• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Spies Like Us - The Bailey Cut

Bailey

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
View media item 1488
As a kid in the ‘80’s, I loved Spies Like Us, and still do. It was (and still is) one of those movies that when I come across on TBS or something, I must watch. But there was an idea posted by u/gnarlin on Reddit that I liked. The idea was to cut Spies Like Us into a more serious movie. I thought, just for fun, I'd give that a shot. Well, that idea didn't really work, but from that came another idea.

While rewatching I was reminded that this movie is not just a comedy, but it is a very slapsticky comedy. Some of the jokes are way over the top. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I wondered what it would look like as a more straightforward comedy. A little more serious, but still a comedy. So, I trimmed a whole bunch of slapstick, buffoonery, silliness and things that are a little over the top.

Here's the change list of what I can remember:

· Changed the music from the musical that Fitz-Hume is watching to something more patriotic and trimmed the scene around it.

· Trimmed the test scene. Removed some of the over-the-top buffoonery and the fart.

· Trimmed the screaming during the airplane jump.

· Trimmed silliness from the ninja scene. Cut Fitz-Hume trying to use his sister as a bargaining chip. Cut Fitz-Hume’s “hello” instead of saluting. And more.

· Trimmed the training montage. Cut the impact simulator. Cut frozen faces after the G-force test. And rearranged scenes.

· Trimmed the “need to take a leak” conversation.

· Trimmed the “good night, sleep tight” conversation during the getaway from the Russians.

· Cut Fitz-Hume checking the tongue and them both hopping away while tied up.

· Kept the Doctor – Doctor – Doctor – etc. scene because I like it.

· Trimmed and cropped Fitz-Hume grabbing Boyer’s boob.

· Cut Bob Hope’s cameo.

· Trimmed the surgery scene. Cut Millbarge flipping through the book and not knowing where to incise. Trimmed Fitz-Hume fumbling with the surgical tools.

· Trimmed some silliness from the getaway following surgery.

· Trimmed the endless elevator and the screams during it.

· Cut Fitz-Hume speaking camel.

· Cut Fitz-Hume’s “you’ll thank me.”

· Trimmed Fitz-Hume’s silly shock at the Russians showing up while he’s the hostage.

· Trimmed Millbarge’s falling down the hill. It went on way too long.

· Trimmed the bad guys’ silly back and forth with the grenade, they don’t have forever to run away now, and they likely die in the explosion. Credit u/gnarlin, this scene is where this idea began.

· Cut Fitz-Hume falling when trying to jump over the logs.

· Cut the “high-ho Silver, away!” line.

· Cut the “so what, so we owe them a cow?” and “how do we get one?” lines.

· Cut the punk girls tv exploding while watching MTV.

· Cut Fitz-Hume’s “you have a tent?” line.

· Cut Fitz-Hume trying to take the rock to Millbarge.

· Trimmed the amount of time that Fitz-Hume is being shocked.

· Cut Fitz-Hume’s “can I borrow your tent?” line.

· Cut Mr. Ruby and Mr. Keyes lines about being kidnapped.

· Trimmed end credits and changed the music.

There are many more small trims, this list covers all the big ones.

Back
Top Bottom