4 and 5 (1 starts things off, followed by a short scene from 2, followed by 5 then 4 driving the episode plot). Ends with Discovery credits and end credit music from SNW.

-Episode II (Not Every Cage is a Prison - 41 minutes) is primarily episode 8 as the A story & part of 7 as a B story, with a scene from 4 (and Number One) at the beginning. Ends with Discovery credits and end credit music, a variation on the Discovery theme that matches the tone of the episode.

-Episode III (Through the Valley of Shadows - 50 minutes) has pieces of 9, 10, 11 and 12, in that order. Ends with Discovery credits and end credit music, a different variation on the Discovery theme that matches the tone of the episode.

-Episode IV (Such Sweet Sorrow - 47 minutes) is entirely made up of the two-part finale, eps 13 and 14, significantly reduced in length. 13 makes up the first quarter of the runtime and 14 is the rest. Ends with Discovery credits and end credit music from SNW again, to tie the project into the larger series.

-I did use some random ship establishing shots and reactions from other episodes as needed.

-Each episode includes custom Star Trek Strange New Worlds opening titles that let me credit the cast of this season (including major Discovery characters) while keeping the feel of SNW.

Hopefully that's enough info to pique people's curiosity. If you have any questions, feel free to ask! (edit - updated episode run times)

Last edited:
Much appreciated Bailey! You were one of several to suggest I finally get my edits over here on FE so this seems like the perfect time and project to start with.

This editor is being mentored by and their edit is currently being reviewed for approval by @krausfadr.

I've seen this edit and it is a spectacular way to get someone interested in Strange New Worlds up to date without needing to watch two seasons of Discovery, which might not be their bag.

Back
Top Bottom