• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Sony Vegas Pro Vs. Premiere Pro

In Vegas, you can crossfade all your tracks at once, you just have to group them together. What you can't do AFAIK is fade more than one at a time.

TV's Frink said:
In Vegas, you can crossfade all your tracks at once.

Man, I wish I knew how to do that in Premiere Pro. That would save so much time!

And it's really easy in Vegas. Like I said, you just group all your tracks, and make sure you have auto-crossfade turned on. Then you drag one track over the crosstrack and all the others come with. :)

I don't think so. Please, someone prove me wrong!

TV's Frink said:
Then I guess I don't understand why you want edits on Blu-ray, if you don't care about the source. You just want better menus?

As far as backwards compatibility, my understanding is that the Blu-ray Disc Association requires it as part of the format.
As for BluRay I was just operating under the opinion that using the a more up-to-date format would be nice...in essence at least, so it is just my opinion, not a factual base point, nor one that needs to be of complete logic. As for the menus, yes, I think they are prettier :)

For backwards compatibility, I could be wrong, but the disc format and laser method to read are different so they have to added that in. I don't mind wiki as a source but this is what is stated there:
"Though not compulsory, the Blu-ray Disc Association recommends that Blu-ray Disc drives be capable of reading standard DVDs and CDs, for backward compatibility. A few early Blu-ray Disc players released in 2006 could play DVDs but not CDs."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc#Backward_compatibility

njvc said:
Man, I wish I knew how to do that in Premiere Pro. That would save so much time!

You can, but it's a little quirky. You have to configure the fade length in Preferences, and then you need to use the hotkey combo...I think it's Ctl-T for audio.

ByteShare said:
I was just thinking the BluRay menus were more forward thinking since you can have more interactivity.

That statement is debatable. I suppose there are some arguments to be made if you give a shit about blu-ray live (never thought about this until now but it might be interesting to have a blu-ray live link to fanedit.org and IFDB??). Beyond that, I am struggling to think of anything major you can do with a blu-ray menu that you can't do with a DVD menu.

Both of my edits found in my signature have blu-ray versions. The Two Towers is a more sophisticated menu. The DVD version is the same menu other than the video being lower resolution.

As for as the source it doesn't matter, you can use a DVD source for making a BluRay

Technically what you say is true. Sure, you could use BD instead of DVD format for an MPEG2 file or even covert it to MPEG4 but leave the resolution at DVD scale. But that would be illogical. Unless your source material is HD, it makes more sense to work with DVD menus, which are much easier to work with, and release a product that is compatible for all. Blu-Ray backwards compatibility with DVD will most likely never go away. We will have moved on to something new before that happens.

geminigod said:
That statement is debatable. I suppose there are some arguments to be made if you give a shit about blu-ray live (never thought about this until now but it might be interesting to have a blu-ray live link to fanedit.org and IFDB??). Beyond that, I am struggling to think of anything major you can do with a blu-ray menu that you can't do with a DVD menu.

Both of my edits found in my signature have blu-ray versions. The Two Towers is a more sophisticated menu. The DVD version is the same menu other than the video being lower resolution.

Technically what you say is true. Sure, you could use BD instead of DVD format for an MPEG2 file or even covert it to MPEG4 but leave the resolution at DVD scale. But that would be illogical. Unless your source material is HD, it makes more sense to work with DVD menus, which are much easier to work with, and release a product that is compatible for all. Blu-Ray backwards compatibility with DVD will most likely never go away. We will have moved on to something new before that happens.

You can do more with BluRay menus than just live over DVD. There are popup menus while playing and it allows you do interactivity such as side by side without having to make a separate video creation. I hadn't even thought about the live feature that would be interesting.

As for being "illogical" I can't agree because I never burn DVD's to play them from FE. I just play them off my computer so to me it is illogical to even make them in a disc format but while saying this I could see the cost benefit if you did have to burn them, but if you don't have to burn them then BluRay would give you a few more options. MPEP4, does it give better compression/quality than MPEG2 for the formats specific to the discs? I could see the ease of working with DVD as well though. If they got rid of some backwards compatibility of the CompactDisc in some players (in 2006) I don't see why they wouldn't do the same for DVD since they have to pay to add that in each player.

I will say that if it is easier than that is the only point you need to make, because making a FanEdit is often enough challenge that I wouldn't want someone to give up or not even start because of a daunting task.

ByteShare said:
You can do more with BluRay menus than just live over DVD. There are popup menus while playing and it allows you do interactivity such as side by side without having to make a separate video creation.

Good point out of other features. I can only speak for DVD Architect which sucks for handling BD authoring, but that program does not support any of those fancy BD features.

Bottom line is its just a compatibility issue. One version and it will work on any computer or standalone player.

In answer to one of your questions, yes, the MPEG4 formats used by BD do compress significantly better than MPEG2 DVD, which is definitely the best argument if favor of your proposition to abandon DVD entirely.

geminigod said:
Good point out of other features. I can only speak for DVD Architect which sucks for handling BD authoring, but that program does not support any of those fancy BD features.

Bottom line is its just a compatibility issue. One version and it will work on any computer or standalone player.

In answer to one of your questions, yes, the MPEG4 formats used by BD do compress significantly better than MPEG2 DVD, which is definitely the best argument if favor of your proposition to abandon DVD entirely.
Oh, the compression information is good news if more people do move that direction but as for compatibility in the player department I think that will be a sticking point for a while. If we were talking computer only though it wouldn't matter much either way you go BD, DVD, AVI, MKV, Etc... because of VLC, MPC, and the like. I'm sure that DVD will be a "Fan" favorite for a while on FE :)

ByteShare said:
Oh, the compression information is good news if more people do move that direction but as for compatibility in the player department I think that will be a sticking point for a while. If we were talking computer only though it wouldn't matter much either way you go BD, DVD, AVI, MKV, Etc... because of VLC, MPC, and the like. I'm sure that DVD will be a "Fan" favorite for a while on FE :)

Even with computers BD is still a problem. Last I checked, there were still no good free media players that have full feature support for BD. Most like VLC can't even play it at all. You have to buy a $50-$100 piece of software and have some basic technical knowledge about how to monkey around with disc images.

Life is easy if you say, "I don't care about menus or supporting standalone players," but the minute you take a stand on one of those two issues, things get complicated.

geminigod said:
Even with computers BD is still a problem. Last I checked, there were still no good free media players that have full feature support for BD. Most like VLC can't even play it at all. You have to buy a $50-$100 piece of software and have some basic technical knowledge about how to monkey around with disc images.

Life is easy if you say, "I don't care about menus or supporting standalone players," but the minute you take a stand on one of those two issues, things get complicated.
VLC can play BluRay if you install a free plugin, XBMC same situation, MPC-HC nothing extra needed and it will play BluRay.

This is the second time we've wandered off-topic (first was partly my fault, but still). Let's get back to Vegas v. Premiere.

ByteShare said:
VLC can play BluRay if you install a free plugin

Interesting. Does it have menu support? Links please.

Media Player Classic has supported basic BD playback for a long while now, and I have referred people to it in the past, but last I checked it didn't have menu support. Not having menu support defeats half the purpose of releasing something in BD instead just making a basic MKV or MP4 file containing only the main movie.

Back
Top Bottom