• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Spicdiver's Dune fanedit released again in Dune Ultimate Edition box set reissue

spicediver

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm very happy to announce that my fanedit Dune The Alternative Edition Redux (aka The Spicediver Cut) has been officially released again on Blu Ray in Europe as part of a reissue of the Dune Ultimate Edition box set by Plaion Pictures (formerly called Koch Media). The reissued box also has new artwork.

This time the box features the Special 1080p Edition of my edit which I finished in July 2022. You can ignore the online listings which say that the Spicediver Cut on this reissue is 720p resolution - that incorrect detail wasn't updated from the previous box set release, which featured a 720p upscale of my 480p standard definition original.

For European buyers only, you can get it from the Plaion Pictures shop here: https://shop.plaionpictures.com/dune-der-wuestenplanet-4k-uhd-5-blu-rays

If you are outside Europe, online stores such as Amazon Germany can ship overseas: https://www.amazon.de/Dune-4K-Blu-ray/dp/B0CVT814V1

A million thanks again to…well, you all know who you are.

May the hand of God be with you :)

DuneBox2023__3DmSticker_%281%29_800x800.jpg

Last edited:
Fantastic! and congratulations. I might make this one of those big combined birthday presents as mine is coming up. This set has the doc as well which the Arrow set sadly did not. Plus IIRC the TV cut is proper 1080p right? Pricey but so much in there.

Is this a Plaion webshop exclusive? I searched on www.amazon.de but couldn't see it.

Update:

The Plaion site is a pain as it's all in German and when I persevered they don't seem to deliver to the UK. The other link to jpc.de though was super easy to use. The order is in!

Last edited:
This is truly a faneditor's dream come true, the only other example I can think of is the fan-recut of Raising Cain that became the Director's Cut! Bit much to hope, but one wonders if this could ever happen again.

Awesome. I don't think I'll have a chance to buy a copy but that's really cool to know.

I'm sure you've told the story before, but how did this happen? And has David Lynch seen your edit?

This is truly a faneditor's dream come true, the only other example I can think of is the fan-recut of Raising Cain that became the Director's Cut! Bit much to hope, but one wonders if this could ever happen again.

I believe there's the Ulysses Cut of Waterworld as well.

I'm sure you've told the story before, but how did this happen?
A few years ago, Mark Bennett from DuneInfo passed on a message to me from Koch Films in Germany (now Plaion Pictures), who wanted to talk to me about releasing Dune Redux. I couldn't quite believe that this request was real. But I contacted them and learned that Koch had indeed asked the film's European rights holders Lionsgate for permission to include this cut as an Extra in a box set. They said yes.

Clearly, there were fans internally at Koch, and it seems legal counsel at Lionsgate took a progressive view of these matters. After a while, I reached a point where a felt I could trust Koch Films to release the edit as-is and ensure that I was credited. That potential issue is what kept me up at night. I provided them with the lossless master file and they kept their word. I'm beyond grateful for that.

That such a release was even possible is at least partly down to the unusual way Dune was originally financed and sold. Dino De Laurentiis was an independent producer who would raise money for his productions be pre-selling the rights to different territories around the world. Often, that wasn't the same company across each territory. So outside the USA, different rights holders could make their own decisions about their intellectual property.

Last edited:
I believe there's the Ulysses Cut of Waterworld as well.

And one version of the Cabal Cut of Nightbreed was officially released, which was an actual collaboration between fans and the writer/director Clive Barker.

But the story of what happened to the Ulysses Cut of Waterworld is what gave me pause when I was first approached to release Dune. The rights holders of Waterworld did not credit the original faneditor - he was erased from existence. Instead, they just copied his edits and released it as an extended edition.

Yep it wouldn't have hurt to credit the faneditor. Worst than that, if I recall correctly they even altered the original Ulysses Cut as it was primarily released censored. Fortunately the quite recent release from Arrow Video is uncensored, but still no mention of the original faneditor.
Congrats for the new release of your edit, it has become my go to version of the movie.

Last edited:
The link to www.jpc.de was super easy to use. The order is in!

I take that back! They cancelled and refunded my order suddenly just saying it "can not be delivered" :cry:

Thankfully in the meantime, the set is now available through www.amazon.de (which I've used before) so I've re-ordered it from them. Fingers crossed.

FYI: You can just sign into the German Amazon site with your non-German Amazon account details, select your language from the drop down on the top-right and order as normal. Very easy to use.

Last edited:
FYI: You can just sign into the German Amazon site with your non-German Amazon account details, select your language from the drop down on the top-right and order as normal. Very easy to use.

Yeah you can do that with any country, I use the .co.uk store occasionally because certain titles are easier/cheaper to find there - unfortunately the German and Japanese versions have outrageous shipping prices compared to the UK, at least for anyone in the US. Not sure why since Germany and the UK aren't that far apart, you'd think any Europe shipping would be relatively similar.

I take that back! They cancelled and refunded my order suddenly just saying it "can not be delivered" :cry:

Thankfully in the meantime, the set is now available through www.amazon.de (which I've used before) so I've re-ordered it from them. Fingers crossed.

Yes Amazon Germany has the last remaining stock I understand. Generally speaking, premium box sets for videos are usually very limited runs, especially for older films.

Order placed: one less in remaining stock! 😁
A fantastic example that fanedits can be officially released and purchased.
Applause to the outstanding quality of @spicediver 's editing efforts, Koch's vision to make the best possible release, and Lionsgate's love for the film! 🥳

Yes, but your Prime account will not work. In other words, if you have a Prime account that grants you free shipping in another country, it will not work when ordering from the .de version.

And has David Lynch seen your edit?
I was under the impression that Lynch has more or less disowned Dune and has no interest in any of the alternate cuts. I could be wrong though.

I was under the impression that Lynch has more or less disowned Dune and has no interest in any of the alternate cuts. I could be wrong though.
His position has softened somewhat as of 2022, at least on the idea of actually revisiting it.

But Dune—people have said, “Don’t you want to go back and fiddle with Dune?” And I was so depressed and sickened by it, you know? I want to say, I loved everybody that I worked with; they were so fantastic. I loved all the actors; I loved the crew; I loved working in Mexico; I loved everything except that I didn’t have final cut. And I even loved Dino [De Laurentiis], who wouldn’t give me what I wanted [laughs]. And Raffaella, the producer, who was his daughter—I loved her. But the thing was a horrible sadness and failure to me, and if I could go back in I’ve thought, well, maybe I would on that one go back in... but I mean, nobody’s…it’s not going to happen.

I wanted to walk away. I always say, and it’s true, that with Dune, I sold out before I finished. It’s not like there’s a bunch of gold in the vaults waiting to be cut and put back together. It’s like, early on I knew what Dino wanted and what I could get away with and what I couldn’t. And so I started selling out, and it’s a sad, sad, pathetic, ridiculous story. But I would like to see what is there. I can’t remember, that’s the weird thing [laughs]. I can’t remember. And so it might be interesting—there could be something there. But I don’t think it’s a silk purse. I know it’s a sow’s ear.
I'm guessing he's still got no interest in alternate cuts that are not his own.

Back
Top Bottom