• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Short Film made by users of FE.org and IFDb

INIGHTMARES

FE Academy Member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anyone in the forums here ever thought about making a live action short film or even a full length film with us as the editors and makers and even actors? I'd love to venture into making original films. I have ideas if anyone is interested.

I'd be interested maybe.
It's a bit hard to do things remotely but what do you have in mind?
Heya @tremault :) So to give a little more of what I am bouncing around in my head.. I think it would be cool to shoot a short film on a shoestring budget, to start. We have so many editors on this site that could contribute there. We have creative people here that come up with unique and awesome ideas. But maybe those ideas need more hands to accomplish them. That is why I say we could do a short film together.

I've always been kind of a writer. I love to write and am always coming up with ideas in my mind's eye. I'd love to collaborate with whoever wants to come up with a script or a story or ideas to further brainstorm. I have stuff I've written but I think a collaborative writing would be ideal to start with.

After we have an idea of a story, which doesn't have to be a perfectly written and formatted screenplay, we all can work with it and follow it as a makeshift script.

Whoever wants to join in on this can. I want anyone and everyone from FE.org who wants in to join in with ideas, insight, or even joining to act on-screen! Anyone's contributions will be recorded and credited in FULL. If someone puts in 10x more work than another FE.org member they will both be credited accordingly, in a descending order. This would be a group effort, but everyone involved will get credited according to the amount of input and help they've contributed.

I think getting actors might be the hardest part. A lot of us are camera shy or shy in general or don't want to be on camera. Once we get interested people in on the idea and to join, then we can work on a story that fits the kind of "actors" we are able to also get. I am shy but I think if convinced I would get in front of the camera rather than where I like to be, which is behind the camera.

I think there are easily enough people on this site who are talented and capable enough to collaborate on a short film, or mini-documentary, or even eventually a full length film. Start smaller of course.

In college I should have pursued this more but I didn't.

Last edited:
Cool, well I don't consider myself much of a writer, although I do go to creative writing class and been told that my writing is good to go. I can only do small bits of writing though, that'll be the ADHD. I like to think I know cinematography, but I don't have a decent camera, just my phone camera, not ideal. I could potentially do simple storyboards and I'd like to do bits of editing perhaps. I like to think I am able to understand the core of a story and ensure the focus is on that.
I don't know a lot of people who could be actors, but I do know the owner of Revere film in the UK and am good friends with a junior animator in Aardman. Not sure if they would be able to help out at some point.

I slightly edited my reply for clarity and consistency, just fyi đź‘Ś

Cool, well I don't consider myself much of a writer, although I do go to creative writing class and been told that my writing is good to go. I can only do small bits of writing though, that'll be the ADHD. I like to think I know cinematography, but I don't have a decent camera, just my phone camera, not ideal. I could potentially do simple storyboards and I'd like to do bits of editing perhaps. I like to think I am able to understand the core of a story and ensure the focus is on that.
I don't know a lot of people who could be actors, but I do know the owner of Revere film in the UK and am good friends with a junior animator in Aardman. Not sure if they would be able to help out at some point.
Your insights would absolutely be useful and wanted. I'm a guy and if I am reading your signature right you're a woman. So you have a unique perspective there right off the bat, which is great. And your connection to small film studios is great. I have a buddy I plan to reach out to that films short commercials and small music videos. I might try to get him involved.

About cameras, we would definitely start with whatever we have. I have a DSLR camera, so I can use that and my iPhone. I have a tripod.

What we need is interested people to just say so, even if the interest is hesitant and unsure. That way we have a general idea of interest. And then we can write a story around the types of people who have joined. It wouldn't make sense to do a short film about an obese man when all we have are skinny people who wanted to work on this movie. We'd write a story around what we have, our strengths.

Your insights would absolutely be useful and wanted. I'm a guy and if I am reading your signature right you're a woman. So you have a unique perspective there right off the bat, which is great.
I do have a unique perspective yeah.
What we need is interested people to just say so, even if the interest is hesitant and unsure. That way we have a general idea of interest. And then we can write a story around the types of people who have joined. It wouldn't make sense to do a short film about an obese man when all we have are skinny people who wanted to work on this movie. We'd write a story around what we have, our strengths.
I think what might be important is an open source mentality. I think for something over the online, it can get complex, so if it were more open source then it would become simpler. So what I mean about that is, if we have a scene that has been filmed then somebody could take that footage and do the editing, but if they are unresponsive or decide not to do it then someone else can take over. or, maybe multiple people could work on it and so we could have different versions? like how we have different versions of theatrical movies, we could have a similar situation? It's an idea.

Interesting project! The logistics of remote collabs would be a huge challenge though. Well maybe not so for pre and post, but filming and continuity... I think such a project should find a story that works with that challenge. Sense8 comes to mind right now!

I've made many mountain hiking videos (LIKE THIS but that's the old one with not that good quality, I usually don't share these), some wedding videos, vacation videos etc using Canon camcorder, GoPro and some chinese sport camera. Usually making intros to all of these that sometimes mimicking some TV show intros (like Dynasty or Baywatch).

Never tried anything with actual plot or actors though.

Dude that is some gnarly hiking about the 6 minute mark.
I've made many mountain hiking videos (LIKE THIS but that's the old one with not that good quality, I usually don't share these), some wedding videos, vacation videos etc using Canon camcorder, GoPro and some chinese sport camera. Usually making intros to all of these that sometimes mimicking some TV show intros (like Dynasty or Baywatch).

Never tried anything with actual plot or actors though.
Right now all anyone interested needs to do is just that, just be interested. That way we can just discuss ideas without anyone feeling like they're committed to anything by just replying to the thread. Right now this is just in the brainstorming phase for anyone mildly interested.

When I was younger me and my best mates would film Indiana Jones "movies" with our parents' VHS camcorder. Good times. Later in life I did just lots of more editing and writing of short stories and even making short films via making machinima.

I've gone to film festivals and watched random movies and shorts and documentaries. It's interesting. Some of the films are NOT GOOD/CRINGE and I think we could do better. Seriously, the amount of brainpower on this site is EASILY enough to make something happen.

Here's a short film I produced, where I also served as the lead editor. This was about 8 years ago, so it's kinda rough compared to where I'm at now.

Here's a short film I acted in a couple years ago. Gotta give a content warning for this one... It's very weird. Inspired by the absurdist humor of I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson. This went to a handful of festivals, including one run by Kevin Smith! I got to meet him in December of '22. That was pretty cool.

I presently have a few films doing a festival circuit that will be online in a few months!

Also, while I know this isn't directly related to the post topic, I figured I'd share. I'm an actor full time, mostly commercials though I just had a small role in a feature film. I actually make my living by teaching acting classes (improv comedy, mostly), and during the pandemic lockdown I taught a screenwriting class online. If you'd like any pointers or advice, feel free to shoot me a DM!

Last edited:
I wanted to share one more short film I acted in!

The writing isn't the best, but it was a great experience and something I was proud to be involved in.

Back
Top Bottom