• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Soul Music: The Imp Y Celyn story

Dantango

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Soul Music was a 7 part British animated series from 1996, made on a television budget and panned for its typical Cosgrove Hall animation (photocopying sketches onto cels to save money, Etc....) It has been adapted too well in places, and not well at all, being the 3rd book in the death story-line it doesn't explain things from other books, like Deaths daughter, the concept of deaths house and so on.

Terry Pratchett is almost impossible to successfully adapt to visual medium because his humour comes from the way things are written, not just word play but descriptions themselves, which get totally lost when being adapted. There are no chapters just lots of interwoven story-lines which occasionally meet.
So I've decided to present it as more of a Biopic, No time travel, no alternative universes just the basics of the plot with as much of the humour intact as possible. A country boy becomes the greatest musician on the Disc, meanwhile Death (The Grim Reaper) has disappeared and someone else needs to fill in, we release why the same time Susan does.

I sourced from the German 2 disc DVD release where it was backed with Wyrd Sisters (An adaptation which suffers similar problems), which was sadly very compressed, which doesn't help Cosgrove Halls Jagged black outlined cels.
soulmusiccomp0.png

I've re-coloured to try and remove the slight green tint, de-saturated, and up-scaled to 720.
soulmusiccomp4.png

soulmusiccomp5.png

I've tried to crop and re-frame mistakes where you can see the edge of cels.
soulmusiccomp3.png

soulmusiccomp8.png

soulmusiccomp1.png

Changes:
About 70 minutes have been cut, a lot of rearranging of scenes to hide episode starts and ends:

• Episode 1 opens with the credits, then the band members meeting at the musicians guild, everything before this has been cut, scenes have been rearranged to introduce the band, the concept of guilds, The Death of rats, Death's disappearance and then Susan and her parents death, no flashbacks at this point, all is happening in the present day. This episode ends at the 11 minute mark.

• Episode 2, 3 and 4 are very interwoven: Susan finds out who her family are while the band prepare to play their first gig. It's here the university the librarian is introduced and we find out that death has joined the foreign legion.
    We get some of Susan’s back story here in flashback. Susan starts her job, sees the band and Imp Y Celyn is not killed by the axe etc. The librarian runs off and the Wizards are introduced by the 30 minute mark at the breakfast table the following morning.
    The Band members take new "more appropriate" names, more stoney too..... but not rolling stones.

• The Wizard’s then decide watch a concert and trap music, Susan tries to warn Imp Y Celyn and episode 4 ends at about the 50 minute mark.

• Episode 5, 6 and 7 are more or less the same but with all alternative timelines and time travel removed, rearrangements due to cliffhangers, there are loads of little trims to help with the flow and pacing. The ending is changed because of the removal of alternative timelines and time travel. Simplifying an overly complex bunch of subplots which are not fully explored due to being adapted from the 3rd in a 5 book "Death arc" down to it's basic premise, even Death can't prevent death.

Last edited:
I finally found this on ebay. Asking to have this reviewed is a big ask but I went ahead and purchased it. Is it only available on DVD?

This edit is approved. And what an edit it is. I had totally forgotten about the classic series that it is based on. Congratulations, Dantango! Are you going to bring us more if these forgotten classics? You have a plethora of classics by Bakshi...

Love those posters! Must be quite an artist. 🎨 😉

You must choose one to be your main one.

Thank you.
I have other things in mind, finding the time right now is the big issue.
I've chosen the guitar one, with the death of rats, tough decision as the main poster.

This is great!

As a huge Pratchet fan I own all the books and all the series/movies that have been released on disc but the quality is a little rough on several and haven't been able to talk some people into watching them. This might bring a few to give Soul Music a finish as it was a bit hard to make it through.

Good question, I'm not sure it makes much difference. It can be navigated to through the menus. It's such an obscure gem you'd either have to look for it speficically or stumble across it accidently, it's not something that is going to be hurt by a broken link.

I like to make links to the FanEdit's IFDB page on the Emby page for each of them. I'd rather stick with the long term link if we can tell which one it will stay at?

Good question, I'm not sure it makes much difference. It can be navigated to through the menus. It's such an obscure gem you'd either have to look for it speficically or stumble across it accidently, it's not something that is going to be hurt by a broken link.
#staff
This seems to be a glitch in the system. If you PM TM2YC they might be able to fix the URL.

Back
Top Bottom